Author Topic: Connecting PAW to Dynon D180  (Read 2337 times)

graemec

Connecting PAW to Dynon D180
« on: May 22, 2019, 06:13:23 pm »
I have just purchased a Rosetta to replace my classic. I want to connect the spare USB connection to my Dynon D180 to provide a GPS source. It says on the Dynon that it requires "To use the GPS-related features on your EFIS and/or EMS,your GPS must output either "aviation format" or thefollowing NMEA sentences in its serial stream: $GPRMC,$GPRMB, $GPGGA, and one of $GPBOD or$GPAPB. You must also have a supported cablethat exposes your GPS's serial transmit line." Will the PAW supply this and how should I configure the port for this. Will I need the same convertor cable that I use for my transponder or will a straight USB - DB9 cable be sufficient?

Paul_Sengupta

Re: Connecting PAW to Dynon D180
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2019, 06:00:48 am »
Will I need the same convertor cable that I use for my transponder or will a straight USB - DB9 cable be sufficient?

Same thing, just one has a DB9 connector on the end.

graemec

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2019, 11:00:38 am »
My transponder cable converts the signals to 12v I believe. (Funke) Do I need 12v signalling for the Dynon D180?

Admin

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2019, 02:55:50 pm »
must output either "aviation format" or thefollowing NMEA sentences in its serial stream: $GPRMC,$GPRMB, $GPGGA, and one of $GPBOD or$GPAPB.

PilotAware will not output GPBOD or GPAPB, these are not GPS position information messages, I think these are used for an autopilot ?

Thx
Lee