Author Topic: Audio alerts - how to connect PAW to Funke ATR833-II radio  (Read 4251 times)

Gary Nelson

Audio alerts - how to connect PAW to Funke ATR833-II radio
« on: February 20, 2019, 03:40:46 pm »
Has anyone connected the PAW audio output directly into the external audio input of a Funke ATR833-II radio to receive audio traffic warnings and how was it connected i.e is it simply plug to plug or is it more complicated than that?

Ian Melville

Re: Audio alerts - how to connect PAW to Funke ATR833-II radio
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2019, 06:28:09 pm »
I've done an ATR833S, which I doubt is much different.
I put a 3.5mm mono socket on a subpanel, which also included a socket for RS232 programming lead. Connect Panel to PAW with Mono or stereo male 3.5mm to Male 3.5mm lead. Note: Mono socket must short the screened cable when connecting cable is removed.

Diagram attached

Gary Nelson

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2019, 11:12:55 am »
Lummie looks complicated - I am trying to not have any wires in the cabin and just have a single wire from my permanent Pilot Aware feeding into the back of my Funke.... from what you kindly described do I simply need a lead with 3.5mm male both ends to plug and play... I was hoping to get everything ready and then just turn up at my airfield with everything I needed. I couldn't see a photo online anywhere of the back of my Funke to see what the aux input actually looks like (nor in the manual) and may have to open up the 40 odd screws access panel to actually have a look firstly.

Ian Melville

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2019, 12:48:37 pm »
The Aux input is exactly as my drawings.

That is not complicated, it’s the minimum wiring for a radio with two headsets. There is no single Aux in socket, you will need to tap into the D type connector. Though it is possible you have an off the self harnes, which may have two input wires coiled up behind the panel that you can put some connectors on. Without diving behind the panel, I cannot tell what your installation is.

tnowak

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2019, 10:31:30 am »
I haven't tried it yet but is it likely my Samsung S8 smartphone's earphone socket can drive the external audio input of a Trig TY91 radio?
Thinking of how I can get Skydemon EC audio announcements into my headsets.
Would a direct wired connection work of would a pre-amp be required?
Tony

Ian Melville

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2019, 06:01:59 pm »
Yes, it should work Tony, though Trig does not mention any specifications, it does mention 'MP3 players or other entertainment inputs'., which is just what your S8 is. There is an Aux In volume control to fine tune it.

Cheers
Ian

Robski

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2019, 07:40:37 am »
The tablet headphone to Trig aux should work but one thing I found in a similar installation was earth loop issues.
This manifested itself as unacceptable noise on the audio when the tablet was being run / charged from plane power. Run the tablet on its internal battery - no noise. Connect to mains - noise.

Just something to be aware of and test for.
It is possible those nice people at Trig have put an isolating transformer on the aux in to avoid this sort of issue.
Rob
If the good Lord had intended man to fly He would have given him more money.

AlanK

« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2019, 08:20:33 pm »
Having simmilar noise issues ourselves, although it seems random and not always when the IPAD is charging from the aircraft (eg even when connected to USB pack)

Currently trying a cheap Bluetooth dongle so the intercom is connected to that and there is an air gap between ipad and Bluetooth dongle - job done! :D