Author Topic: Mode-S/3D  (Read 2725 times)

GEAR

Mode-S/3D
« on: June 05, 2019, 12:58:49 pm »
I understand that an update of the software is imminent.  Will the PAW Classic unit be able to run the latest software or will an upgrade to Rosetta be necessary.

Thx

George

exfirepro

Re: Mode-S/3D
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2019, 01:12:27 pm »
Hi George,

The software runs fine on the Classic, though it will require a full update to ensure both the Raspberry Pi Kernel and the PAW software are updated together. More details will follow with the release.

Best Regards

Peter

Ian Melville

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2019, 01:36:50 pm »
Doesn’t that assume that all PAW Classic have Pi 3B?

exfirepro

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2019, 02:44:33 pm »
Ian,

I have the test software running on a Pi2B, but it doesn’t of course have Bluetooth. I’m not completely sure about all the other options though.

Regards

Peter

GEAR

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2019, 02:50:16 pm »
Would I gain anything by upgrading my processor to Pi3B and leaving all other Classic components unchanged. I am not too fussed about the aesthetic changes that come with Rosetta but would be more interested in performance issues.

George

exfirepro

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2019, 02:58:06 pm »
GEAR,

You could update to the Pi3B or the newer Pi3B+ (which will be supported once the new software is released).

Either of these will give better processing speed, plus onboard WiFi (so you can ditch the separate dongle) and also support Bluetooth Audio Out.

You can change your existing licence over to the new Pi by sending a request containing your name plus the 12 figure ‘MAC’ addresses of the old and new Pi to ‘support@pilotaware.com.

Regards

Peter

GEAR

« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2019, 03:00:25 pm »
Many thanks for your quick reply.

George

Mig29fuk

• G-MYUP. White Ox Mead Airstrip. Near Bath
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2019, 03:54:56 pm »
George
I have a Classic with RPi3B engine. Runs very well. Everything was placed in Enclosure and tie wrapped to the aircraft frame.
I used: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B06XSGHKFP/?coliid=I2RGZUOAVYQ7U1&colid=T0NKVZWFDAJ2&psc=1
Left out the Fan and all USB component connection are inside the Box except GPS.
The whole arrangemnt has proved very resilient and drop outs virtually nil.
I'm not sure what additional advantage there is in the Rosetta Bridge but until persauded otherwise my present arrangement continues.
Regards
Gerry
G-MYUP
White Ox Mead Airstrip
Bath. England

GEAR

« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2019, 04:07:01 pm »
Gerry,
Thanks for that information.  Enclosure looks good.

George