Author Topic: Bluetooth Audio  (Read 3379 times)

russp

Bluetooth Audio
« on: March 28, 2019, 11:11:41 pm »
Has the update to include bluetooth audio been released yet? I'm seeing a lot of references to it's going to happen jus can't see if it has yet? If so I'll retrieve the PA from the plane and update it - if not I'll wait :) Thanks.

Ian Melville

Re: Bluetooth Audio
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2019, 06:56:25 am »
Not yet. I think Lee posted elsewhere it would be released in about 4 weeks. You do need one of the RPi that has BT on-board.

exfirepro

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2019, 08:34:12 am »
Ian / Russ,

IIRC what Lee said was that there would be an announcement in about 4 weeks. 'Release' will depend on the result of the currently ongoing testing.

Best Regards

Peter

russp

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2019, 10:13:12 am »
Thanks for the clarification - not sure my old RPi has onboard BT - will have to investigate.
Russ

exfirepro

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2019, 10:57:55 am »
Hi again Russ,

Your Foxbat photos show the PAW Classic which was supplied with a Version 1.1 or 1.2 Raspberry Pi  - RPi2B+, which doesn't have Bluetooth built in. The Bluetooth function only became available with the release of the RPi3B (which forms the core of the Rosetta) - though Bluetooth support isn't in the current (Version 20180520) PilotAware Public Release Software.

Bluetooth is also available on the newer RPi3B+ - but this model is NOT yet supported by PilotAware, though a few of us in the Test Team are running PilotAware 'Engineering' Software under test on the Pi3B+, so you might like to wait for the next software release, or go down the Rosetta Upgrade Route to RPi3*.

*Note: The Classic to Rosetta DIY Upgrade Kit DOES NOT include a new Raspberry Pi, but you could try dropping an e-mail to support @pilotaware.com to see if they can help.

Best Regards

Peter

russp

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2019, 12:05:12 pm »
Thanks Peter - I think I'll go down the wired route for now then and wait until the RPi3B+ is supported and then just port over everything to one of those units if that's an option  - I can't see any benefit of the Rosetta for my particular usage / install.

PaulSS

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2019, 01:51:39 pm »
Hi Russ,

If it's any help at all, my plan is to stick a Pi3 in my PAW 'classic' (same as yours) and then pay the bit extra for the guys to do whatever they need to do with bridges and things so it works. I, too, want the smaller size of the classic and will be installing external antennas etc, so don't really need the benefits of portability that Rosetta brings. I would then like to eventually use my Pi2 so I can build an OGN-R station. This is all quite some time away (I might receive my aircraft in Jul/Aug) but a chap has to have a plan. The Pi3 has built in Bluetooth as well as built in WIFI, so no need for dongles.

I've been pestering Lee & Co for so long about Bluetooth that they'd run me out of town if I didn't use it  :)

I've always thought I'd end up using Sky Demon as well but with PAW audio annunciating bearingless targets and the 'intelligent' audio that is rumoured to be in place with the MLAT update, I'm seriously looking at EasyVFR4 (when it comes out) and PAW audio to my headset. It's got quite a few features that look pretty nifty to me and they aren't so negative on the bearingless target subject.