Author Topic: PAw traffic audio or Skydemon audio?  (Read 3220 times)

neilmurg

PAw traffic audio or Skydemon audio?
« on: February 13, 2019, 05:05:05 pm »
Has anyone tried the SD beta with traffic audio generated by SD?
Is there a way to see how the two systems differ in the way they issue warnings?

I'm about to start trialling the SD system, I fear it may be confusing if I have both running together. I can change the voice in SD
Ideally I'd like to see how they both react to a set script, say from a PAw TRK file, rather than leaving it to chance while flying.

Seanhump

Re: PAw traffic audio or Skydemon audio?
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2019, 10:14:06 pm »
I saw the details for this … be interesting to see how they compare..
Pilotaware user ...

Ian Melville

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2019, 12:17:45 pm »
There is no real comparison.
SD Is assessing the conflicts and only reports those that are a real threat. No bearing less reporting
PAW only tells you what is there, and transmitting something, no assessment is made. Can do mode C/S bearing less reports

With OGN/R Mode-S/3D the number of bearingless targets drops to low numbers, so the lack of Bearingless is less of an issue moving forward.

SD will have a choice of voices. I have heard several negative comments about the choice of voice in PAW.

BTW not tried it yet myself, so the above it only what I have gleaned from comments on forums and emails.

neilmurg

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2019, 12:42:58 pm »
I'll let you know what I find.
We have a Bluetooth capable audio panel, GMA345 so I hope I can connect my SD tablet via Bluetooth, the PAw is connected through the Aux port. If the SD 'say bearingless' option no longer works I may be asking for a PAw 'annunciate bearingless targets only' option.
I like the PAw voice, the SD voice sounds the same, with options being a slight change in pitch, male/female and accents, British, Australian, American, Indian.

exfirepro

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2019, 01:49:38 am »
Interesting commments guys. I have the SD Beta, but am out in Colombia at the moment so haven’t had time yet to try it, but will do so when I get back. Please post your findings/thoughts on here.

Best Regards

Peter

neilmurg

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2019, 11:31:49 pm »
Tried it today but failed to learn what I wanted :(

I have PAw connected to the Audio Panel via 3.5mm audio cable. SD connected to headset via Bluetooth (it should also connect to the Bluetooth Audio Panel, but I couldn't confirm that that worked)

Lessons learnt:
Check PAw WiFi connect and Audio OK. Goto 192.168.1.1/configure and press 'Test' if you don't hear 'Pilotaware' (Audio Panel didn't have 'Music' selected (the PAw channel)). So no PAw sound.
[this step also important to check green lights on ADS-B/GPS/Baro reading/PAw signal/WiFi]
Check SD Bluetooth connection successful, select new voice in SD (it then speaks so you can check setup) and make sure you hear it (My Bluetooth volume on headset was on minimum / 0). So no SD intelligent sound.
Mk1 eyeball still works! Conflict, 300ft above on climb out, flying 50 ft above ATZ on the runway track... I saw it later on the .trk file / aircrew.co.uk
Get someone else to operate aircraft while I operate the test

.trk file was useful. I saw what it picked up. Also saw most targets that were of interest were Mode C/S, therefore bearingless at the moment. SD wouldn't have warned for my 300ft conflict opposite direction overhead. That's not a criticism of SD, too early to tell, reduced warnings are a potentially great benefit. Other bearingless targets were dubious (echos?) or in the circuit (too many to be useful, Mk1 eyeball preferred)

Not what I intended to learn, but learning. I hope that's helpful to someone.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2019, 11:39:52 pm by neilmurg »