Author Topic: Rosetta & Oudie IGC  (Read 4594 times)

andyarj

Rosetta & Oudie IGC
« on: March 11, 2019, 07:31:13 pm »
 I fly a standard Cirrus glider and use an Oudie IGC as a flight computer. Has anyone used pilot aware Rosetta with an Oudie IGC. If so could you please explain how you did it. I would like to see traffic on the radar like display that is included in the Oudie.
Thanks in anticipation.

PaulSS

Re: Rosetta & Oudie IGC
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2019, 03:25:11 am »
I've never seen the unit before but it would seem from the manual, page 13, that serial inputs are possible. So, much like connecting PAW to an EFIS etc, you could get an FTDI USB to serial adapter, something like:

https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/kvm-mixed-cable-assemblies/6877828/

This can then take the output from PAW to your serial input on the IGC (maybe using the DB9 adapter would be the easiest way of doing this). After that it would be a matter of configuring it in the COM 4 settings. That would require a bit of reading on your part as I'm too dim to figure that bit out  :-[

peter.seddon

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2019, 09:12:04 am »
Flying in a glider I would have thought dodging other gliders was more significant than looking out for power. I use FLARM for this with the Oudie.
Peter S
G-DDLA

PaulSS

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2019, 09:51:15 am »
From my very brief look at the manual, Peter, it seems you may be able to do both. Of course, I could very easily be mistaken  :)

peter.seddon

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2019, 12:00:14 pm »
If you have Roseta it will show gliders and power from other FLARM units in the area but you won't get the active collision avoidance function of the FLARM. FLARM does tell you about other units in the area (PAW inc) but it calculates if other tracks and yours will conflict and gives you an audible warning.
Peter S
G-DDLA

PaulSS

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2019, 01:48:53 pm »
So on this particular device is it not possible to have Flarm (with all the bells and whistles as you normally would in a glider) AND, via serial input, PAW as well?

xtophe

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2019, 04:44:43 pm »
The Oudie only have one serial input so we can connect only Flarm or PAW or ... 

But we are discussing 2 functions: collision avoidance and situation awarness.
Flarm alone even with the most basic led display is fine for collision avoidance against flarm equiped gliders.

I see connecting PAW or FLARM to the Oudie as situation awarness. So the OP need to choose if he want situation awarness on Flarm a/c  or on PAW/Adsb/(flarm if ogn-r) a/c

Admin

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2019, 07:18:45 pm »
Connect flarm to paw on rs232 configured as FLARM-IN
Connect paw to oudie on rs232 configured as FLARM-OUT

We are looking at enhancing this to use a single rs232 for rx/tx together connecting 2 devices as above

Thx
Lee

PaulSS

« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2019, 12:47:37 am »
That's interesting, Lee (and imaginative)  :)

I don't have horse in the race and it is purely me being nosey but if the OP were to do as you have suggested would all the collision avoidance software work on his Oudie with the Flarm data that has been routed through PAW? I understand that with your solution he would be able to see Flarm and PAW traffic but I was just wondering if the unit would still be able to do its traffic avoidance job of Flarm targets, as well as see both.

Admin

« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2019, 07:31:05 am »
Hi Paul

The direct flarm data is passed on un-modified in terms of the threat levels
So yes, this would work as though flarm was connected directly

One point to add, oudie is not performing the collision avoidance, flarm is determining threats in its data message
Thx
Lee
« Last Edit: March 14, 2019, 07:33:43 am by Admin »

peter.seddon

« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2019, 04:50:38 pm »
In my glider, I use the Oudie as a moving map for airspace etc, and I have an LED display in parallel to warn me of a conflict. As the Oudie and LED display are both listeners only they don't interfere with each other.
Peter S
G-DDLA