Author Topic: Installing 20190621 - SDFormat and Software upgrade  (Read 78188 times)

exfirepro

Re: Installing 20190621 - SDFormat and Software upgrade
« Reply #60 on: July 20, 2019, 12:21:42 pm »
Hi David,

IIRC, Traffic Dynon was changed to ‘FLARM Out’ some time back. Should give the same data (plus some extra if I’m not mistaken). Give it a try.

Regards

Peter

drvale

• Now 50 hrs with PAW from Scotland to Senegal
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 20, 2019, 05:02:49 pm »
Pete, Thanks, that is what I guessed, will see what the MGL iEFIS thinks of it.
David Vale, G-OCAD

PaulSS

« Reply #62 on: July 21, 2019, 12:15:31 am »
Please report back when you do, Dave. It could save a certain person some hassle if it can or can't be done any more  ;)

buzz53

« Reply #63 on: July 21, 2019, 11:23:36 pm »
Nowhere could I find a minimum size specified for the SD card for this upgrade. The talk here is all of 8GB or more but I seem to have upgraded my old Classic 4GB successfully. Will this be OK?
TIA, Alan

Admin

« Reply #64 on: July 22, 2019, 07:26:29 am »
4gb is fine for this release, but may not be enough for future updates, hence the 8gb recommendation

Thx
Lee

exfirepro

« Reply #65 on: July 22, 2019, 07:42:16 am »
Hi Alan,

I just came across that issue myself a couple of days ago when updating an old ‘Classic’ for a friend. His original card was one of the early 4Gb ones, so I decided to ‘upgrade’ it to a new 8Gb card, which PAW now uses as its standard card size, as a matter of course, but as you say the software does fit and run on a 4Gb card so you shouldn’t have a problem.

The ‘extra’ space is used primarily for storing track files and logging, so all this means is yours will fill up quicker and (presumably) start overwriting older track logs if it does. (Is this correct Lee ?)

The big problem I find these days is trying to buy small cards. Most local supermarkets stock 16Gb or sometimes 32Gb as a minimum (not that I’d normally buy from there) and even ‘on line’ you can now buy 16Gb cheaper than 8Gb ones. It certainly brings new meaning to the expression ‘Cheap as Chips’ -  :-\  :-[ sorry for that last bit !

Regards

Peter

Edit: Cross-posted with Lee above. Good to have confirmation though.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2019, 08:41:54 am by exfirepro »

Admin

« Reply #66 on: July 22, 2019, 08:26:30 am »
The ‘extra’ space is used primarily for storing track files and logging, so all this means is yours will fill up quicker and (presumably) start overwriting older track logs I fit does. (Is this correct Lee ?)

Correct, the logs will rotate
Thx
Lee

Grumpy

« Reply #67 on: July 23, 2019, 09:47:32 am »
Good morning,

I am having issues with upgrading the SD card in the first place.
The card coming with Rosetta works great.
Now I'd like to upgrade and followed the installation instructions.
However when I unpack the pilotaware.zip the content is two
folders named PilotAware and PilotAware2
There is no root.

The installation instructions states:
Once the download is complete, unzip the file and click down to the Root files. There should be 25 items in the root file.

Sorry, no root. What do I do now? ;-)

thx

Grumpy

« Reply #68 on: July 24, 2019, 07:12:12 pm »
isn't there anybody with an idea how to continue?

I'm stuck with the upgrade for more than a week now :-(

Mig29fuk

• G-MYUP. White Ox Mead Airstrip. Near Bath
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 24, 2019, 07:30:42 pm »
Instead of living up to your name Grumpy why dont you describe what kit you are using and how you are trying do the upgrade!
If you live in the WestCountry. I'm more than happy to help.
The upgrade works really well so it will be something small.
Regards
Gerry
G-MYUP
White Ox Mead Airstrip
Bath. England

Ian Melville

« Reply #70 on: July 24, 2019, 07:37:58 pm »
Hi Grumps, I saw your message at work and this is the first chance I have had to reply.

I would suggest you download the zip file again. I have just done so and it contains the correct files and folders.

On your PC
Once extracted select all the files and folders, then copy them to the newly formatted and blank SD card.

Remove card and place in the Pi

Since there are no folders of the names you quoted in your OP, only Lee would know what you managed to collect. Obviously a glitch of some sort.

Cheers
Ian

Admin

« Reply #71 on: July 24, 2019, 08:06:55 pm »
Are you on a PC or MAC ?

I think the difference is whether you open or extract the archive
if you open, you see the contents
if you extract, it creates a folder (PilotAware) containing the contents

if you open more than once, you OS may create a second folder eg PilotAware-2

Thx
Lee

exfirepro

« Reply #72 on: July 24, 2019, 10:58:14 pm »
Hi Grumpy (et Al),

Sorry, I did see your post but was on the bus to pick my car up and didn't have time to reply.

FWIW, my understanding of what had happened was the same as Lee's. Looks like you had misunderstood the instructions and unpacked the zip file twice - which would create two copies of the content in folders named PilotAware and PilotAware 2.

The data you need should be inside each of those folders (i.e. you will have 2 complete copies). The data comprises three folders named 'defaults', 'os' and 'overlays', plus another 22 separate items. You simply need to copy one full set (25 items in total) to the Root * (i.e. base level) of your formatted microSD card.

*Root is computer speak for 'At the base level - i.e.NOT inside a folder'

Once this is done, safely eject the card from your laptop or PC. Put it into your PAW and power-up, then leave well alone for at least 20 minutes to allow the device to re-partition the card, unpack and load the software and run through the startup procedure. After about 20 minutes, you should see the PilotAware WiFi Hotspot appear again on your tablet. At this point you can log on and go to the PAW Home screen via 192.168.1.1, move to the Configure Screen and re-enter your licence key and other details.

Please let us know how you get on.

Best Regards

Peter

Ian Melville

« Reply #73 on: July 25, 2019, 06:38:13 am »
I must confess I don't like there term 'Root' when speaking to non-computer people. Means the square root of bugger all  ???

Admin

« Reply #74 on: July 25, 2019, 07:21:36 am »
Root, the experts terminology  :)
https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentation/installation/noobs.md

Copy the extracted files onto the SD card that you just formatted, so that this file is at the root directory of the SD card. Please note that in some cases it may extract the files into a folder; if this is the case, then please copy across the files from inside the folder rather than the folder itself.