Author Topic: WiFi Dongle Replacement  (Read 7148 times)

Admin

Re: WiFi Dongle Replacement
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2019, 05:48:25 pm »
Thanks ... the problem is that from time to time (several times on some flights) I lose gps signal on a tablet running skydemon linked to PAW.  I was told the wifi dongle was the most likely culprit.  I bought a new one which, not realising the variation of chipsets, didn't work.  I'm now a bit confused about the comment that no wifi dongle is needed with Pi3 as I thought my unit had been upgraded.  I'm checking with my local guru to find out exactly what spec I'm at.  In the meantime any advice welcome. Thanks  :)

ps ..... just discovered that my upgrade was to Pi2 Mode B ...............not Pi3.

Hi AMO,

(RPi3, has integrated WiFi and does not require  USB dongle)

OK, I understand, let me ask the following

1. What power supply do you use
2. Do you use the provided power cable
3. What PilotAware software version are you running 20180520 or 20190621 (shown on Home page)
4. What type of tablet device are you using (I see you use SkyDemon)
5. What 3rd Party connection type from SkyDemon doyou use ?

Thx
Lee

AMO

« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2019, 06:04:51 pm »
The unit was built by a friend in the very early days and I upgraded it to pi2.  If I've understood them correctly .... answers to your Q are as follows:

1. What power supply do you use - an unbranded 12v to USB outlet (1.1 amp I think)
2. Do you use the provided power cable - an unbranded USB cable - nothing was provided - see above
3. What PilotAware software version are you running 20180520 or 20190621 (shown on Home page) - recently changed to 20190621- but same problem occurred with earlier vers
4. What type of tablet device are you using (I see you use SkyDemon) Samsung S2 but same problem occurs with Nexus 7 and motorola mob
5. What 3rd Party connection type from SkyDemon do you use ?  PAW

Obviously not as straightforward as I thought !

Paul_Sengupta

« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2019, 08:35:43 pm »
It might be as straightforward. I've had problems with two of these Wifi dongles now. Latest one's just gone in the bin.  ;D I had a couple more in my drawer and a replacement has made things hunky dorey again.

AMO

« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2019, 08:54:29 pm »
It might be as straightforward. I've had problems with two of these Wifi dongles now. Latest one's just gone in the bin.  ;D I had a couple more in my drawer and a replacement has made things hunky dorey again.

On the ebay link you sent previously, is there any particular one (supplier) that you know is good and what's your advice on aerial versus no aerial.  Thanks

Paul_Sengupta

« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2019, 01:50:53 am »
I'd go for one without the aerial, it'll only get in the way!  ;D

I can't speak for one or the other. They are advertised as RT5370 chipset devices. A friend bought one which looked like the one with the aerial but it had the wrong chipset. There are others which look like the one without the aerial but they have other chipsets such as the 8188 and such, which won't work. Here's one with the 8188 - don't get this one:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mini-Realtek-RTL8188-USB-WiFi-802-11B-G-N-Wireless-Adapter-Network-Dongle-Hot/254224278100

There are some which look correct, but don't say which chipset they have, like the following:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/USB-Wireless-Laptop-Mini-Dongle-802-11n-g-b-WIFI-Network-Adapter-WLAN-150Mbps-Y/401767527051

It may have the correct chipset, it may not. Who knows?  :o

At least if you get one advertising RT5370 then you can get your money back if it turns out it's not the case. Can't recommend any particular suppliers, they seem to come and go and the prices come and go as well.

I ordered a couple of SDR dongles which were advertised as having R820T tuners, which turned out to have E4000 tuners. Ok generally, but no good for 1090MHz ADS-B. They gave my my money back after they asked me if I could use them at all. I replied, "Not for the application I wanted them for, no."

Ian Melville

« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2019, 07:48:06 am »
AMO. In response to your answers

A screenshot of your PAW home page will tell us if there is a power issue.

1. A power supply capable of 1.1A is insufficient. Minimum is 2.1A See this topic http://forum.pilotaware.com/index.php/topic,1285.0.html
2. It is also unlikely that an unbranded USB cable will meet the minimum specification. It must be no longer than 1m and use a conductor no smaller than 20AWG . https://www.juicebitz.co.uk/heavy-duty-braided-fast-micro-usb-charger-cable-for-samsung-galaxy-s5-s6-s7-edge-black-1m-metre.

AMO

« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2019, 09:35:03 pm »
Thanks to all for your various steers.  I do recall checking the status line on the home page and everything was good - ie not power throttling. It's also a bit odd that for a year or two the installation, including power supply/leads, has worked flawlessly - so what's changed? I'll investigate and report back.  Thanks.

Keithvinning

« Reply #22 on: August 14, 2019, 06:20:56 pm »
Change the power supply for an Anker 1000 and the lead for a juicebitz one with 20 AWG thickness

Regards

Keith

AMO

« Reply #23 on: September 06, 2019, 10:42:59 pm »
New Anker USB (cigarette lighter) power adapter fitted and no wifi drop outs on last 2 flights!!  Thanks to all for good advice.