Author Topic: Classic to Rosetta - Complete Upgrade service - cost effective?  (Read 3316 times)

SWP22C

Classic to Rosetta - Complete Upgrade service - cost effective?
« on: February 06, 2019, 04:50:15 pm »
I bought the Classic just over a year ago - and have just renewed our licence - on behalf of a group owned aircraft. Apart from random difficulties in getting it to first link with SkyDemon, running on my iPad mini (I have learnt to not start the engine until I am fully set up) it has performed faultlessly.
Apart from adding, generally, to my awareness of other aircraft in the vicinity, I have personally made a precautionary, but significant, change in height, or direction, as a direct result of a PAW alert, perhaps six times in the last year. Neither I, nor my flying buddy at the time saw the aircraft out of the window every time, but we always saw the the registration and I have no doubt that the warnings were real.
So, I'm a satisfied user and, though there is more competition in the market, I still believe that PAW is the best all round solution, hence my licence renewal. The one negative is, well, the Classic kit does look a bit "Heath Robinson".
Enter Rosetta. Much neater and more professional looking. If I take advantage of the discount, due to when I bought the Classic, it will cost me £138.33 +VAT. About a third off. Thank you PAW.
But, I get an upgraded processor, the Pi 3B, a "tested" (new?) Rosetta Bridge and a new aerial. Plus the box.
Will I see any actual improved performance for my 166 quid - faster identification of other aircraft, or whatever - or is Rosetta mostly about improving looks and robustness? The group only operates one aircraft and the PAW remains Velcroed to the coaming, so we don't need installation flexibility.
I'm a believer, but before I spend more of the group's capital, I'd be grateful for some advice.

SWP22C

Re: Classic to Rosetta - Complete Upgrade service - cost effective?
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2019, 04:54:05 pm »
OK. Since posting this, there have been over 80 views. Thank you all for your interest. No replies, though.
However, being of a positive frame of mind, that's no negative advice, at least.
Given the probable increase in reliability, the more robust container and the better upgrade path in the future to more functionality, I have decided to take the plunge and buy the Classic Upgrade Service.
Except that PAW is currently out of stock!
I'll ask PAW direct when I can expect availability, but I thought that it might help others to know what we have decided, after reviewing the options.

MikeD

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2019, 05:54:22 pm »
Smart move  8) I upgraded a while ago.

PAW gave me the heads-up on this encounter in plenty of time.  :o

neilmurg

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2019, 04:54:35 pm »
It was worth it for me. The unit is more self contained and easy to add internal / external aerials for improved performance. I also invested in 2 low power SDRs (software defined radios) and a 'Y' connector so that it can receive in-flight weather updates

SWP22C

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2019, 06:16:14 pm »
Thanks Neil and Mike. Just waiting on the delivery of parts for my upgrade.

neilmurg

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2019, 10:58:52 am »
you can also take the case off the SDR  (the square black USB dongle that has the pigtail attached) now it's inside the Rosetta case, that'll help it stay cooler