Author Topic: Rosetta Startup Failure  (Read 3949 times)

BarryW

Rosetta Startup Failure
« on: January 29, 2019, 03:52:53 pm »
I recently had my Classic PilotAware unit upgraded to a Rosetta and have encountered a number of problems. Initially, when I first received the unit – it started ok, but subsequently the start times got longer (eg. 7-9 mins) and currently the device fails to start at all – with the log just showing multiple ‘Await Radio Start’ messages.

At present , the startup/boot sequence proceeds as follows:
-   After 90 secs: WiFi comes alive and home page interface status shows WiFi and ADS-B  as Green, TRX and Press Alt show red and GPS is orange
-   The log displays ‘Await Radio Start’ every 2 secs and never gets any further

I would add that I’m using the recommended Anker Powercore 5.2V power pack with the supplied cable.

Any help/suggestions in getting this unit up and running would be very welcome.

exfirepro

Re: Rosetta Startup Failure
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2019, 07:12:49 pm »
Hi Barry,

Sounds like your unit isn’t getting a proper GPS fix ((GPS status Orange). The PilotAware Transceiver ‘Bridge’ (TRX) won’t start to transmit until a solid GPS fix is confirmed (to make sure it isn’t broadcasting an incorrect location). The unit needs to be outside in the clear and ‘right way up’ for the GPS antenna to get a good fix on the satellites, which can initially take up to 20 minutes, though it is gets much faster once it has worked out where it is.

Give this a try and let us know how you get on.

Regards

Peter

AlanG

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2019, 07:15:46 pm »
Barry
Your report that the GPS indicator is orange is the reason that the Tx/Tx & Press Alt will remain at red.
These will not operate until you have GPS fix.  What we need to understand is why you are not getting a GPS fix.
Are you operating the unit indoors or outside where it can get a good view of the sky.  If the unit has not been on for a few days it can take a while to establish a GPS lock.  Also if the unit has been moved from place to place switched off it can also take a while to determine its new location and get a lock.
More info on this will help.

Regards
Alan

Edit:  Pipped at the post by Peter.   AGAIN!!!!
« Last Edit: January 29, 2019, 07:17:56 pm by AlanG »

BarryW

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2019, 05:16:50 pm »
Hi Peter/Alan,

Thanks for getting back to me

As suggested, today I took the Rosetta unit outside (all previous tests indoors) – and somewhat to my surprise, it started perfectly normally with 5 green status indicators. Initially, the GPS dropped out a couple of times, but once it had captured 6-7 satellites - it remained stable

The previous GPS dongle on the classic units was quite happy operating indoors on a window ledge – so the Rosetta version must operate quite differently

Anyway, I can now move on and try it in the actual aircraft. Many thanks for your help in sorting out this issue.

Regards,
Barry

exfirepro

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2019, 09:13:26 pm »
Hi Barry,

Both units essentially work the same. In fact the Rosetta has a better GPS dongle than the Classic had. The problem is that when a GPS is moved some distance from its last running point (in this case the production facility near Stratford), it becomes temporarily ‘lost’ and it takes it a while - and a good view of as many satellites as possible - to re-establish its position (technically to re-establish its ‘Ephemeris Database’). Once it has done this it probably will run fine indoors, though with less reliability - Outdoors or at least with a good clear view of the sky is always better.

N.B. Don’t be fooled into a false sense of security in a conservatory - the coatings on modern glass often incorporate a metallic element which can block GPS signals.

Anyway, glad it is now performing as anticipated.

Best Regards

Peter

neilmurg

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2019, 09:18:51 pm »
The Rosetta has a better GPS dongle?
What's the new one please? I did a homebrew upgrade to Rosetta, including low power SDRs, case, Y-cable to remote aerials. I'd get the 'better dongle' as well if I knew what it was :-)

Keithvinning

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2019, 10:04:50 am »
Hi Neil
Drop me a PM please

Cheers

Keith