Author Topic: new rosetta user  (Read 5206 times)

stodge

new rosetta user
« on: January 10, 2019, 01:58:34 pm »
So I've finally taken the plunge and bought a Rosetta (as opposed to SkyEcho 2 which I was also seriously considering) and I've been playing with it at home in central London (seeing a lot of ADSB-emitting jets of course and nothing else). Tomorrow I'll be giving the unit a test run for the first time in my Cessna 182 from Denham. The plan is to wifi to SD and also use 'radar' on a separate i-phone so I can see both PAW's own display and SD's. Have set audio to my Bose headset via the Bose jack.

I believe I have set the configs correctly for my purposes but we will see what happens! Meanwhile I have a couple of quick questions:

1. Being hopelessly non-technical (and therefore probably quite a useful PAW customer as the product spreads into the wider GA community) can someone explain what the SD card is actually for? I can't see any explanation anywhere but perhaps I'm not looking carefully enough. Is it for software upgrades only? Where and when does it fit and what does it do? Apologies if this seems a truly silly question but I might be a silent minority here?

2. Does anyone know how gliders are represented/displayed in SD if they are picked up on OGN-R? Does the symbol look just like a 'normal' light powered aircraft or does it look like a glider? Useful to know when you're looking out of the window for traffic...

Grateful for any help.... Sure I'll probably have other questions once I've had a go with the unit tomorrow in anger, as it were!

Stodge

Ian Melville

Re: new rosetta user
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2019, 02:27:40 pm »
The SD card is where the operating system and software is installed. Think of it as the Pi equivalent of a hard disk.

Gliders will show as a glider symbol, with 'G' rather than a call sign or flight number.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2019, 04:12:41 pm by Ian Melville »

Vic

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2019, 03:39:01 pm »
Hi Stodge

Coincidentally, here's a screenshot from Skydemon I took whilst we were climbing out of Fenland on Saturday.  You can see two gliders operating at Crowland along with the Ground station located there.

Vic

Seanhump

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2019, 04:45:01 pm »
I think Stodge may be referring to the SD Card adapter for the Micros SD Card that's in the Rosetta

The Micros SD card as Ian has said can be thought of as a small hard drive - if you look on the Rosetta you'll see a finger sized dimple on the case between the two antenna's - this is where the Micro SD card is (it's plugged into the Raspberry Pi and can be removed if necessary) . A Micro SD card is about the size of a fingernail.

The full sized SD Card is actall the adapter for the Micro SD card and this allows you to connect the Micro SD card to a PC etc assuming you have a slot for it or a SD card reader.

Hope this makes sense

Cheers
Pilotaware user ...

exfirepro

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2019, 06:10:07 pm »

The Micros SD card as Ian has said can be thought of as a small hard drive - if you look on the Rosetta you'll see a finger sized dimple on the case between the two antenna's - this is where the Micro SD card is (it's plugged into the Raspberry Pi and can be removed if necessary) . A Micro SD card is about the size of a fingernail.

The full sized SD Card is actall the adapter for the Micro SD card and this allows you to connect the Micro SD card to a PC etc assuming you have a slot for it or a SD card reader.

Hope this makes sense

Cheers

Hi Stodge,

(My Bold above)   Just to clarify… The microSD card can be removed - for example to carry out a full manual software upgrade (see the User Instructions on www.pilotaware.com ), but to avoid any risk of corrupting the ‘disc’, please don’t remove or replace it when the unit is powered on. Oh and if you do ‘remove’ it don’t expect PilotAware to run without it properly back in place.

Regards

Peter

SGS66

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2019, 05:36:36 pm »
Here is another new user and my question. What is the port next to the power port on the Rosetta device ?

Seanhump

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2019, 05:58:09 pm »
It's the HDMI output for the Raspberry Pi ...
Pilotaware user ...

Seanhump

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2019, 06:00:34 pm »
I think Stodge may be referring to the SD Card adapter for the Micros SD Card that's in the Rosetta

Hope this makes sense

Cheers

Interestingly, I flew over Fenland yesterday and didn't see the ground station pop up … I wonder if it was offline  ..?
Pilotaware user ...

Ian Melville

« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2019, 07:50:55 pm »
Were you outside the filter range you have set? i.e. +- 2000' and you were 2500' above.

Later versions of PAW software also have an option to hide ground stations. Not sure if this has been released to the public yet?

Seanhump

« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2019, 10:18:41 pm »
I was running the latest engineering release, with the filters set to the maximums …. (so I can see things working ..)

I cruised over the top at 3000' and can remember thinking at the time that there should be a ground station round here....
Pilotaware user ...

exfirepro

« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2019, 10:28:19 pm »
Sean,

I take it you did have the ‘Display Ground Stations’ option ‘Enabled’.

SGS66,

The PAW HDMI Port on the Raspberry Pi isn’t normally used, but it can be extremely useful, for example to attach a monitor or TV screen to watch the unit reconfigure the microSD drive and boot up after a manual upgrade, or to check the boot process in the event of a fault.

Regards All

Peter

Keithvinning

« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2019, 08:19:04 am »
Interestingly, I flew over Fenland yesterday and didn't see the ground station pop up … I wonder if it was offline  ..?

Yes it’s down I’ll get in touch

Keith