Author Topic: Problem connecting Pilot Aware to Skyview  (Read 4922 times)

robint8001

Problem connecting Pilot Aware to Skyview
« on: April 24, 2019, 11:52:39 am »
I cannot get Pilot Aware to connect to my twin Dynon Skyviews.
I have connected PA pin 3 tx to the rx on the selected Dynon port. Similarly PA pin 2 RX to TX from Dynon. I have checked continuity pin to pin.
I have tried various settings but I am assuming from other posts that 57,600 baud and using Garmin TIS should be OK.
The Dynon serial port setup page shows RX/TX counters, the RX counter does not register a figure whereas the TX counter does, would this normally show a value if it was working.
It is working on my Ipad so the power and aerials are are good.
Please can anyone suggest what the problem is or what I can do to troubleshoot this.
Regards,
Robin

Admin

Re: Problem connecting Pilot Aware to Skyview
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2019, 12:52:43 pm »
I doubt it is garmin TIS, what are the other options?
Thx
Lee

Ben Smith

• Engineering
  • Glider pilot, electronics engineer and Beekeeper.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2019, 01:56:40 pm »
I know this may sound stupid, but have you also connected the comms ground? full comms requires 3 wires, TX, RX and ground.

exfirepro

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2019, 02:28:10 pm »
Lee,

From memory, didn’t you change the PAW ‘Dynon’ setting to ‘FLARM Out’ ?

Regards

Peter
« Last Edit: April 25, 2019, 09:33:24 am by exfirepro »

Admin

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2019, 03:18:51 pm »
From memory, but didn’t you change the ‘Dynon’ setting to ‘FLARM Out’ ?

Correct, but not sure what the Skyview has to be configured as ?

BobD

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2019, 06:52:19 pm »
Robin,. I have successfully connected PAW to my Skyview by following the guide provided by carlp101, who was the pioneer on this. I originally tried a home made USB to Serial port adapter, but had similar problems to you. From memory, I think you should be seeing traffic on both Rx and Tx. Once I sourced the connection lead recommend by Carl, the problems disappeared. Here is the link to the relevant post

http://forum.pilotaware.com/index.php/topic,819.msg9849.html#msg9849

Hope this helps.
BobD

robint8001

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2019, 09:56:19 pm »
Thank you all for your responses.
I did install it based on the post from carlp101 which was very helpful.
I definitely connected TX, RX, and audio. I am sure I must have connected ground but it was a while ago so I must check that again. Carl thought he used Garmin TIS but wasn't, sure. The Dynon installation manual suggests that, but I will try ‘ Flarm out’ as well.
I will recheck every part of the installation perhaps also try a different port on the SV.
Robin

russp

« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2019, 07:59:47 pm »
I did mine a couple of weeks ago (single HDX screen) - you need to set the Skyview as Flarm in and the PAW as Flarm out - you need to get the correct usb port on the PAW and the correct serial port on the Skyview. If you're using a common ground (ie running your PA off the plane power supply) you don't need a ground connected - I suspect that if you're using a separate power supply (power bank) then you might need a ground connected.

robint8001

« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2019, 10:57:45 pm »
Thank you Russ, that is good information.

Paul_Sengupta

« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2019, 01:49:52 am »
It won't be Garmin TIS, that's the GDL-39 protocol, completely different to the Flarm protocol which the PAW uses.

russp

« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2019, 08:54:51 am »
Thank you Russ, that is good information.

No problem - I've been meaning to add the connection into the skyview to my write up on my permanent install (https://spark.adobe.com/page/uOYLxiidmmgUz/) - will get round to it at some point. It's actually fairly simple if you get the right connections and can extract the Skyview serial wires from the wiring loom.