Author Topic: Transmit location over GSM?  (Read 7323 times)

Paul_Sengupta

Re: Transmit location over GSM?
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2019, 10:00:39 am »
Ideally speaking, yes, they should be set to flight mode when flying.

Before 3G was launched to the public in this country, I took the test kit up in the aeroplane with me and gave it a go to see what it was like to use the phone in the air. I've never seen so much signalling, not to mention broadcasting (causing interference) over a wide area!  :o

Moffrestorer

« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2019, 11:13:09 am »
Thanks Paul. It’s not something I’d considered previously. Hopefully it won’t stop me using the iPhone as Nav etc backup for the iPad Mini running EVFR with PAW.

Thx,

Chris

Paul_Sengupta

« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2019, 12:32:18 pm »
You may find that flight mode switches the Wifi off, so you might want to switch Wifi back on again. But if you're not using voice or data, leaving the phone switched on and not in flight mode isn't a huge problem.

bladeslapper

« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2019, 08:05:32 am »
... But if you're not using voice or data, leaving the phone switched on and not in flight mode isn't a huge problem.

I got the impression that just having the phone connecting to the network was the part that was not permitted, is this not the case?
To be honest I could not quite work out the specific details of the legislation link you sent. It seems to be an OFCOM exemption to the act of 2006 which permits the use of a GSM device under certain conditions - but that does not actually say that the device can't be used if those conditions are not met. I briefly looked in the act for the referenced section 8(1) but did not find it.

Can you provide any more information?

russp

« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2019, 02:25:28 pm »
And all those GSM connected tablets we all use for navigation - don't forget them too :) I'll bet most of us have at least two devices connecting to the cell network when we're flying GA (Probably more if we have passengers). Whilst it's technically against the regulations my understanding is that it's a lot less of a problem for the 4G networks than the 3G ones and it's unlikely to be behaviour that's changed by the majority of pilots anytime soon - especially while internet and voice connections work perfectly well while in flight. If it makes you feel better complying with the legislation by all means switch into airplane mode, just don't expect to get your Pilotaware feed over wifi while you do.   ;)
Russ

Hi Vic and Paul,

It’s likely that virtually all recreational pilots take their mobile phones with them whilst flying. Should we be switching them to Flight Mode to avoid transmissions “swamping” multiple cells due to increased height when airborne? What are the recommendations because I’m not aware that anything has been publicised. I thought that Flight Mode in phones was provided to avoid interference to flight instruments and aircraft systems, mainly in CAT.

Thx,

Chris