Author Topic: Woudl like to test my Mode C altitude output using my Rossetta  (Read 2178 times)

Colmana

I wanted to check the accuracy of my Mode C Altitude output I have a KT76A which does not display the output.

Is it possible to use pilot aware to detect my own transponder mode C Alt ? 

Guess it may be tricky on the ground as it's unlikely to get an interrogation signal from a RADAR 

Ta

« Last Edit: June 06, 2019, 04:27:14 pm by Colmana »

exfirepro

Re: Woudl like to test my Mode C altitude output using my Rossetta
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2019, 05:49:55 pm »
Hi Colmana,

You would probably need to set it up then fly. Configure your PilotAware ‘Mode C/S Alert’ to Mode CS without the filter, and if it’s a Mode S transponder, also change the Hex ID in your PAW to the default (last 6 characters of the MAC address). That should stop it filtering your transponder and it should appear on your Nav screen once interrogated. Can’t guarantee the accuracy of the report though.

Let us know how you get on, and don’t forget to set it back to the correct Hex ID and Mode CS plus filter afterwards.

Regards

Peter

Colmana

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2019, 06:24:26 pm »
Its only mode A-C not mode S, so I am expecting a bearingless target with altitude.

I would have thought that PA would report accurately a received mode C Altitude?  based on the assumption that the encoder source is correct?  if it was not thats kind of what I am checking.

Appreciate it can only display what it sees.

Got me thinking though ...ATC makes a QNH calculation against the standard 1013mb ( or hecto thingies ) to work out Alt and that should correspond with a correctly set altimeter running on the same QNH within the tolerance.
How does PA calculate the relative height I guess it must use the internal BARO sensor ..how is that calibrated ...ummm

« Last Edit: June 06, 2019, 06:30:24 pm by Colmana »

Admin

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2019, 07:37:43 pm »
Internal baro is factory calibrated
Make sure you choose modecs not modecs+filter

Thx
Lee