Author Topic: Practical experience using Mode S/3D version  (Read 2931 times)

neilmurg

Practical experience using Mode S/3D version
« on: June 24, 2019, 09:32:23 am »
I've just started using ModeS/3D and thought it worth sharing how it's going.
My PAw is a semi-permanent install with mounted internal antennae, internal power and sound connected to the Audio panel.
I have alerting set for +/- 2,000ft and 5km
I haven't implemented Bluetooth - yet

- I hear 2 - 3 times as much located traffic as before which makes it easier to discriminate between 'information' and targets that really need locating [edit]this is a big deal and a huge increase in capability
- within a mile of the circuit I tend to switch off the sound to avoid distraction (it's a button on the panel) only when it's v busy
- I see more aircraft now, farther out
- the PAw gives better information for SA than a listening squawk or Basic Service (I still like to have a relevant frequency set for the airspace I'm in)
- I prefer PAw voice to the SD generated warnings (too much SD airspace)
- PAw can sometimes generate multiple warnings for the same target - I'd like that reduced
- looking at .trk files there was occasional position jumping, ~1/2 a mile, it was no factor
- because of by aerial positioning there is occasional airframe masking at 5 o'clock and 7 o'clock, also no factor

I used it yesterday on the 95 ship Project Propeller fly-in to Coventry. that's a big help approaching a busy environment when traffic is merging
- it was very handy to have it pick up converging, almost parallel traffic on the way in
- I switched off sound with 3 miles to run when I judged that my SA was optimised and I should deal with outside and the radio
- on departure we could track traffic passing overhead which due to visibility we never saw, but it was comforting to know where it was and we did deviate track to provide better separation
- approaching home base we tracked a Nordo at 500'agl (or 400'), 1 mile ahead, similar track, who looked like he was joining but flew round the edge of the ATZ and left. We never saw him, I was glad to know he was there.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2019, 09:56:08 pm by neilmurg »

Admin

Re: Practical experience using Mode S/3D version
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2019, 09:56:10 am »
Hi Neil

I wonder if you should post your experiences (good and bad) on the thread started on the flyer forum regarding the Mode-S/3D release
as it is can be a little toxic, I think I will leave you to make the decision - thick skin being a definite pre-requisite I think!

Thx
Lee

neilmurg

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2019, 09:26:35 pm »
The purpose of the OP was, hopefully, an open space where people could honestly share experiences and we could all learn from different viewpoints.
Those experiences might be good, bad, indifferent, different scenarios, missions or environments etc but everyone can take what they wanted from it.

AlanG

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2019, 09:04:53 pm »
Ah Lee

you really threw Neil into the lions den there didn't you.  Poor guy deserves a medal the size of a dustbin lid.

For my twopenneth I think a change of name from "PilotAware" to "Aircraft Detection System reBroadcast" is called for, then everybody can have ADS-B and maybe then they will STFU be happy

Alan

neilmurg

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2019, 09:33:37 pm »
It was my decision and I'm happy with it.
It is teasing out some useful info for me, and the negative feedback still has useful information in it, along with the 'who can pee highest' competition.
Meanwhile, how best to make use of the increased visibility of aircraft is a nice problem to have. I fly from Blackbushe usually and I think there is more stuff visible coming from/to the Farnborough overhead that used to be bearingless. I suppose if I analyse the track logs I could get a more definitive idea of the increase rather than my 2 - 3 times WAG (wild arsed guess). My data set is quite small at the moment though and I don't want to draw conclusions.

I also bear in mind that Airprox's are not the biggest risk in GA flying, and are infrequent; spotting them is the big prize, along with the increased Situational Awareness.

neilmurg

« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2019, 09:37:28 pm »
I posted these screenshots from aircrew.co.uk analysis of .trk files elsewhere. I thought I'd show them here too.
It shows that approaching my home field I get a good view of (I think) most if not all of the local traffic with 3D, which is a leap forward in early SA. Of course I'm trained to identify all in the circuit anyway, I don't depend on the PAw info and I don't screen watch, I listen to the audio.

Watching the .trk file play out dynamically on aircrew is very informative about system performance. I'd like to be able to analyse the .trk file to list what aircraft have been seen and via which protocol, but that's going to need a block of time studying the file and the protocol.

Some aircraft don't show their registration in aircrew and I'm not sure the expressed protocols are always right, so that's something else to work on.