Author Topic: USB socket for GPS dongle  (Read 3776 times)

Robin

USB socket for GPS dongle
« on: July 08, 2019, 06:29:22 pm »
I happened to notice when I opened the rear case of my Rosetta today that the USB dongle is in the Upper Right Hand socket directly above the radio dongle, and not in the Upper Left socket as depicted and described in the manual. I don't recall ever moving it myself but I suppose I might have done.

Should I move it back to the top left? I did try but it doesn't seem to work in that socket, even if I boot up with a clean new June 2019 software sd.

It does seem to work in the top right socket, but I have often experienced multiple dropouts when coupled to SD on an iPad.

I purchased the Rosetta at Sywell last August/September, if that has any bearing on things. Perhaps the hardware at that time was configured that way.

Any advice appreciated.

Regards,

Robin.

exfirepro

Re: USB socket for GPS dongle
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2019, 07:17:44 pm »
Hi Robin,

It shouldn’t make any difference which port the GPS dongle is in, except that with the newer dongle (which is wider) the case won’t shut if it’s in the top right slot.

If you have installed new software, you need to boot the unit outside with a clear view of the sky so the GPS can find its position and even then it can take 20 minutes or more for the system to unpack and establish its position. Give it time.

Surprised to hear you have been experiencing multiple dropouts with SD. The new software should help, but if not we need to work out what is going on. It is unlikely to be the position of the dongles.

Regards

Peter
« Last Edit: July 08, 2019, 10:44:31 pm by exfirepro »

Admin

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2019, 09:41:54 pm »
Hi
Can you leave your system running for 20 mins or so, then take a screenshot of the home page to post here
Thx
Lee

Robin

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2019, 08:31:20 am »
It seems to be behaving a bit better this morning, though I haven't changed anything since yesterday. Just plugged it in again as before and plonked it on the table in middle of front garden.

I've attached two screenshots, one from yesterday when it was misbehaving badly and one from this morning when all appears well again. However, even this morning at the time I took today's screenshot PAW was also connected to SD, which connected ok but reported the altitude accuracy as a red triangle.

In both cases the unit was out on the front lawn in full view of sky and had been running for at least one hour.

I've also noticed over this summer that it never uses more than a few satelites, regardless of how many it reports as 'viewing'.

Regards and thanks for your assistance,

Robin

Admin

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2019, 12:19:15 pm »
connected ok but reported the altitude accuracy as a red triangle.
What does this mean ?
Can you provide a reference to this from the SD manual ?
Thx
Lee

Robin

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2019, 12:31:30 pm »
Hi Lee,

Sorry I should have been clearer.

SD sets a flag (coloured triangle) in the top corner of it's altitude/height readout to signify the vertical accuracy of the gps signal:

Blue: Accuracy within 50ft
Green: within 100ft
Yellow: within 150ft
Orange: within 250ft
Red: >250ft

SD is currently reporting as orange when using PAW, and green when using the iPad's internal location services.

Regards,

Robin.

Admin

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2019, 01:47:54 pm »
Hi Robin

Thanks for the clarification
Can I ask where that is reported in the SD documentation ?

Also how do you connect PilotAware/SD ?
GDL90, FLARM, PilotAware ?

Thx
Lee
« Last Edit: July 09, 2019, 01:55:45 pm by Admin »

Ian Melville

« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2019, 02:03:14 pm »
Bottom of Page 74. I wasn’t aware of this either.

Note to self: must sit down with a cuppa and read the whole manual.

Cheers
Ian

Admin

« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2019, 04:27:20 pm »
Bottom of Page 74. I wasn’t aware of this either.
Note to self: must sit down with a cuppa and read the whole manual.
Cheers
Ian

I still have no idea what it means, or how it is derived.
I have emailed Tim and Rob directly, so hopefully I can get an understanding.

We actually send both GPS and Baro derived altitude, but I think it is not using the baro altitude

Thx
Lee

Robin

« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2019, 04:38:33 pm »
Whoops, sorry about that.

I didn't know there were multiple ways to connect SD on an iPad to PAW:

Wifi the iPad to PAW
Tell SD to use PilotAware in SD's Setup>Third-Party-Devices
'Go Flying' in SD
Choose 'Use PilotAware' as location source from menu presented by SD

SD then tells you  its lost all its satelites (as it ditches the internal Location Services), but found x satelites (from Wifi), as it then connects to PAW.

Regards,

Robin.

Admin

« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2019, 04:43:00 pm »
Hi Robin

great that is what I was after, so PilotAware is sending both GPS and Baro(1013.25mb) altitude references
I will have to wait from Tim and Rob to understand how that figure is calculated in SkyDemon

Thx
Lee

Admin

« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2019, 01:04:32 pm »
I have been in contact with Tim and Rob
The figure is derived from the reported VDOP - Vertical Dilution of Precision.

Would you be able to provide the track file for when you saw this as red ?
I would like to examine the reported DOP

out of interest was this indoors or outdoors ?

Thx
Lee

Robin

« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2019, 06:39:32 pm »
Hi Lee,

All my observations yesterday were done with PAW outdoors in an open space.

Unfortunately I only have one track file, which doesn't show a red flag (I don't think). It was recorded yesterday afternoon when I was getting green/blue on the internal locations services and orange on the PAW feed.

During the day yesterday while experimenting with the dongle in different sockets and before Peter informed me that the usb socket wasn't an issue, I reformatted the sd card and started again from scratch, so lost the track files up to that point.

I'd be happy to send you the  one I've got, though. Its 7MB in size. I left it running for quite a long time while it settled, and certainly wasn't watching it throughout, so there may be many different 'flag colour' combinations in the file.

Regards,

Robin.

Admin

« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2019, 07:01:58 pm »
Please send, or better if you have dropbox or similar
Thx
Lee

Robin

« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2019, 09:34:43 am »
Hi Lee,

Try this link:

http://cloud-wr-eu2.acronis.com/links/FA935423E5EB835993E47E714DD3900F

This is saved on one of the features of my backup software which I've not used before, so let me know if the link doesn't work.

regards,

Robin.