Author Topic: Save and restore current configuration and profiles between full software update  (Read 4674 times)

Wadoadi

Hi,
    I'm sure I read somewhere a way of copying off the config and (or) the multiple profiles before a full system update!

I have tried SSH but needless to say, the default PI user name and PW doesn't let you in :)
FTP lets you access the tracks and PilotAware.Current file but this just has the software version in it...

Is there a way to back up the config and profile? as I will have many PaWs to update as most at my club come to me for this!

thanks

Adi

Admin

With version 20180520
the only method is to mount the disk in a suitable computer to access the file system

from the new release 20190621, you can perform a full install, and it will cache all setup files, and restore afterwards.
So good going forward, but we can't go back and change old software Im afraid

thx
Lee

Wadoadi

Thanks Lee, I'm currently on beta 20190218 does that help?

Wadoadi

Cannot provide an automated solution, but ig you can read the disk

/root/cache
/root/servers/PilotAware.cfg

Thx
Lee

Just found what I Remembered reading!

Admin

Thanks Lee, I'm currently on beta 20190218 does that help?

yes, but looks like you found it ;-)

Boxkite

With version 20180520
the only method is to mount the disk in a suitable computer to access the file system
thx
Lee
Er..and then what? are the details somewhere else on the site?
The official update guide just says "Record all of the configuration settings and profiles currently on the PilotAware unit."

Wadoadi

You can copy the files and open them in a text editor, saves writing it all down, you then can copy and paste the information back line by line!

There was no way I could find to copy the complete file back due to the user privileges...

/root/servers/PilotAware.cfg

Keithvinning

This can be cone manually
If future it will be automatic

Cheers

Keith

Boxkite

With version 20180520

from the new release 20190621, you can perform a full install, and it will cache all setup files, and restore afterwards.
So good going forward, but we can't go back and change old software Im afraid

thx
Lee
Ok, so I've put the SD card into a PC and cannot see the files mentioned above. Ready for the next clue.

Admin

I presume you are using windows ?
In order to see the full disk content you need either a Linux or MAC computer

Probably easier to make a note of settings and re enter
Thx
Lee

Boxkite

With version 20180520
thx
Lee
It's a pretty good guess that I use a windows computer, as around 85% do.
So the information above is only good for the 2% of PC users that use Linux or the 13% who use OSx.
Would it have taken much more time to have written Linux or Mac in the sentence above instead of 'suitable'?
Why not have a 'Fixed/Sticky' thread to just list the steps and files all in one place (and then lock it), or would that mean admitting that's it not a simple process?
I know of one guy that bought the original unit and later a Rosetta who sold both units on almost immediately as he just wanted it to work out of the box. This is a clever guy, has an IR, loves technology, but has a limited time to deal with such things. The reason he didn't sell on the Rosetta absolutely immediately is that I helped him sort out an initial issue.

Admin

With version 20180520
thx
Lee
It's a pretty good guess that I use a windows computer, as around 85% do.
So the information above is only good for the 2% of PC users that use Linux or the 13% who use OSx.
Would it have taken much more time to have written Linux or Mac in the sentence above instead of 'suitable'?

https://www.diskinternals.com/linux-reader/
Would be able to read the disks, I am sure there are other similar utilities

Thx
Lee
« Last Edit: November 09, 2019, 05:25:36 pm by Admin »