Author Topic: LAA modification procedure for permanent pilotaware install questions  (Read 3143 times)

russp

Can someone who's been through the LAA mod procedure for a permanent pilotaware install tell me which mod procedure is used (I'm guessing just the Aircraft Avionics Installation?), how long it took, and whether they let you do your own test or if you have to find a certified test pilot? Fitting it seems easy compared with getting it approved and all the potential aircraft downtime?

Richard

Re: LAA modification procedure for permanent pilotaware install questions
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2019, 08:21:08 am »
The first thing to do is speak to your LAA Inspector. He/She may just class you installation as a miner mod and not require any feather LAA involvement. There is A mod for connecting your transponder to a un certified GPS, you could just say the PAW is the un certified GPS. Look on the LAA Website the info is avalabe.
Richard.
Europa XS

BobD

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2019, 09:27:07 am »
The MOD details can be found here :
http://www.lightaircraftassociation.co.uk/engineering/TechnicalLeaflets/Mods%20and%20Repairs/TL%203.03%20Avionics%20Installations.pdf
If you connect PAW to your Transponder for ADS-B out, you need to find someone else with a PAW to verify it works correctly. I did mine as part of my original PTF, so I'm unsure of the time it takes for an individual application. If you want to see a copy of the my LAA/MOD7 document, send me a PM and I will e-mail it to you.

russp

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2019, 12:36:07 pm »
Thanks for the replies - I'm not connecting the PA into the transponder as I already have adsb-out so that part isn't relevant. I simply want to wire the PA permanently into the electrics and mount two external aerials and an additional GPS mouse (for PA only), only connection to existing avionics will be serial data cable to feed traffic info into my Dynon Skyview. My inspector is ok with it but says it (probably) needs a mod. Keith at PA says it won't. I'll get hold of the LAA next week and ask them.

russp

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2019, 11:55:48 am »
Just for reference and others searching in future I've just spoken to engineering at the LAA and they have confirmed that because the PA doesn't transmit on an aviation frequency no aviation install mod paperwork is required and it can be done as an inspector sign off in the log book. Which keeps things nice and simple.

Keithvinning

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2019, 10:13:13 am »
Yes  we have also agreed a light tough with the BMAA for the Microlight community.

:)