Author Topic: Heat effect?  (Read 3308 times)

peastlake

Heat effect?
« on: July 02, 2019, 10:48:30 am »
So we’re on a trip from the U.K. to Croatia. It’s been very hot across Italy, around 35 degrees. Yesterday, after a lunch and fuel stop, my iPad wouldn’t connect to my PilotAware. I had to use my Garmin Glo instead (always have a back up!), and that connected.

Would it have been the heat that caused this? And, if so, was it the Pi or the GPS dongle that doesn’t like it?

Admin

Re: Heat effect?
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2019, 10:50:38 am »
Last year I performed the 'hairdryer test', this involves blasting the PI with hot air
I registered a reported temperature of 104'C, so it is unlikely to be the PI
Could it have been the power source ?

Thx
Lee

peastlake

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2019, 11:12:40 am »
Dunno Lee. I’m using a Charge4, charging the iPad mini 5, iPhone 7, and powering the PilotAware

Admin

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2019, 11:22:16 am »
Did any lights come on ?
The GPS not working, would not affect a WiFi connection, you would still connect but it would report no satellites available.

Is this Rosetta or Classic ?

Garmin Glo is Bluetooth isn't it, not WiFi ?

Thx
Lee

peastlake

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2019, 11:40:13 am »
There are lights, and the iPad finds & connects to the WiFi connection (which says “no internet connection “, but is that the software  update?)

But SkyDemon won’t show position. I can’t really do much inflight fiddling in a trike in thermic conditions!

It’s a Classic with the new software.

Glo is Bluetooth

Andy Fell is with me. He thinks it’s the Pi or the GPS dongle, but I can’t see that in flight

Admin

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2019, 01:00:44 pm »
 “no internet connection“ - is normal, it is an intranet hotspot
I had no idea you were currently flying !!!

When on the ground, see if you can see the PilotAware homepage
http://192.168.1.1

Thx
Lee

mariko

« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2019, 04:05:39 pm »
Dont forget to check the Skydemon configuration.
Skydemon update itself in the past weekend and, as usual, it had lost every PAW related configuration
Ciao
  Mariko

peastlake

« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2019, 04:10:26 pm »
No, I’m not flying now Lee. Can’t use the internet in a trike bouncing all over the shop!

A day off today in Vrsar. Hoping to go back to the airfield later.  Will check the 192 page then

JCurtis

« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2019, 07:45:55 pm »
Dunno Lee. I’m using a Charge4, charging the iPad mini 5, iPhone 7, and powering the PilotAware

The Charge4 should be fine, they are OK to ~50c ambient.  Though when it gets to the max the case will be too hot to touch.
Designer and maker of charge4.harkwood.co.uk, smart universal USB chargers designed for aviation.  USB Type-A and USB-C power without the RF interference. Approved for EASA installs under CS-STAN too.