Author Topic: Installing 20190621 - SDFormat and Software upgrade  (Read 76729 times)

Uptimist

Installing 20190621 - SDFormat and Software upgrade
« on: June 23, 2019, 11:55:22 am »
I'm trying to upgrade to the new version just out - some basic questions as I have not done this before.

The instructions on the website describe formatting and load the SD with files, then insert and power up PAW, and just wait for 10-15 minutes, presumably the software self updates from the card?

The README file with the software describes needing to connect a display and keyboard and select the installation to kick off the upgrade.

Which is it?

Also, if it's the keyboard route, how do you attach a keyboard?  I can't see any USB socket on my Rosetta.  The only sockets are microUSB for power, and HDMI for display.

Lastly, assuming I get through the upgrade, do I need to leave that specific SD in, or can I revert to a different e.g. smaller capacity one? I borrowed an nice high capacity card from my GoPro and would like to switch back to the 8gb card which came with the PAW originally...!

Thanks for any help.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2019, 08:44:54 am by Admin »

Giver

Re: SD Software upgrade
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2019, 01:08:28 pm »
The last question is easy to answer, you have to leave the SD card in permanently, it’s basically the
Rosetta operating system and pilot aware files all in one,
I haven’t yet updated mine, the previous update worked fine with a clean and full formatted card,
Downloaded the complete update file and drag/drop into the clean SD card,
Put new card into the Rosetta and power up, after about four minutes it’s good to log into from your
Tablet to reset all your settings,

GrahamW

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2019, 04:19:52 pm »
I have the original PAW not Rosetta. Ive just tried to upgrade to version 20190621. The extract seemed to work but ive just tried to connect to PAW using 192.168.1.1 but it failed. SD cant see it either. Im not sure whats gone wrong but just thought. Do I have to upgrade to Rosetta to use this version?

Admin

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2019, 04:26:10 pm »
This release is compatible with Classic and Rosetta
Please attach a tv/monitor via hdmi to see any diagnostics

grahambaker

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2019, 04:37:44 pm »
I have the original PAW not Rosetta. Ive just tried to upgrade to version 20190621. The extract seemed to work but ive just tried to connect to PAW using 192.168.1.1 but it failed. SD cant see it either. Im not sure whats gone wrong but just thought. Do I have to upgrade to Rosetta to use this version?
Have you tried entering http://192.168.1.1? The browser may require the full address, and not just the naked ip string.

Admin

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2019, 04:40:14 pm »
Is the wifi hotspot available?

Uptimist

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2019, 05:12:46 pm »
So has anyone done an update to new version successfully yet?

When I power up with new card in, there is just one red light and nothing comes alive even after a long wait (15 mins) - hdmi display is blank.  If I put the old card back it’s fine and display shows bootup and login prompt so I know that’s working.

Admin

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2019, 05:14:51 pm »
hdmi display is blank
really ?
you do not get a rainbow splash screen or anything ?

How did you format the SD card ?
Thx
Lee
« Last Edit: June 23, 2019, 06:04:15 pm by Admin »

grahambaker

« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2019, 05:53:31 pm »
Yep - screenshotted the config and profile pages of the current version, replaced the MicroSD with one containing the new version and left it for 20 minutes. When I went back it was all done, and it took a couple more to enter the details from the screen shots.

It nicely coincided with an uplink ground station being installed over the last few days, so it’s been easy to test and play with.

What I have learnt is how many people fly around with poorly configured PAW units!

HarryS

« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2019, 06:46:09 pm »
Yup - gave up on a USB update, as I just couldnt get it to recognise a USB. Copied the new system onto a MicroSd that I'd used before in an old PAW - 10 minutes and once i'd entered the licence key, its all up and running....

Richard

« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2019, 06:52:02 pm »

Yes, full SD format successful. Successfully extracted PAW to newly Formatted SD. Insert new SD card with New PAW files into PAW (Rasburry Pi)

I have had quite a lot of practice over the last two years so no problems at all. The instructions suggests SDformater v4. But there is a new version it is 5.0.1 and I can confirm that bothe version work successfully.

Also managed to fly with the 3D/ModeS version....... Well done team...... outstanding work....... you have a very happy Pilot here.
Richard.
Europa XS

Uptimist

« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2019, 07:04:46 pm »
hdmi display is blank
really ?
you do not get a rainbow splash screen or anything ?

Thx
Lee

Correct, I'm not getting anything on the HDMI monitor at all.  And I can't try selecting monitor type with a keyboard because I can't figure out how to connect a keyboard!

Glad to see others are successfully installing, so it must be something I'm doing wrong.  Maybe I should try formatting the drive a second time and copying the files across again, and trying it again?

Uptimist

« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2019, 07:08:50 pm »
hdmi display is blank

Thx
Lee

Sorry, forgot to answer that question - I used SD Card Formatter 5.0.1.  I selected "Overwrite" option.  I couldn't select the "CHS format size adjustment" option as it was greyed out.

Richard

« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2019, 07:45:13 pm »
Uptimist
      You need to select "CHS format size adjustment" on version 5.0.1 you tick the box to select it. Let us know how you get on
Richard.
Europa XS

Uptimist

« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2019, 07:57:26 pm »
Uptimist
      You need to select "CHS format size adjustment" on version 5.0.1 you tick the box to select it. Let us know how you get on

OK the option was greyed out, so I looked at the documentation for the format app, it says "Note: this option is enabled only when the user capacity of the card is less than or equal to
8032.5MB"

And your instructions ask me to use "at least" an 8gb card - so I guess that means it must be exactly an 8gb card, no more no less!

All the cards I have are 16gb or more, so unless I overwrite the existing older version PAW card I have, I need to get hold of a new 8gb card...I'm slightly nervous about zapping the only working version I have.