Author Topic: Plug and play OGN-R transceivers  (Read 5141 times)

trettum

Plug and play OGN-R transceivers
« on: March 27, 2019, 06:52:08 pm »
Hello,

Is it possible to buy a 100% finished product? or is it someone that could build these transceivers and sell them?

exfirepro

Re: Plug and play OGN-R transceivers
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2019, 08:01:19 pm »
Hi trettum,

PilotAware Rosetta is a ‘finished product’ - available to purchase in ready to fly form from www.pilotaware.com. All you need to do is connect it to your chosen power supply, obtain and enter the License Key and configure it to your particular aircraft and preferences.

Plenty of help available on here if required.

One of its great strengths is PilotAware’s policy of personal support and continuing development, which keeps it ahead of the game!

Regards

Peter

trettum

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2019, 08:05:18 pm »
Sorry for the misunderstanding.
I was thinking about the Open Glider Network ground station.

exfirepro

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2019, 08:18:52 pm »
Hi trettum,

Sorry, I misread your post. The OGN-R is basically a PilotAware Classic running OGN-R specific software, without gps or WiFi (it needs a direct connection to the internet). It also runs multiple SDR receiver dongles and high gain antennas.

PilotAware currently supply the Receiver and we can offer help in setting things up, but from personal experience, if you aren’t sure you have the technical ability to understand the workings and maintain the unit operational - it probably isn’t for you.

If you are interested, drop an e-mail to ogn@pilotaware.com.

Regards

Peter

trettum

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2019, 04:49:29 pm »
Thanks.

I am a Ham radio amateur but i dont have the time right now to build one.

I think if somone could build a plug and play product then more people will host a station and the network would expand very quickly. I have no problem to pay a bit extra for the assemble:)

exfirepro

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2019, 06:09:12 pm »
Hi trettum,

Have you read the build guide ? (see here https://pilotaware.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/Building-an-OGN-PAW-Uplink-.pdf)

There is very little 'building' involved. At the moment you can get a complimentary 'Classic' unit from PilotAware as the core of your station. You just need to buy the SDRs, power supply,  antennas and coax, put up the antennas and connect it to the internet. Keith & Ash can even supply most of the bits at cost and there is plenty of help on here if you need it. Drop them an e-mail. I have two stations on the go already and another 3 in the pipeline.

Best Regards

Peter

Keithvinning

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2019, 10:35:14 am »
Thanks.

I am a Ham radio amateur but i dont have the time right now to build one.

I think if somone could build a plug and play product then more people will host a station and the network would expand very quickly. I have no problem to pay a bit extra for the assemble:)

Hi. This is a good request and one that is being asked by many supporters.

We are currently developing an all in on a ready-built unit called TRIDENT. To help those that want an easy fit OGN-R that will also provide an uplink to 360 Radar, the OGN, Re-broadcast FLARM equipped Gliders and the latest Mode-S3/3D. And of course, Virtual RADAR server showing PilotAware, FLARM, and ADSB in real time and Mode S with an MLAT delay

The first 10 units will be provided, each for the price of a new Rosetta plus postage.

The unit is working well units have been installed at Blackbushe (PWEGLK) and Bembridge (PWEGHJ. The range is good and can be seen on http://ognrange.unseen.org.

If you or anyone else is interested in a ready built that can just be mounted on your antenna mount please contact ogn@pilotaware.com

Regards

Keith

« Last Edit: March 31, 2019, 02:45:26 pm by Keithvinning »

trettum

« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2019, 08:05:58 pm »
That sounds great Keith!

I will consider the Trident later. I just bought the Rosetta and testing it out now ;)

mariko

« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2019, 03:50:56 pm »
Hi,
here in Italy many airfield seems interested to istall an OGN-R station.
A ready-built kit is a clever idea and the TRIDENT seems to answer the question "what I need to build the station?"

What is in the box? Do I really need just an antenna pole, a power socket and a internet connection to build a fully functional OGN-R station?
Ciao
  Mariko

Keithvinning

« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2019, 09:03:31 am »
Hi Mariko
Yes just the pole internet and mains power. Connection is via a low voltage power cable and an Ethernet connection. It’s a beta development at the moment. Please send me an email for more details if you want one

Keith