Author Topic: False/odd warning  (Read 3376 times)

kestrel539

False/odd warning
« on: June 04, 2019, 02:55:01 pm »
Hi,
Very new user here.

Have a Rosetta/Swiss Flarm ( ver 1 hardware)/Garrecht mode s/ Nexus 7 SD latest release.

Seems to work OK, tho' I've only flown with it twice.

Occasionally though, I have received a traffic warning in my 6 oclock, 0.1nm same level.

Friend sent me the attached, and you can see another, smaller silhouette underneath the large.

Not sure what all this means, or what to do about it, any help very welcome

Cheers
Ian K

Admin

Re: False/odd warning
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2019, 03:24:11 pm »
Hi Ian

So if I understand correctly you are emitting PilotAware and Flarm.
I would guess PilotAware is reporting your Flarm device via the OGN-R

You should use the same ID for all devices so that the filtering works accordingly, it sounds as though
Mode-S = 406636
PilotAware = 406636
Flarm = DD8C68

The fact that you are also Mode-S I would suggest Flarm should be set to 406636

Thx
Lee

AlanG

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2019, 03:33:02 pm »
Hi Ian

I'm guessing that the larger a/c image is your flarm receiver being recorded by "Shiren" OGN receiver and the smaller a/c  image is the PAW signal being received by the OGN-R side of the station.  This is common when flying in the vicinity of OGN-R as the signal is received from both.  You may often see the two images separated as one receiver drops the signal for a few seconds or even permanently if at the limit of range.  Don't forget there is quite a different power output from the two signals and this can cause one signal to remain static until it either gets another contact and jumps position or disappears due to timeout.
Had the receiving station been highlighting "PWShiren" Then the opposite would be true and the highlighted a/c image would be the PAW signal

Edit:  Beaten to the punch .  What Lee said.   :D

Alan
« Last Edit: June 04, 2019, 03:35:02 pm by AlanG »

kestrel539

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2019, 04:06:34 pm »
Thanks for the replies, but I'm not sure if I can change my Flarm ID; it is a classic Swiss Flarm F4, and I think I'm stuck with its ID.

Now I know what it is, I can live the problem if push comes to shove.

Cheers

Ian K

Ian Melville

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2019, 07:17:23 pm »
If it is the same F4 as I am thinking, then yes you can change it. The microSD should have a file flarmcfg.txt in the root, which the settings are placed. This allows individual pilots to share an aircraft with personalised SD Cards and the ability to move a FLARM unit to different aircraft.

I have never done it like this myself. I have a later FLARM that is done through a utility but it still has a config file(actually called flarmcfgnew.txt in my case), that looks like this.
Code: [Select]
# Basic Settings
$pflac,s,xpdr,0
$PFLAC,S,ID,40179F
$PFLAC,S,RANGE,4000
$PFLAC,S,NMEAOUT,1
$PFLAC,S,ACFT,8
$PFLAC,S,CFLAGS,0
$PFLAC,S,PRIV,0
$PFLAC,S,NOTRACK,0
$PFLAC,S,THRE,2

# IGC Settings
$PFLAC,S,LOGINT,1
$PFLAC,S,PILOT,
$PFLAC,S,COMPCLASS,
$PFLAC,S,COMPID,
$PFLAC,S,GLIDERID,GAWKD
$PFLAC,S,GLIDERTYPE,

# Baud rate
$PFLAC,S,BAUD,2

The document that you need is FTD-14 from the FLARM website. They make you jump through hoops to get a copy ::)

kestrel539

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2019, 10:11:26 am »
Thanks Ian, I shall have a look.

Problem is my flarm doesn't have an SD card slot

Ian Melville

« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2019, 01:38:56 pm »
Not the F4 I know of then.

I would suspect you can use the RS232 Connection to program it. Perhaps using the FLARM Tool.

exfirepro

« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2019, 02:51:51 pm »
Hi Kestrel,

Ian is correct. As I understand it, that’s exactly what you need to do. You may also need to check/update the registration of your unit on ‘FlarmNet’ at www.flarmnet.org

Regards

Peter

Januspilot

« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2019, 05:07:01 pm »
Follow this thread on gliderpilot.net
https://ras.gliderpilot.net/?op=s2&id=374417&vt=
This gent had a problem configuring his flarm F4

kestrel539

« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2019, 11:58:28 am »
Well, that was easy.

Using FlarmTool, created a new config file, changing ID from auto to ICAO code, reloaded config file, Flarm ID is now 406636.

Test fly on the weekend.

Thanks everybody for the advice.

Cheers

Ian K

Januspilot

« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2019, 04:12:51 pm »
Don't forget to put your registration, aircraft type icao number on open glider database. Registration not limited to gliders, database takes helicopters and powered aircraft.