Author Topic: SkyDemon loss of connection (SOLVED)  (Read 14794 times)

PhilPassmore

SkyDemon loss of connection (SOLVED)
« on: April 23, 2019, 03:59:53 pm »
Hi, just recently bought PAW to go in my SSDR and therefore not fitted it in the aircraft yet. I am bench running the setup, and on the whole am well satisfied with the results I am seeing. There does seem to be one small problem though. Despite running on a very clean, well regulated and multi-amp power supply, I am getting times when SkyDemon seems to lose connectivity with the PAW. At least initially, the PAW wifi network is still present, as it will sometimes re-connect. However, after a number of drop out/ reconnect cycles, it seems to get to the point where I am losing connectivity completely. I have tried upping the wifi power in configuration, and my tablet running skydemon is only a matter of a meter or so away from PAW. After powering off PAW for a while, all seems happy again. Is this likely to be a cooling issue? I have PAW inside a window at home, but the most recent failure occured with no direct sun, and not particullarly warm. These failures have happened after anything from a couple of hours of running, to 24 hours continuous.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2019, 11:24:02 pm by Admin »

Mig29fuk

• G-MYUP. White Ox Mead Airstrip. Near Bath
    • View Profile
Re: SkyDemon loss of connection
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2019, 06:48:09 pm »
Phil
My first suspicion would be 5V power to PAW even with your regulated supply.
Can you give some details on that supply?
Regards
Gerry
G-MYUP
White Ox Mead Airstrip
Bath. England

PhilPassmore

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2019, 07:48:44 pm »
It's a home brew power supply (I am pretty electrically/electronically savvy). Should quite happily deliver in excess of 5 amps.

Admin

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2019, 08:42:36 pm »
Hi Phil

I would suspect the power supply
First thing to check is the home page after running for a while, there is a warning generated for potential power issues
Could you post your home page please ?
Thx
Lee

PhilPassmore

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2019, 08:44:43 pm »
I will try to replicate the problem and reproduce the home page here. Thanks for the help.

Vic

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2019, 09:03:13 pm »
Phil

It isn't a Lenovo tablet by any chance?

exfirepro

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2019, 10:51:51 pm »
Phil,

With some devices, too high WiFi power can be worse than too low. Try decreasing the WiFi power level to say around 20mW. Remember you need to reboot for WiFi changes to take effect.

Let us know how you get on.

Regards

Peter

PhilPassmore

« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2019, 11:50:47 am »
Phil

It isn't a Lenovo tablet by any chance?

No, it's Galaxy Tab A6

PhilPassmore

« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2019, 11:53:38 am »
Now running on a commercial 5A USB power supply module, with only one output in use. WiFi power turned down as suggested above. Will update if difficulty replicates.

Ian Melville

« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2019, 01:00:24 pm »
Please update regardless of outcome Phil. It confirms the fix in case anyone else has the same issue.

AlanG

« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2019, 11:21:35 pm »
Hi Vic

I'm intrigued by your question about the possibility of it being a Lenovo tablet.
What do you know about Lenovo tablets that i don't   I've recently purchased one to run the new EasyVFR 4 that requires a 64 bit processor  & min 2 gig memory to run it.

Alan

exfirepro

« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2019, 08:58:32 am »
Morning Alan,

Predominantly Historic now, but have a read at this thread from back in 2017....

http://forum.pilotaware.com/index.php/topic,1091.msg12991.html#msg12991

Vic might be able to provide more up to date info. Hopefully not an issue with newer Lenovo Tabs - unless you find otherwise....

Regards

Peter

AlanG

« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2019, 10:20:03 am »
Thanks Peter
I did type "Lenovo" into the search box but it only came up with the post from Vic on this thread.  >:(

Alan

Vic

« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2019, 11:29:14 am »
Hi Alan

I had horrendous problems with at times constant disconnections with Skydemon on my Tab8-3 tablet to my PAW when UDP connection came in. The device seemed to be doing something 'far more important ' at times and 'ignoring' data coming in over wireless.

The eventual resolution was to create another user on the tablet (which is never used BTW) and the issue dissapeared. Why this resolved the issue is probably only known to Lenovo software design engineers who built and poorly supported the device  >:(.

Vic

AlanG

« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2019, 05:51:15 pm »
Thanks Vic

I read with interest all the problems you had on the thread that Peter linked to so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that they have resolved the issue in the Tab4-8 that I have just bought in order to become a Beta tester for the new EVFR4.

Alan