Author Topic: GPS Signal Lost 0 found  (Read 5342 times)

rjevansuk

GPS Signal Lost 0 found
« on: July 09, 2019, 05:33:31 pm »
I installed the latest update 20190621, re-input the configuration settings, Hex-id. licence key etc. all working fine in my study.
Tried it in the plane today on the ground. I have 3 reds
P3I RX=0 TX=0 CRC=0
Barometer Configuring manual QNH=1013 QNE=107ft
GPS Unavailable

I tried repositioning the unit, even put it outside, thinking that it was not receiving GPS signals.

OK problem sorted. the GPS dongle was lose, so I pushed it. Now 4 greens
« Last Edit: July 09, 2019, 05:48:46 pm by rjevansuk »

davidbu99

Re: GPS Signal Lost 0 found
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2019, 05:49:39 pm »
Oddly I had the same experience today after loading the new release. Albeit situated at home it took the best part of 30 minutes to start identifying satellites. On subsequent restarts it's been absolutely fine. I have seen this previously as well. I'm sure there is a good explanation to this somewhere. 

I've noticed something similar on the Stratux on other notice boards which implies first initialisation takes a long time.

Admin

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2019, 07:05:33 pm »
Yep, sometimes needs to update its data from the satellite
The satellites drift in orbit, and they need to provide data to the gps devices

CliveJ

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2019, 12:50:26 pm »
Mine has been erratic ever since the new software, sometimes the WiFi doesn't work, no apparent reason and then it works. Latest is GPS signal lost O found. Traffic still being picked up, I can talk with it via the browser.
Flew for over 2 hours yesterday and the 0 found was still up when we tried at the end of the flying.
It's starting to be a right pain and I'm spending too much time messing about with it.
I just want it to work like it did for the first 18 months. This is a classic but prior the software upgrade it was just a bit of a pain.
Can I get the previous software from somewhere? I thought I had it in my PC but can't find it, what was it called?
Thanks, Regards, Clive

exfirepro

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2019, 02:10:00 pm »
Hi Clive,

If you want to try reverting, you can still download a full installation image of the previous software version (20180520) from the site at https://pilotaware.lode.co.uk/ . If you do decide to do this, I suggest you load it onto a new microSD card (or one which has been fully reformatted using SDFormatter).

Before doing so, can I suggest you try setting the ‘Device Connect Setting’ in PAW/Configure from ‘Auto’ to whatever connection you normally use in your Nav System and see if that sorts the problem.

Please let us know.

Regards

Peter

Admin

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2019, 02:47:03 pm »
I presume it is SD reporting this, have you updated SD in between running 20180520 and 20190621 ?
Also, if you provide the track file we can determine if PilotAware is REALLY experiencing GPS issues reported in SD

Thx
Lee

CliveJ

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2019, 12:44:48 pm »
Hi Lee, yes SkyD has been updated, does that have an effect?

Remind me how to get a logfile and I'll get one.

The little green light on the GPS dongle is flashing OK.

Thanks, Regards, Clive

CliveJ

« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2019, 05:01:55 pm »
Have sent you some screen shots and log files snatches, Thanks, Regards, Clive

Admin

« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2019, 06:10:50 pm »
Have sent you some screen shots and log files snatches, Thanks, Regards, Clive

Hi Clive,
That looks like a real GPS issue. Unrelated to S/W this is reporting exactly what the GPS says.
Are you getting any reports of undervoltage on the Home Page ?

Also what type of GPS is this, remote mouse or USB Dongle ?

Thx
Lee

grahambaker

« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2019, 07:50:40 pm »
Hi Lee, yes SkyD has been updated, does that have an effect?

Remind me how to get a logfile and I'll get one.

The little green light on the GPS dongle is flashing OK.

Thanks, Regards, Clive
It's been a known issue in SkyDemon that when you do a version upgrade, it resets the 3rd Party Devices switches. Try checking them to make sure it's 'listening' properly.

Wadoadi

« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2019, 11:14:21 pm »
I installed the latest update 20190621, re-input the configuration settings, Hex-id. licence key etc. all working fine in my study.
Tried it in the plane today on the ground. I have 3 reds
P3I RX=0 TX=0 CRC=0
Barometer Configuring manual QNH=1013 QNE=107ft
GPS Unavailable

I tried repositioning the unit, even put it outside, thinking that it was not receiving GPS signals.

OK problem sorted. the GPS dongle was lose, so I pushed it. Now 4 greens

I had two pilotaware users bring me there PaW with the same issue Sunday, GPS green flashing light but SD reporting no GPS. Both were the new larger Stratux GPS, and both were partly out. Pushing them fully home fixed them both. A bit of self adhesive foam behind the GPS should sort it out!

The status page showed no gps was plugged in which was the give away!

I had never seen this before and I look after about 12 units for different people!

exfirepro

« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2019, 08:46:07 am »
Hi Adi,

Thanks for reporting these additional instances of this fault. It’s always of some concern when we get a few similar reports over a short time period. Certainly one for Ash in Production to be aware of as a ‘potential’ quality control issue, though not necessarily indicative of one. Also useful for the rest of us out there providing ‘User Support’ to bear in mind too, though USB connections are in my experience generally pretty reliable.

Also bear in mind that the banner ‘GPS Signal Lost - 0 Found’ on SkyDemon often appears immediately after selecting ‘Go Flying - Use xxxx’ as a consequence of the new connectivity pre-checks instigated by Lee in PilotAware Version 20190621, though this rapidly changes to ‘normal operation’ as soon as connectivity is firmly established.

Best Regards

Peter
« Last Edit: September 18, 2019, 08:53:54 am by exfirepro »

Admin

« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2019, 09:31:48 am »
Also bear in mind that the banner ‘GPS Signal Lost - 0 Found’ on SkyDemon often appears immediately after selecting ‘Go Flying - Use xxxx’ as a consequence of the new connectivity pre-checks instigated by Lee in PilotAware Version 20190621, though this rapidly changes to ‘normal operation’ as soon as connectivity is firmly established.

Just for clarification.
This is due to a polling mechanism to establish what protocol the attached EFB Device is using (PilotAware, Flarm, GDL90)
this can be fixed in the Configure menu in order to connect immediately without the polling phase, and in fact is recommended.
In the next release, this will default to the PilotAware connection method

Thx
Lee

CliveJ

« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2019, 02:56:35 pm »
I've got the VK-162 GPS on it's way as you suggested Lee and will revert to the new software when I try it.
Just to be clear, will I need to do any configuration with the new GPS or is it plug and play? (If so where and how?).
Thanks again, Clive

Admin

« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2019, 05:11:13 pm »
Plug n play
Thx
Lee