Author Topic: PilotAware Audio Output  (Read 6688 times)

Gramac

PilotAware Audio Output
« on: February 26, 2019, 12:51:16 am »
I have just installed the PilotAware Rosetta in a flexwing and everything appears to be working in that it pick up outherbaircraft local to me. I am running SkyDemon and have a Bluetooth MicroAvionics radio interface.

I made a point today of being proximate to other aircraft to hear the audio warnings, but received none.  I have now read somewhere that I may need to hardwire an audio output to the radio interface.  Is this correct please and if o can you point me in the ignition direction for the lead?

I have ordered a Trigg transponder too and understand that there is a hardwire between PilotAware and the transponder which is hopefully supplied. 

Many thanks,

Graham

PaulSS

Re: PilotAware Audio Output
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2019, 07:56:23 am »
Hi Gramac,

Non-expert here  :-[  I assume you are running your Sky Demon on an iPad or similar. If this is the case you should be able to pair your iPad (or similar) Bluetooth to your MicroAvionics radio interface. Provided you have the latest version of Sky Demon then you should get audio from it, to your headset, via the iPad Bluetooth connection. Make sure all the audio options are turned on or else it'll be quire quiet. There is a simulator function that allows you to test the new SD audio but I only speak from Forum knowledge as mine is still but a dream.

I have never heard of the radio interface but, presumably, it is a Bluetooth receiver that connects to your headset allowing you to hear anything it is paired with. If this is the case then you shouldn't need any more hardware.

Mentioned in another thread is the forthcoming Bluetooth audio output directly from Pilot Aware (using the Raspberry Pi 3). I believe they said they were going to combine that with the new MLAT functionality. Fairly obviously, you would then just pair your radio interface with your PAW instead of your iPad (or similar).

For ADSB Out from your Trig transponder you need to supply the GPS data from your PAW to the extended squitter of your Xpdr. If you search on this forum you'll find plenty of information about it but you'll need to buy an RS232 adaptor (I THINK it is the FTDI but hopefully someone who knows what they're talking about can confirm it) that plugs into one of the PAW USB ports and then one wire (TX) goes to pin 5 on the TT21/22 and the ground wire goes to pin 4. This will cost you about 18 squids.

exfirepro

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2019, 03:16:21 pm »
Hi Graham,

PilotAware Bluetooth Audio is in testing, ([edit] since before SkyDemon audio was introduced), but not yet released. In the meantime you need to hard wire the audio output from the PilotAware to your interface using a cable (normally with 3.5mm jack plugs at either end). With most interfaces, this usually works with either stereo or mono jack plugs.

To connect your PilotAware to a Trig Transponder for Mode S-ES (ADSB) Out, you do (as per Paul’s post) need a USB to Serial RS232 converter cable. We recommend the FTDI USB-RS232-WE-1800-BT-0-0 cable about £18 from either RS Components or Farnell (beware of cheap copies sold elsewhere as FTDI). You need to connect the orange wire to pin 5 (Serial Data In) and the black wire to pin 4 (Ground) on the Trig 25 way Sub-D connector and make a couple of fairly simple setting changes in PAW and the Transponder.

Let me know when you’ve got the bits and I’ll post the settings.

Regards

Peter

« Last Edit: February 28, 2019, 05:20:13 pm by exfirepro »

PaulSS

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2019, 11:02:07 pm »
Hi Peter,

Why would Graham need to hard wire the PAW to the interface? He said he has a Micro Avionics BT adapter, so wouldn't that act as a BT receiver from his iPad (with SkyDemon) and then pipe the audio to his headset?

I've never seen or used one of these adapters, whereas you flexwing chaps seem to all have them. The very slight possibility may be that I've got it all wrong......again  :D

I think this is what he has: https://www.ukppg.com/apps/webstore/products/show/1464783

exfirepro

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2019, 08:58:05 am »
Hi Paul,

That will be fine if he only wants to listen to the SkyDemon audio warnings. Having been in South America for the last 3 weeks, I haven’t got round to trying the SkyDemon Audio yet, so can’t really comment - possibly later today though!

My advice was to allow Graham to receive the PilotAware audio alerts until the PilotAware software version which supports Bluetooth connectivity is released.

Regards

Peter
« Last Edit: February 27, 2019, 08:59:38 am by exfirepro »

PaulSS

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2019, 09:00:42 am »
Cheers Peter, all understood. I was just wondering if there was a technical reason he had to wire the PAW to the adapter and to see whether I was talking my normal load of bolleaux  ;)

Gramac

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2019, 02:32:25 am »
Hi Peter,

Why would Graham need to hard wire the PAW to the interface? He said he has a Micro Avionics BT adapter, so wouldn't that act as a BT receiver from his iPad (with SkyDemon) and then pipe the audio to his headset?

