Author Topic: SOLVED: Rosetta power + Charge2 USB unit, wifi disconnections  (Read 2865 times)

MartC

Hi, we are in the initial stage of installation of a brand new Rosetta in our Jodel, with long term view of permanent installation (we have also bought the external antenna kit), but frustratingly have had two abortive attempts to get the unit working in the aircraft. We have a Charge2 USB power supply, installed and working faultlessly for more than 2 years powering a 1A mini iPad and 2A XPS150 GPS sender. The Rosetta works faultlessly with the supplied cable on ground wall socket power and via a car USB socket, but once in the aircraft, fails to connect or loses wifi connection. It looks like a power issue as outlined in many places on this forum. However, we are at a loss to understand it bearing in mind we have the right kit and cabling. Before going to the effort and cost of having all the aircraft wiring and avionics examined, a question about the Charge2 unit.

We have (I believe) a fairly new 18V battery for starting the engine and operating general systems, checking this. We always see low volt light on start up until the (old) generator gets up to speed, and this will come on when all systems drawing power (i.e. switching on electric fuel pump to land). The iPad and GPS plugged into Charge2 work correctly immediately although there is a slight pause after turning on Master switch before the two green lights showing power supplied to the devices appear. On our Rosetta connection, we don't plug in the iPad or the GPS and only the Rosetta is connected. The Charge2 power indicator light shows continuous green -  even though the start up period power on the main supply side may be below 18v (more like 12-14v on the ammeter) until the generator gets going to add juice back into the battery. Does this indicator guarantee that the output side from the USB socket to the Rosetta is at or above the 5.2V that Rosetta needs and is stable, or is there still a possibility that Charge2 output is fluctuating /interrupted? It looks like the Charge2 is not providing the correct or continuous power to Rosetta as the unit works absolutely fine from ground mains power.

Any pointers would be appreciated so that we can investigate further. Don't want to go down the route of portable battery power as we already have a perfectly (we think) usable solid power supply in the aircraft, although the infrastructure behind the Charge2 may need to be inspected.

« Last Edit: July 26, 2019, 11:50:26 am by Admin »

MartC

Re: Rosetta power + Charge2 USB unit, wifi disconnections
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2019, 04:26:58 pm »
We have updated Rosetta to the latest 2019 software 20190621

Admin

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2019, 04:30:25 pm »
Hi MartC

Please contact Jeremy Curtis, how old is your charge2 - I recall Jeremy mentioning that there was a required firmware update for the unit, so it will depend upon what version of firmware you have installed.

If I recall it would be a unit on or before early 2015

One other thing to check, if you can get to the PilotAware home page, there is now a status indicator for a voltage problem reported - maybe you can get to that before it glitches to see what it says ?

Thx
Lee
« Last Edit: July 09, 2019, 04:34:30 pm by Admin »

JCurtis

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2019, 04:55:57 pm »
Hi MartC

To answer your questions about Charge2...

...a question about the Charge2 unit.

We have (I believe) a fairly new 18V battery for starting the engine and operating general systems, checking this. We always see low volt light on start up until the (old) generator gets up to speed, and this will come on when all systems drawing power (i.e. switching on electric fuel pump to land). The iPad and GPS plugged into Charge2 work correctly immediately although there is a slight pause after turning on Master switch before the two green lights showing power supplied to the devices appear.

There is a delay in Charge2 supplying power, you will see it does a quick self test (the lights flash on each port) before it turns the power on to the sockets.  It does this sequentially, so you will see one green light come on at a time.

On our Rosetta connection, we don't plug in the iPad or the GPS and only the Rosetta is connected. The Charge2 power indicator light shows continuous green -  even though the start up period power on the main supply side may be below 18v (more like 12-14v on the ammeter) until the generator gets going to add juice back into the battery. Does this indicator guarantee that the output side from the USB socket to the Rosetta is at or above the 5.2V that Rosetta needs and is stable, or is there still a possibility that Charge2 output is fluctuating /interrupted? It looks like the Charge2 is not providing the correct or continuous power to Rosetta as the unit works absolutely fine from ground mains power.

