Author Topic: Power Cable Query  (Read 3083 times)

ian_th

Power Cable Query
« on: May 24, 2019, 10:35:44 am »
I have 2 queries relating to  1) power cable and 2) GPS output, the 2nd of which will be in a separate thread.

We have had a Classic PAW "temporarily" fitted to a Cessna 152 since Jan 2018 using the supplied 1M 20 AWG power cable connected to an Anker 4.2A/24W USB car charger. This setup has been working without any problems. The only downside is that the power cable runs across the instrument panel.
Several members of the group have older systems that can only be powered from a car charger type socket hence only 1 of the devices can be used.

We are now going to install a Charge 4 USB panel mount unit into the radio stack and hardwired into the electrics.
No issues are foreseen with this new setup.

However, the distance between the Charge 4 and the PAW unit is now less that 0.25m. The existing 1m power cable is too long and the shortest 20 AWG cable that I can find is 0.5m.
Does anyone know where I can purchase a 20 AWG cable between 0.20m and 0.25m in length?

Thanks
Ian

Admin

Re: Power Cable Query
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2019, 10:46:59 am »
Hi Ian,

The cables we use are from Juicebitz https://www.juicebitz.co.uk
They sell high performance cables.

Please ensure you choose a cable with 20AWG for Power (Data is irrelevant in this case)

I am sure you can find a suitable length

Thx
Lee

Ian Melville

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2019, 01:37:23 pm »
That is about the length of mine. At work now but will look it up when I return home.

ian_th

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2019, 02:01:52 pm »
Hi Lee,

Thanks for the quick reply.

Unfortunately I did not make clear that juicebitz was the place that I checked and the shortest 20 AWG on their website is 0.5m hence the query.

I have subsequently phoned juicebitz and they confirmed that the shortest micro usb cable is 0.5m.

Will go with the 0.5m cable and look at reducing the length in the future.

Thanks
Ian

Ian Melville

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2019, 06:47:52 pm »
Right, The cable I am using is the Anker PowerLine+ Micro USB (1ft)
PowerLine+ Micro USB
The Premium Heavy-Duty Charging Cable

Unrivaled Durability
PowerLine+ may be the last cable you'll ever need. Proven to last at least 5 times as long as other cables, it boasts a bend tolerance 10 times higher. It is simply one of the most durable cables, ever.

End-to-End Strength
Exceptional tensile strength is provided by a aramid fiber core, double nylon-braiding and precision laser welding. PowerLine+ is built to withstand any yanking, twisting, stretching, or dropping that it might possibly be subjected to.

Customise Cable Length
Wind up PowerLine+ and bind it using the adjustable velcro strap for easy transport and storage. It also allows convenient cable length adjustment to avoid trailing cables across the floor when charging.

High-Speed Charging
Low quality charging cables can reduce charging speeds by over 40%. PowerLine+ is designed with a thick wire gauge which reduces resistance and ensures maximum charging speed.

SKU:A8141091

UPC:848061037203

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B019PZPYK6/ref=pe_3187911_185740111_TE_item

No wire gauge is quoted, but let us face it the length is so short that you can drop a wire gauge and still have less resistance than a 20AWG 1m cable. I have used mine for five months now without any issues, which cannot be said for my 1m cables from Juicebitz.

ian_th

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2019, 12:37:24 am »
Ian,
Thanks, I will order one of these cables.
Will keep the supplied cable in reserve.

I can appreciate Lee's concern about using a suitable size of cable, no different from domestic/industrial cabling.

Keithvinning

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2019, 07:45:14 pm »
https://www.juicebitz.co.uk/all-cables/usb/5-pack-micro-b

This is the shortest cable they do

10cm

Keith

ian_th

« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2019, 03:22:04 pm »
Keith,
Thanks.
I had seen the 10cm cables, unfortunately they are too short and there is no option to re-position either the USB or PAW devices, hence the 30cm cable as Ian Melville is using.

Regards
Ian

jollyrog

« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2019, 07:54:11 pm »
I soldered my cable via a SPST toggle which I just about managed to get in the case. No more wiggling loose during flight. Micro USB connectors are rubbish.

Rebooting the device is much easier (when required) and I can also leave it switched off until the engine is started, rather than fiddling to plug in a USB cable.

AlanG

« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2019, 02:50:03 pm »
@Lee

I had been intending to contact you regarding the issue of permanent or semi-permanent installs using the aircraft aux. power supply.  For quite some time now i have been using the Anker PowerDrive5 plugged into an auxiliary cigar lighter socket controlled through the A/C master switch.  This arrangement worked well until fairly recently, (not sure just when or what iteration of the software introduced it,) but I noticed that quite often i would go flying only to find i was not receiving anything from accompanying PAW aircraft.  Each time on landing i would find that the TX/RX on the Home Page was Red.  I would reboot and get all green lights but the same would happen on the return leg.
I eventually came to the conclusion that it was likely my engine startup procedure that caused this.  It always turn the engine over twice for about 5 seconds with throttle/choke closed & switches off, then set choke and switches on for startup.
I decided that this was causing the Rasp.Pi to go through several partial reboots due to voltage drop when the starter was cranking and was causing a glitch in the PAW radio bridge startup.  If i unplugged it after starting the engine and allowed ot to boot normally it was fine.  The answer was to fit a switch in the power line so that as with other avionics the PAW is not powered until engine is started.  I later noticed that our AFI was not showing up on the OGNR when expected and discovers his setup was much like mine and an inline switch also cured his problem.
It was not a problem in the early days but possibly as the software has developed with more processes to load at startup these power interruptions were having a detrimental effect.
It may be worth including something about this in any instructions re units being powered from the a/c auxiliary system.

I would add that my Anker PowerDrive is still through the a/c mains switch so no chance it gets left on. :D

Regards
Alan