Author Topic: WiFi Dongle Replacement  (Read 7167 times)

Skyranger1963

WiFi Dongle Replacement
« on: February 03, 2019, 07:00:17 pm »
Hello - I need to replace my WiFi dongle on my trusty PAW Classic - could someone tell me what item/spec I should be ordering and from where please.  Better still, a link to the purchase site for such an item would be awesome!  I am non-technical so grateful for simple advice please.  Thank you very much.

A_Vinning33

Re: WiFi Dongle Replacement
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2019, 11:00:01 pm »
Hi SkyRanger1963,

Please PM me your Email Address, and I’ll post a new Wi-fi dongle to you FOC.

Kind regards,

Ashley
« Last Edit: February 03, 2019, 11:03:46 pm by A_Vinning33 »

bnmont

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2019, 01:10:52 pm »
Just a quick question:- I'm guessing that the dongles have a built in battery to enable memory of recent location. Does this fail over time ? as mine seems to take significantly longer to get a location fix now.

regards Brian

Seanhump

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2019, 05:18:08 pm »
Wifi Dongles don't have any battery backup

I assume you're referring to the GPS ..?

They take a note of their location when starting - if the GPS isn't where it's expecting to be after its last start up then it can take longer to get a fix and download the ephemeris /almanac data …

Have a read here … it interesting!! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global_Positioning_System
Pilotaware user ...

bnmont

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2019, 07:17:01 pm »
Thanks for the link Sean.
I'm just trying to figure out why it's taking so long to get a position fix for Skydemon. It always used to be really quick, now taking several minutes, even after being switched off for a short while in the same location.
I have another GPS dongle somewhere, I must find it and see if there's any difference.

Admin

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2019, 08:57:00 pm »
Hi Brian
Haven’t heard of this, but guess it’s possible...
Thx
Lee

JCurtis

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2019, 08:34:42 am »
The GPS dongles do have a small button cell, to enable it to warm start. These are not rechargeable so will die after a while. So when it goes they will cold start every time, so an initial fix will be in the order of a minute or two.

I did comment on this on here many moons ago, it was a discussion about the GPS dongles from memory.
Designer and maker of charge4.harkwood.co.uk, smart universal USB chargers designed for aviation.  USB Type-A and USB-C power without the RF interference. Approved for EASA installs under CS-STAN too.

Skyranger1963

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2019, 12:42:46 pm »
Thanks very much Ashley - PM just sent.

AMO

« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2019, 06:55:11 pm »
Hello - As with Skyranger1963 at the start of this thread, I need to replace my WiFi dongle on a trusty PAW Classic - could someone tell me what item/spec I should be ordering and from where please.  Better still, a link to the purchase site for such an item would be awesome!  I am non-technical so grateful for simple advice please.  Thank you very much.

AMO

« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2019, 09:56:52 am »
Thanks very much.  Is there any advantage in getting one which has an aerial

AMO

« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2019, 10:01:58 am »
BTW, perhaps should have said for completeness that PAW was upgraded a while back to Pi3 .... does this affect anything wifi related?

Ian Melville

« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2019, 01:25:03 pm »
If you upgraded to a Pi3 then you don’t need a WiFi dongle or antenna.

Admin

« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2019, 03:00:15 pm »
If you upgraded to a Pi3 then you don’t need a WiFi dongle or antenna.

To clarify, you still need the 2 antennas for PilotAware & ADS-B
but no WiFi dongle is required.

In which case returning to the original query
Hello - As with Skyranger1963 at the start of this thread, I need to replace my WiFi dongle on a trusty PAW Classic - could someone tell me what item/spec I should be ordering and from where please.  Better still, a link to the purchase site for such an item would be awesome!  I am non-technical so grateful for simple advice please.  Thank you very much.
why do you think you need to replace your Wifi Dongle ?

If you are experiencing some kind of problem, its probably best to describe the problem, then we can suggest a solution ?

thx
Lee

AMO

« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2019, 05:04:01 pm »
Thanks ... the problem is that from time to time (several times on some flights) I lose gps signal on a tablet running skydemon linked to PAW.  I was told the wifi dongle was the most likely culprit.  I bought a new one which, not realising the variation of chipsets, didn't work.  I'm now a bit confused about the comment that no wifi dongle is needed with Pi3 as I thought my unit had been upgraded.  I'm checking with my local guru to find out exactly what spec I'm at.  In the meantime any advice welcome. Thanks  :)

ps ..... just discovered that my upgrade was to Pi2 Mode B ...............not Pi3. 
« Last Edit: August 09, 2019, 05:38:25 pm by AMO »