Author Topic: Installing 20190621 - SDFormat and Software upgrade  (Read 76714 times)

Richard

Re: SD Software upgrade
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2019, 08:02:08 pm »
Hrrrr.  Another option if you can find a copy is to use v4
« Last Edit: June 23, 2019, 09:16:15 pm by Richard »
Richard.
Europa XS

Keithvinning

« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2019, 09:33:28 pm »
Yup - gave up on a USB update, as I just couldnt get it to recognise a USB. Copied the new system onto a MicroSd that I'd used before in an old PAW - 10 minutes and once i'd entered the licence key, its all up and running....

Hi Harry

There is no USB (.pgp file) update for this release as we need to update both the Operating System and the Kernel which is not possible by .pgp file, so a manual update is required. Once you have installed 20190621 then FUTURE updates including the Operating system and Kernel will be achieved over the router as described in the new operating instructions for release 20190621.

Keith

HarryS

« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2019, 10:25:27 pm »
Yup - gave up on a USB update, as I just couldnt get it to recognise a USB. Copied the new system onto a MicroSd that I'd used before in an old PAW - 10 minutes and once i'd entered the licence key, its all up and running....

Hi Harry

There is no USB (.pgp file) update for this release as we need to update both the Operating System and the Kernel which is not possible by .pgp file, so a manual update is required. Once you have installed 20190621 then FUTURE updates including the Operating system and Kernel will be achieved over the router as described in the new operating instructions for release 20190621.

Keith

Thanks Keith.  The Sd card route works well for aircraft where it will be tricky to get the unit back to connect to a router, so happy we can still do it manually in any event!

RobertPBham

« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2019, 11:16:40 pm »
Uptimist
      You need to select "CHS format size adjustment" on version 5.0.1 you tick the box to select it. Let us know how you get on

OK the option was greyed out, so I looked at the documentation for the format app, it says "Note: this option is enabled only when the user capacity of the card is less than or equal to
8032.5MB"

And your instructions ask me to use "at least" an 8gb card - so I guess that means it must be exactly an 8gb card, no more no less!

All the cards I have are 16gb or more, so unless I overwrite the existing older version PAW card I have, I need to get hold of a new 8gb card...I'm slightly nervous about zapping the only working version I have.

Hi,

Have a look at this thread and see if it helps - I had issues with SD formatter but found a tool that worked fine for me last time I did a full update! Haven’t had chance to do the process again with the new version.

http://forum.pilotaware.com/index.php/topic,1345.msg15406.html#msg15406

Thanks
Rob

Ian Melville

« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2019, 11:18:51 pm »
Uptimist,
No one has answered the USB port issue to connect a keyboard.

The opposite end of the PAW to the antennas, is a removable cover. Behind
 that is the GPS, the SDR, and a spare USB.

On early Rosetta’s the label covered the join, and you will need to run a sharp knife along the label only.

Cheers
Ian

Vic

« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2019, 07:02:38 am »
Succesfully installed here (32GB SDCARD)

Make sure you copy ALL the files and folders from within the .ZIP file onto the root of the SDCARD.

Put the card in the PAW, power it up. No need to connect a monitor or KB, if all is ok, the Pilotaware WiFI hotspot should appear within around 15 minutes.

Richard

« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2019, 07:55:06 am »
Uptimist,
No one has answered the USB port issue to connect a keyboard

Just plug the USB key board into one of the usbs on the PAW. You can unplug the dongles if you don’t have a spare usb.

Plug a monitor into the HDMI on the side. You can just use your HDMI tv for this. But you only have to do this if your having problems so we can advise you where your having problems.
Richard.
Europa XS

GrahamW

« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2019, 11:07:11 am »
Thanks. Problem resolved. I reformatted the SD card and started again. Also plugged in HDMI screen to Rasberry Pi so I was able to see that the install completed correctly. BTW Im using a 16GB SD card.

Uptimist

« Reply #23 on: June 24, 2019, 11:07:31 am »
Uptimist,
No one has answered the USB port issue to connect a keyboard.

The opposite end of the PAW to the antennas, is a removable cover. Behind
 that is the GPS, the SDR, and a spare USB.

On early Rosetta’s the label covered the join, and you will need to run a sharp knife along the label only.

