Author Topic: Using PAW to provide traffic info only  (Read 2461 times)

Lerk

Using PAW to provide traffic info only
« on: March 20, 2019, 12:40:49 pm »
Hi all,
Prompted by a discussion ongoing on the SkyDemon forum...

I've just bought a share in an aircraft with a permanently fitted PAW (previously I was renting with a carry-on setup).
Because the PAW is powered from the avionics bus, it cannot be running prior to engine start as per my previous battery powered setup.
As I have become used to using the engine start and off blocks logging feature on SD, this is a bit of a pain as you can't 'go flying' until the GPS has warmed up on the PAW.

I was querying whether there was a way to start a flight using internal GPS then switch to PAW once booted up, but someone has suggested using internal GPS for navigation and use the PAW to feed pure traffic information to SD.

Not having got involved in the technical details of the transmission between PAW and SD, can the two bits of information be separated or are they intrinsically linked?

Admin

Re: Using PAW to provide traffic info only
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2019, 05:01:18 pm »
You cannot do this with SkyDemon. it is a restriction of SkyDemon not PilotAware
EasyVFR has finer controls which you can choose the Traffic and GPS soource individually

Thx
Lee

russp

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2019, 06:34:32 pm »
You can also separate the GPS source with Runway HD and use the GPS in the tablet alongside PA traffic although I have to say having played with both Runway HD and EasyVFR the traffic Display in EasyVFR is excellent.

Lerk

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2019, 07:47:35 pm »
Useful Info!
Thanks

Does a ‘contact’ just get sent to the EFB program as a waypoint then?
« Last Edit: March 20, 2019, 07:51:36 pm by Lerk »

Admin

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2019, 07:43:10 am »
Data sent to the EFB is unmodifired, the EFB simply ignores the gps messages
Thx
Lee