Author Topic: performance in the south-east  (Read 3938 times)

nespor

performance in the south-east
« on: June 04, 2018, 07:38:01 pm »
Hi,

I'm thinking of getting a Rosetta and want to find out how good the detection performance is in the south-east and around london in particular. Could any users in the area give me an opinion: what proportion of GA planes are detected, how useful the warnings are (particularly the warnings due to mode S contacts, which I am guessing are the most common), how it compares when flying cross country versus in circuit, and any other impressions? Thanks.

Ian Melville

Re: performance in the south-east
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2018, 08:12:09 pm »
Not sure that anyone has actual numbers, nor do I think it is possible to get anything more than a gut feeling. Are you making a go/no go decision on the purchase based on this info?

In making a comparison you need to decide what with? PAW viz Mk1 eyeball, PAW viz FLARM, PAW viz SkyEcho etc. I am of the opinion that there is nothing close to a properly set up PAW system in giving the best chance of being alerted to a threat. And a bonus is that you can still use the Mk1 eyeball 😄 , in fact you are encouraged it use that first.

OGN coverage east of Tunbridge wells could do with improving to cover Hellfire Corner. If you need to see gliders in this area,  start campaigning to get the local airfields onboard, though significantly less gliding seems to happen down where you are.

nespor

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2018, 10:41:13 pm »
Yes, I'm trying to gauge whether it's worth the purchase or not. A gut feeling is fine - e.g. do you see most planes go by without a detection or most planes with a detection? I'm using the eyeball now. :)

Paul_Sengupta

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2018, 03:03:01 am »
Remember that the more units out there, the more people will see each other on their displays, so it becomes self perpetuating.

Buying one, new or old unit, will make you visible to us and all of us on this forum visible to you.

brinzlee

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2018, 01:32:12 pm »
I'm in the South East......There are quite a few units dotted around.....Southend has some......as does North Weald that I know of........It's an evolving community.....
I pick up all the ADSB jets from Southend with ease.....as I also do from Mode S and Charlie

SGS66

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2019, 07:41:07 pm »
Noticed this thread and so I add myself to the PilotAware user List

Phil (EGKA)

jollyrog

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2019, 08:07:17 am »
I use it in two aircraft in the South East and wouldn't be without it.