Author Topic: Anker powercore 20100 problem?  (Read 7016 times)

SimonM

Anker powercore 20100 problem?
« on: June 07, 2019, 04:17:59 pm »
I've just purchased an Anker powercore 20100 and fully charged it. When I plug it in and boot the PAW it gets to the stage whereby the wifi is detectable and connectable but then shuts down.

Has anyone else experienced this problem?

For clarity, the PAW powers up fine with my Poweradd battery pack so it's not a PAW problem.

Mods, if this is in the wrong forum please feel free to move it.

Admin

Re: Anker powercore 20100 problem?
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2019, 06:28:18 pm »
Hi Simon,
we have worryingly heard a few reports about this powerpack just recently - we think they have changed the design
can you try the supplied cable, users have reported success using that
I have a suspicion they have put some sensing login in the cable

please report your findings back to us
Thx
Lee

SimonM

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2019, 07:16:13 pm »
Hi Lee,
Thanks for the tip and worryingly it seems to have resolved the issue. I say worryingly as it means that I am tied to using a short lead that should it get damaged, will render the battery pack unusable for the RPi.
Simon

Keithvinning

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2019, 07:27:58 pm »
Hi Simon

One workaround is to add another load on the second port. This shows that it is the Anker being too smart and allows you to use the longer lead.

Keith

SimonM

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2019, 07:31:36 pm »
Thanks Keith, I'll give it a try and get back to you.

Simon

SimonM

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2019, 07:57:33 pm »
Hi Simon

One workaround is to add another load on the second port. This shows that it is the Anker being too smart and allows you to use the longer lead.

Keith

Yes this works too, although not really an ideal work around having additional load on the battery reducing run time.
I have sent an initial message to Anker support and will report my findings to them once a reply has been received.

jamespratt

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2019, 12:28:24 am »
Hi,

I have the same problem - a recently purchased anker 20100 which swtitches off after about 20 seconds. It doesnt work with either the supplied Anker USB cable or the 20Wg cable I have been using up to now. When a 2nd load is plugged in (eg charging my ipad) it stays on, so looks like a load sensing issue.

Is there any point in keeping the 20100 or should I send it back (if I can)?

It would be worth ammending the power supply info as soon as poss to stop other people buying a power supply that won't work.

Any problems with other Anker power packs?

Paul_Sengupta

« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2019, 02:24:42 pm »
If it works properly with both the Pi and tablet plugged in, happy days! A charge normally lasts about 18 hours anyway for just the PAW, so plugging in one's phone or tablet should still get you a fairly good "range".

Keithvinning

« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2019, 02:50:38 pm »
When we first recommended the ANKER 20100 it was perfect as were all ANKER products. However, we heard about this a couple of weeks ago. It seems to be that the 20100 is getting too clever and assumes that the device is fully charged because it isn't drawing enough current.

I immediately bought another 20100 (1 have 3) from Amazon but it didn't show the problem. I have lots of other smaller ANKER units including the smaller snickers bar sized one which works great. The problem is that we have no control over ANKER products.

Anyone listening in please let us know which ones work for you ANKER or otherwise. I will remove the 20100 from the recommended list

Keith
« Last Edit: June 12, 2019, 04:25:30 pm by Keithvinning »

Ian Melville

« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2019, 03:22:00 pm »
Is there an identifying model number on these units. If so then we can specify that to buy or to avoid?

I am assuming the product name is PowerCore 20100, not 21000? Not sure if it is good or bad but A1271 is one of the models.

Keithvinning

« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2019, 04:35:13 pm »
My Original 20100 units are model no A1271 and the latest one bought last week from Amazon is also an A1271 so no clue there

Regards

Keith

SimonM

« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2019, 05:12:19 pm »
I'm still in communication with Anker Re. the 20100...here's the latest response....
Nice to hear from you again.

Please note the minimum current requirement (the lowest amount of power that a device needs to draw from the battery to make it not shut off) of this battery is about 50mA. If your device (like ipod classic) draws a power lower than 50mA, this battery will shut off.

As far as I know, we haven't changed this current requirement. Please let us know the exact model of your Raspberry Pi and inform us the current and voltage of the mainboard.

We also have batteries which could charge small current devices like PowerCore 10000 Redux as below:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07DDF8CNK

Please hold down the button until the last LED indicator turns green to enter trickle charging mode to charge small current devices.

Isn't the current required about 2.1amps for the RPi at 5V?
« Last Edit: June 12, 2019, 05:15:29 pm by SimonM »

JCurtis

« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2019, 05:59:21 pm »
A Pi won't draw less than a 100ma but it will vary quite a bit during power up.  In any case detection at 50ma is quite high.  It also seems to be a combined minimum over all the ports on the Anker, as plugging in something into another port will wake them all, is that right?

My chargers/supplies have a threshold of 200uA (0.2ma) to wake any given port, likewise a short or fault on one port will not impact any other port.  I wonder if they actually mean 50uA but got the units mixed up?

I wonder what they have changed internally?

Out of interest, this is a snippet I took ages ago of a PAW unit, the power consumption is not at all smooth at all - there are loads of transients.  The peak now will be higher than this shows, but I haven't done a new one as I don't have Rosetta available.  My meter will do 50k samples a second, and is calibrated.

Designer and maker of charge4.harkwood.co.uk, smart universal USB chargers designed for aviation.  USB Type-A and USB-C power without the RF interference. Approved for EASA installs under CS-STAN too.

Keithvinning

« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2019, 08:15:22 pm »

It also seems to be a combined minimum over all the ports on the Anker, as plugging in something into another port will wake them all, is that right?

Hi J

Yes that is correct one user has used an EBAY sourced MOOD LED to give a quiescent load which seemed to work

Thanks for your help on this

K

SimonM

« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2019, 10:20:58 pm »
Just a wondering.... what would be the effect If i changed the wifi setting from 50mW to 100mW? Would it increase range and heat as well as a slight increase in current?