Cheers
Ian

Thanks Ian, noted.

Uptimist

« Reply #24 on: June 24, 2019, 11:11:28 am »
Uptimist
      You need to select "CHS format size adjustment" on version 5.0.1 you tick the box to select it. Let us know how you get on

OK the option was greyed out, so I looked at the documentation for the format app, it says "Note: this option is enabled only when the user capacity of the card is less than or equal to
8032.5MB"

And your instructions ask me to use "at least" an 8gb card - so I guess that means it must be exactly an 8gb card, no more no less!

All the cards I have are 16gb or more, so unless I overwrite the existing older version PAW card I have, I need to get hold of a new 8gb card...I'm slightly nervous about zapping the only working version I have.

Hi,

Have a look at this thread and see if it helps - I had issues with SD formatter but found a tool that worked fine for me last time I did a full update! Haven’t had chance to do the process again with the new version.

Thanks
Rob

Thanks for the suggestion. I decided just to risk overwriting the old SD card, and this time it all worked fine.

The takeaway is:  with this formatter and update
- use an 8gb card, nothing bigger or smaller
- make sure you have the CHS format size adjustment box ticked

jonathanharbottle

Re: SD Software upgrade - where is the SD card slot?!
« Reply #25 on: June 24, 2019, 11:27:27 am »

I am being thick probably but the new software instructions talk about an SD card - but I cannot see where one is on my Rosetta - I bought it at White Waltham a few weekends ago after an excellent and compelling presentation - how do I upgrade the software on that box of tricks?

brinzlee

« Reply #26 on: June 24, 2019, 12:14:54 pm »
Its located on the Raspberry Pi board opposite end to the usb and ethernet plugs....The slot where the aerials poke out....
« Last Edit: June 24, 2019, 12:16:34 pm by brinzlee »

exfirepro

« Reply #27 on: June 24, 2019, 12:35:52 pm »
Hi Jonathon,

The instructions should say ‘microSD’ card - it’s in a slot on the lower section of the case between the two antenna connectors, with a finger access cutout. In the Rosetta, you just need to catch hold of the end of the card with a fingernail (it has a lip to facilitate this) and gently pull it out. Watch which way up it is as you take it out as it only goes in the one way.

With the older ‘Classics’ - running on a Raspberry Pi2B, there is a spring loaded latch holding the card in the slot. With this type, press the card in gently to release the latch, then gently pull the card out - again taking careful not of which way up it is (upside down). To replace this version, gently slide the card into the slot - taking care to ensure the card is correctly in the slot - with the ‘Classic type case’ it is possible to ‘miss’ the slot and push the card into the case, which necessitates opening up the case to get it back out - and press fully home to latch the card back in.

Uptimist

Hi,

Thanks
Rob

If you are using Windows 10, an alternative to the above which works on bigger cards is to format the card using SDFormatter set to ‘full overwrite’ and then run the standard Windows 10 formatter set to Quick Format and FAT32, which sets the right file size for PAW.

Hope this helps

Regards

Peter

Keithvinning

Re: SD Software upgrade - where is the SD card slot?!
« Reply #28 on: June 24, 2019, 12:55:59 pm »

I am being thick probably but the new software instructions talk about an SD card - but I cannot see where one is on my Rosetta - I bought it at White Waltham a few weekends ago after an excellent and compelling presentation - how do I upgrade the software on that box of tricks?

The latest software needs a manual Software Update because it has a new Operating System and Kernel. How to perform a manual Software update is described in the new PilotAware Knowledge Base.

https://pilotaware.com/knowledge-base/manual-software-update/

Don't forget to record and save your Software license key and configuration as this needs to be reentered after a manual software update.

Next week a service to provide a new SD card with the software pre-loaded will be available.

GEAR

« Reply #29 on: June 24, 2019, 09:43:36 pm »
I formatted my 16GB card with the sdformat tool. After formatting the card I checked the card properties. Card was reported to be FAT32 so no need to do quick format with the native windows 10 for matter. Copied the files on to the formatted card, put the card in the PilotAware and let it boot up. Took about 20 mins for pilotaware wifi address to appear. Then using 192.168.1.1 I set up the required configuration. Very happy with updating process.