I've never seen or used one of these adapters, whereas you flexwing chaps seem to all have them. The very slight possibility may be that I've got it all wrong......again  :D

I think this is what he has: https://www.ukppg.com/apps/webstore/products/show/1464783

This is what I have...... https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=WyRzC7LVYSc

Gramac

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2019, 02:35:12 am »
Hi Paul,

That will be fine if he only wants to listen to the SkyDemon audio warnings. Having been in South America for the last 3 weeks, I haven’t got round to trying the SkyDemon Audio yet, so can’t really comment - possibly later today though!

My advice was to allow Graham to receive the PilotAware audio alerts until the PilotAware software version which supports Bluetooth connectivity is released.

Regards

Peter

Peter, so until the software update is released, then its a physical connection between my Radio interface and PilotAware? When is the release likely please ?

Kind regards,

Graham

PaulSS

« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2019, 07:35:56 am »
Peter, so until the software update is released, then its a physical connection between my Radio interface and PilotAware?

Or pair your tablet with your interface (as per your YouTube video) and use SkyDemon's vocal audio until PAW's comes out. No need to hard wire anything......until you get your transponder.

Gramac

« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2019, 02:06:36 pm »
Peter, so until the software update is released, then its a physical connection between my Radio interface and PilotAware?

Or pair your tablet with your interface (as per your YouTube video) and use SkyDemon's vocal audio until PAW's comes out. No need to hard wire anything......until you get your transponder.

I get SkyDemon warnings through blue tooth, but there’s no audio warnings coming from PilotAware even though aircraft are showing (Call sign and vertical Clearance) on the SkyDemon screen in flight.

Regards

Graham

exfirepro

« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2019, 05:17:43 pm »
Hi Graham,

The PilotAware audio is completely separate from SkyDemon’s version (see edit above). Not sure how that will work via Bluetooth, unless we can use some sort of mixer arrangement. I need to investigate.

Regards

Peter
« Last Edit: February 28, 2019, 05:21:25 pm by exfirepro »

PaulSS

« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2019, 11:14:15 pm »
I get SkyDemon warnings through blue tooth, but there’s no audio warnings coming from PilotAware even though aircraft are showing (Call sign and vertical Clearance) on the SkyDemon screen in flight.

I believe SkyDemon does not give any audio warning for bearingless targets but, apart from that, the SkyDemon traffic warnings should be the same as the PAW warnings. I assume you have the latest version of SkyDemon (with the 'intelligent' verbal audio) and that you've turned on all the speech options in the SD settings. In which case you should get verbal traffic warnings from SD and can use that until the new and improved version arrives from PAW   :)

exfirepro

« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2019, 09:05:17 am »
Hi again Paul /All,

As things currently stand, PAW audio alerts will be pretty much essential when ModeS-3D comes fully on line (currently being extensively tested only in a couple of areas) as this is only displayed on SD by using the GDL90 protocol - which doesn’t support visual warnings for Bearingless Traffic.

This concerned me somewhat when I first started running GDL90 in testing, however my fears were rapidly allayed as long as the PAW audio alerts remain available for the Bearingless Traffic. The only slight concern is that if you miss the Relative Altitude part of the audio alert - for example, due to a concurrent radio message, you have to concentrate your visual search more intensely until a further audio alert confirms the relative altitude of the approaching aircraft.

As I say, I still have to run the SkyDemon Audio in the air, but will report back when I do.

Best Regards

Peter

mariko

« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2019, 02:01:49 pm »
Hi all
verbal traffic warnings are available only in english, i suppose. They are very basic but for foreigners not used to hear english, they need a effort to be fully understood
Are the Pilotaware team planning to set verbal traffic warnings available in other languages? What do you need to do that?
Ciao
  Mariko

Vic

« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2019, 07:10:43 pm »
Had my first enforced experience of Skydemon's verbal warnings yesterday in a short flight from Thurrock to Andrewsfield. I forgot to connect my BT dongle into the PAW so I enabled SD warnings on Bluetooth into our PAR200 Comms panel.

Must say, I was impressed, it even gave me a verbal warning of a farm strip I was about to overfly at 1500ft ("Warning, airfield 1 mile ahead"), Guess it'll also do this for Glider sites.