A Charge2 will supply power when the input is between ~10v and ~30v, if the light stays green and it doesn't reboot with a low input voltage the output will be a steady ~5.25v.  You can easily have the Rosetta + something else, as each port can supply up to 2.4A.  You can plug a laptop into the port in the back (details in the manual, on the website) and it will tell the power being drawn by the each port every few seconds.

Any pointers would be appreciated so that we can investigate further. Don't want to go down the route of portable battery power as we already have a perfectly (we think) usable solid power supply in the aircraft, although the infrastructure behind the Charge2 may need to be inspected.

If you can let me have the serial number on the Charge2 I can check it, either message me on here or drop me an e-mail to office@harkwood.co.uk
If you can get the aircraft to Cambridge (EGSC) or Conington (EGSF) then I'd be happy to take a look at the Charge2 in situ to confirm all is at it should be.

I don't suppose this is an aircraft panel mount version (the larger square front for an instrument hole), and that you for Dorset way?  Would a purchase of early be 2015 be about right?  If so get in touch, as Lee has said, the *really* early units need a tweak.
Designer and maker of charge4.harkwood.co.uk, smart universal USB chargers designed for aviation.  USB Type-A and USB-C power without the RF interference. Approved for EASA installs under CS-STAN too.

MartC

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2019, 05:22:04 pm »
Lee /Jeremy, many thanks for fast response. Yes its a 2015 panel mount, I don’t have the serial number to hand but the original order was dated 2/2/2015 order number RC17267537. Delivered to my home address (then) in Shaftesbury, Dorset, aircraft based at Henstridge. The software update, can that be applied by us on the aircraft or does the unit need to come out to you? We can alternatively fly up to Cambridge /Connington by arrangement to see you at some point. Many thanks again for your help.

JCurtis

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2019, 05:33:46 pm »
Lee /Jeremy, many thanks for fast response. Yes its a 2015 panel mount, I don’t have the serial number to hand but the original order was dated 2/2/2015 order number RC17267537. Delivered to my home address (then) in Shaftesbury, Dorset, aircraft based at Henstridge. The software update, can that be applied by us on the aircraft or does the unit need to come out to you? We can alternatively fly up to Cambridge /Connington by arrangement to see you at some point. Many thanks again for your help.

Ah, I know who you are.  Yes, the unit will need some TLC to work properly with Pilotaware, not something that you can do I'm afraid.
So it is either send it back to me for tweaking, or we can meet up and I can do what's needed.
Designer and maker of charge4.harkwood.co.uk, smart universal USB chargers designed for aviation.  USB Type-A and USB-C power without the RF interference. Approved for EASA installs under CS-STAN too.

MartC

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2019, 07:42:54 pm »
Jeremy, brilliant, we’ll be in touch!

JCurtis

« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2019, 12:55:25 pm »
Jeremy, brilliant, we’ll be in touch!

Just a follow up to this, date arranged to sort this Charge2 unit out for MartC.

MartC

(RESOLVED) Rosetta power + Charge2 USB unit, wifi disconnections
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2019, 10:16:06 am »
UPDATE - issue RESOLVED with upgrade to Charge2 USB socket. Many thanks to Jeremy Curtis of Harkwood Services for meeting us at Conington to perform the upgrade directly on our Jodel, (swapping our old 2015 early Charge2 box with new internals), entirely free of charge. Flawless customer service from a small company delivering superb quality product. It was great to meet you. Pleased to report that our Rosetta now works perfectly via the updated power socket software and put to great use on our return trip. At one point passing north of Bicester /Brize Norton (we were also receiving a Traffic Service from Brize Radar), we were surrounded by about 5-6 reported contacts, all of whom shown on Skydemon and one of which passed down close to our right hand side which we followed on Skydemon and spotted visually well in advance. We now need to get on with permanent installation so that we can improve antenna positioning and get some more airtime to gain experience with the traffic system and settings. Thanks to both Lee and Jeremy for speedy response getting us up and running.