Author Topic: Rosetta Module - Intermittent Traffic  (Read 3662 times)

Shortwing

Rosetta Module - Intermittent Traffic
« on: July 15, 2019, 10:04:50 pm »
Hi all,

My first outing with the new rosetta module and software update yesterday - and I didn't feel as confident in its use so thought i'd ask what peoples experiences have been and also what could be making such a difference?

For background, the unit is mounted in exactly the same place and the settings are exactly the same with the addition of the 3D element.

What I found was traffic was extremely intermittent, compared to my old unit which showed items rock solid.  I've reviewed the track on aircrew.co.uk and you can see the traffic being very intermittent.

For example one aircraft which shows as Mode A/S/C and PAW equipped under 3 miles kept dropping off, yet on FR24 shows solid visibility against my track.  This made me very concerned because it drew my attention to the appearance and alerts then disappearing.   

Equally on the return leg I had another aircraft under 2nm appear and disappear.  This one on aircrew.co.uk shows Mode A/S/C and ADSB.

I have the tracks and i'm happy to send them or anything else you guys need, but I think in the short term i'm going to use my old unit and old software version.

At no point did the connection to the iPad drop, and this is powered from a USB socket.

Do you have any thoughts on what this could be?

I hope you don't take this as an attack, I just felt confident with my old unit, but this just seemed so intermittent that I'd rather not use it at the moment.

Admin

Re: Rosetta Module - Intermittent Traffic
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2019, 10:20:08 pm »
Hi Shortwing,

sounds strange

Is this a new Rosetta, or an upgrade
if an upgrade done by us, or by yourself ?

Are you able to run our old classic side by side with the rosetta on the ground for a comparison ?
you can just look at the traffic tables from two devices

thx
Lee

Shortwing

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2019, 06:40:03 am »
Hi Lee,

Upgrade done by myself, same as my classic unit. I may try and run them. Side by side next time I fly.

I was just surprised so I replayed the tracks to see what was happening. Compared to my old unit tracks the traffic seemed less solid.

As my setup is the same power and location, I was stumped for what it could be.

I’ll email the tracks this evening and the registrations of the aircraft that were ADSB ant PAw equipped which seemed to appear and disappear.

Moffrestorer

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2019, 02:25:37 pm »
Tried out ModeS 3D for the first time, last week. Headed from Shobdon towards Gloucestershire but was a fairly quiet traffic day and only saw one Mode S return as I was headed back to Shobdon. It was one of the Aero Club Cessnas and the return was intermittent. I suspect this was because it was descending for an overhead join and into the circuit. Such Radar360 ground stations that exist in this area were probably losing reception/ gaining reception of it intermittently due to aircraft height, the topography and location maybe due to sparse MLAT coverage. May have to add 1090 reception to both the PWShobdon and PWKingstone PAW ground stations to feed more data to Radar360!

Shortwing

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2019, 05:00:35 pm »
The contacts that worried me were ADSB and PaW so I don’t think MLAT was in play, I don’t think the local stations are that great near me so the MLAT function isn’t too much concern for me right now

russp

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2019, 11:26:23 pm »
I’m seeing the same thing on my classic with the new software. Very weirdly the traffic on my skyview was solid and the traffic on easyvfr was very intermittent. I’m suspecting gps issues in my PA.

Admin

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2019, 09:28:58 am »
@russp @shortwing
can you please send me a copy of your tracks, and a time at which you think this issue occurs
you can check this time by looking at the flight in http://aircrew.co.uk/playback
Thx
Lee