Author Topic: Rosetta & Skydemon Aural alerts  (Read 2472 times)

AndyM

Rosetta & Skydemon Aural alerts
« on: May 20, 2019, 10:01:20 am »
Hi - just ordered my PAW and looking forward to receiving and setting up. Just a quick question, from what I understand, the audio alerts from the PAW are from a 3.5mm stereo jack which you can plug into your radio interface? However, I also have my SD audio alerts plugged into the radio interface. Is there any way of connecting both, or is it just one or the other?
I also want to connect my Trigg transponder to get the full benefits but the configuration looks a bit daunting, but I'm sure I'll work it out!
Any advice gratefully received.

PaulSS

Re: Rosetta & Skydemon Aural alerts
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2019, 10:18:27 am »
It's a well known 'secret' that Bluetooth should be coming to PAW very soon. If you have a Bluetooth headset then that would be a very easy fix to the problem.

If you wanted to plug your PAW into the radio and have SD over Bluetooth then you could always stick a 3.5mm BT transmitter into the jack of your iPad (or similar) and get SD audio that way.

If you don't have a BT headset then a suggestion on another site is to have some in-ear BT 'buds' which would be able to receive the BT outputs from either of the above.

If you do want to combine both inputs into the radio/intercom then you'll need to have some sort of mixer. If you search the Forum for this you'll find I've already made a nuisance of myself and asked quite a few questions about it  ;)

Finally, if you search for Bluetooth on this Forum you'll find a suggestion for a cheap way of 'mixing' audio inputs and a BT receiver into a little 'star' sharing device for several sets of headsets to plug into.

Wiring up the TT21/22 has also been explained in some depth recently and sounds really quite simple, even to me  ;D

Seriously, the search function will reveal all you seek.

AndyM

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2019, 11:55:41 am »
Thank's Paul for your reply and yes, now I've done a bit of forum searching I see the question has been raised before! I have a Funke radio with an audio input so I could connect the PAW directly with a 3.5mm cable and I also have a Lightspeed headset with an audio input on the battery box so I could connect SD directly into that. I have found the Bluetooth function on the headset a bit unreliable and it eats the batteries, so the cabled connection is preferable. Be interested to see how the BT function works on the next update.
Thanks

PeterG

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2019, 02:43:46 pm »
I use the cable from Rosetta to my Lightspeed Zulus.

Much of the time it works OK and when taxying out works well. But once in the air the audio contacts are faded right out and they are almost inaudible. I've been trying all sorts of options but either the contacts are too loud or you don't hear them.

My guess is there is something in the headset configuration, but I'm not sure how best to sort it.

Giver

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2019, 04:20:31 pm »
I have a 3.5mm lead from the Rossetta to my Bose A20 headset with SkyDemon connected through Bluetooth to my iPad, works a treat,  volume is adjustable for both via their own preferences,

GeoffreyC

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2019, 09:50:16 pm »
Hi - just ordered my PAW and looking forward to receiving and setting up. Just a quick question, from what I understand, the audio alerts from the PAW are from a 3.5mm stereo jack which you can plug into your radio interface? However, I also have my SD audio alerts plugged into the radio interface. Is there any way of connecting both, or is it just one or the other?
I am not sure why you would want both PAW audio and SkyDemon audio alerts as you will end up getting duplicate traffic alerts from both devices for the same target.  I'd suggest you try one or the other and then decide which you prefer.

I've used PAW for its audio alerts since almost day 1,  you get both bearingless and bearing targets,  and in the later versions of the PAW software the alerts have been sped up a little which I prefer.

Recently with SkyDemon introducing audio alerts I thought I would give it a try, and after a couple of flights with SD doing the talking I am thinking of swapping back to PAW:

Good things about SD audio alerts:
- you get an announcement when you enter the runway
- audio alerts of bearing traffic (same as PAW)
- alerts for about to enter controlled airspace
- alerts for terrain and other obstacles

Things I don't like about SD audio alerts:
- announcements are slower than in PAW so take up more time to listen to,  and if a radio transmission comes in, the radio will be prioritised so more chance that you lose some of the SD audio alert
- no bearingless target announcements,  have to look at the screen
- unnecessary audio alerts, e.g. for when you fly from the surrounding CTR into the ATZ ('leaving Southend CTR', 'entering Southend ATZ')
- audio terrain alerts - the plane naturally sometimes bobs up and down whilst in flight and if it tips downwards slightly I get a useless 'terrain warning in 6 miles'.  It is very unlikely I am going to continue that downwards trajectory for the next 6 miles without noticing it, and despite trying all the settings I can't turn off in SD or reduce the sensitivity enough.   One thing to get visual alerts I can ignore but audio alerts interfere more
- audio traffic alerts are extremely enthusiastic.  Flying on Saturday, following another plane about a mile behind him,  and some minutes I would receive 2 or 3 audio traffic alerts in the same minute for the same plane !   Got very annoying after a while

I might persevere but think I will go back to PAW as it gives me what I want when I want it, and doesn't distract me unnecessarily.

Anyway, my personal experience, others may have differing views of the benefits of both.

Geoffrey