Author Topic: SkyDemon loss of connection (SOLVED)  (Read 14721 times)

PhilPassmore

Re: SkyDemon loss of connection
« Reply #30 on: May 13, 2019, 09:19:43 am »
By the time I had a problem, it had only dropped two 'notches' on the Anker display.

Ian Melville

« Reply #31 on: May 13, 2019, 12:39:11 pm »
That is a bigger charge status drop than I would have expected in 5hrs. My 22000mAh power pack lasts more than 24hrs.

I can see no mention of the USB lead. Is it still the supplied 1m juicebitz cable? I have had two of these cause power issues. I now only use a 20cm juicebitz lead and have had no further issues. When PAW moved from supplying  a 0.5m lead to 1.0m, I was a bit surprised.
Note: my battery is piggyback with the PAW so it is more convient to use a short lead as well.

exfirepro

« Reply #32 on: May 13, 2019, 01:34:00 pm »
Hi Phil,

I was going to say that it is looking like a faulty cable or could be a faulty power socket on the RPi. Lee’s offer to arrange a return sounds good to me and will hopefully resolve the issue.

Regards

Peter

PhilPassmore

« Reply #33 on: May 14, 2019, 09:37:27 am »
The fault has been reproduced on several USB cables, including the original supplied one and a second JuiceBitz one that I purchased.

Admin

« Reply #34 on: May 14, 2019, 09:52:36 am »
Hi Phil

Can I get one of the track files from when a disconnect occured ?
I will pm my email address

Thx
Lee

PhilPassmore

« Reply #35 on: May 14, 2019, 06:22:37 pm »
Lee, by all means, if you tell me where I need to obtain it; However, recent development. Was reading through other peoples woes, and came across a thread where they said they had had a very similar issue, except that their SD and PAW wouldn't communicate from the get go, even though the wifi was showing as active (pretty much the same symptom as mine, except mine would drop out after a variable period of time). They resolved it by changing the 'external device' setting in SD from PAW to Flarm, and then connecting via that. Well today, I have had PAW up and running for over nine hours by following this same route without a glitch. The log file is still showing a 'throttled 50005' return, but no falling over. I have been unconvinced that this has been a power issue, and this 'fix' makes it look more so. To be honest, I would be concerned if power performance was so marginal that a change of USB cable made the whole system fail.

exfirepro

« Reply #36 on: May 14, 2019, 06:49:08 pm »
Phil,

In an interesting development, SD has just released a beta test update this afternoon for iOS, in which...

The FLARM connectivity code has been rewritten in this build to be more resilient. if the AirConnect device drops the connection, or anything else occurs to the connection, SkyDemon will relentlessly keep re-attempting the connection forever. It will never kick you out of navigation mode.

Not sure how this relates to dropouts when using the ‘PilotAware’ UDP Connectivity option though. Perhaps Lee can advise.

WRT the track files, these are automatically recorded by date and start of flight time (e.g. 20190514:10.34) under the PilotAware ‘Tracks’ Tab (accessed via 192.168.1.1) and can be downloaded to a USB stick using the controls on the ‘Tracks’ screen - usually by using one of the ‘empty’ ports on the Pi for the USB stick, or where the ‘spare’ ports have been used for ‘FLARM-In’ or ADSB-Out’, by temporarily removing the GPS and using that port. (Attempting to download tracks or upload updates to a port which has been configured for one of the aforementioned uses can corrupt both the PAW Track files and the content of the USB stick).

Best Regards

Peter

SGS66

« Reply #37 on: May 14, 2019, 09:40:00 pm »
Am I missing something on the above post?
No need for messing about with USB sticks just use the browser on your phone to log on to the PAW and download the track and just email to yourself if you want to access the data on say a laptop later, or send in an email to somebody else.

exfirepro

« Reply #38 on: May 15, 2019, 08:05:11 am »
No - just me showing a memory glitch!  :(

When I did the post yesterday, I assumed Phil P would be using the standard Public Release Software Version 20180520, which I didn’t think had the Direct Download option in it (One of the perils of running multiple Beta versions on test over the years), so I described the ‘old but still commonly used’ USB method of downloading track files. I just dug out and powered up one of my old units to check and found to my surprise that ‘Direct Download’ was in the 20180520 Release - my doesn’t time fly - Sorry for the confusion!

Which means of course that either method can be used, depending on your preference.

Thanks for the reminder  :-[

Best Regards

Peter

Admin

Re: SkyDemon loss of connection (SOLVED)
« Reply #39 on: May 15, 2019, 11:25:55 pm »
Phil

I have set this to SOLVED as using the FLARM connection works for you.
I think we have a solution for the PilotAware/UDP version as well which will be in the release at the end of May/2019.
I can give you early access to test if you wish ?

Thx
Lee

PhilPassmore

« Reply #40 on: May 19, 2019, 12:46:40 pm »
Just to let folks know, the PAW/SD connection seems much more stable when connected via the 'FLARM' connection option in SD External devices.. That said, it has been agreed that my hardware will be returned to the company for more testing, just to make sure there isn't an issue with that (a replacement being provided) PAW are doing this despite me doing a little modification work along the way, trying my own solutions to the problem, so I would really like to thank the team for their help in all of this, they have been going above and beyond with stuff happening via email that hasn't been seen on the forum. Definite hallmarks of a first rate outfit.

SimonM

« Reply #41 on: June 03, 2019, 05:11:28 pm »
I'm really interested to hear if the team find any problems. I am experiencing exactly the same issue as the OP and will now try the FLARM setting in SD as a get around. I'm using a juicyBitz lead (i've tried 2 new ones) and a PowerADD 30000mah battery pack with nothing else plugged into it and still getting the 0x50000 fault showing historical power drop . The cpu temperature was at 66oC (a bit hot I think).
I have now ordered the (Keith Vinnings) recommended battery pack and will test again.

Admin

« Reply #42 on: June 03, 2019, 05:23:28 pm »
iOS or Android.
We have solved a nasty bug with Android recently, but difficult to say which Android devices are affected as they are all different. This fix is in the imminent release. 66degC is not really an issue, these are rated to 85DegC and will throttle if they get too hot.

I have forced a Pi3B to 104DegC - reported throttling, but continued to work correctly

Thx
Lee
« Last Edit: June 03, 2019, 05:25:24 pm by Admin »

SimonM

« Reply #43 on: June 03, 2019, 05:29:29 pm »
I'm using a Samsung Tab3 -8 T315 on Android and the JuicEBitz cables are 1mtr.

Vic

« Reply #44 on: June 03, 2019, 05:32:25 pm »
A very recent update to Skydemon last week...

29 May 2019   
"Improvements to the resilience of FLARM connections, which are now automatically reconnected if the connection drops "

--------------------------------------------o----------------------------------

SimonM, That's exactly the same tablet I have which gave me endless problems.

see http://forum.pilotaware.com/index.php/topic,1091.msg12991.html#msg12991

Create another user on the tablet (no need to ever use it) and your problems will disappear!
« Last Edit: June 03, 2019, 05:36:18 pm by Vic »