Author Topic: Dedicated screen interface  (Read 6116 times)

rogellis

• welcome to the PilotAware forum
    • View Profile
Dedicated screen interface
« on: January 03, 2019, 07:22:34 pm »
Has anyone ever replaced the wifi USB, and run the USB output straight into a screen?  Would that even be possible?

We are looking at ways of simplifying the device for pilots, many of who are put off by the complexities of connecting via wifi.   It would be nice to have a screen, powered by the USB, that automatically connects and displays the radar screen - reducing power-up to an on-off switch.

Would that take a lot of work, to achieve that?

Thanks,
R

Deker

Re: Dedicated screen interface
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2019, 08:49:44 pm »
Sort of like this?
https://aircrew.co.uk/

It's in development at the moment.

Deker.

Keithvinning

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2019, 09:51:47 am »
And very good it is too. Has Pilotaware endorsement and support.

James Rose

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2019, 05:35:50 pm »
Aircrew will be available to buy through PilotAware shop, and an announcement will be made when available.

There will be some more information available on the Aircrew website next week including a video of device in action.

rogellis

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2019, 05:45:00 pm »
Sort of like this?
https://aircrew.co.uk
Deker.

That looks very smart.  Nice idea.   I presume this will have a lead direct from the PAW unit, with no wifi required.    Just switch on, and use.

Might I suggest (for glider purposes) that the PAW-display also has the compass-rose around the exterior, to double-up the functions.  You might also do the same on the attitude indicator display.  For a PAW-detected aircraft in the two o’clock-high position, you could display a diamond to the right of center, and above the horizon.

I am thinking from the glider perspective here, where electrical power and instrument space is very limited, and an ‘all in one’ instrument might be a nice idea.   Obviously most power aircraft could accomodate two or more of your instruments.

Again from the glider perspective, the PAW unit needs a speaker system.   I fitted an amp-and-speaker to our glider units, but it was all a bit heath-robinson (I am not an electronics engineer).  A Glider-PAW version could do with a dedicated ‘board’ or dongle attached to the PAW unit, with all additional functions on it  -  a 5v DC converter, amp, ground-loop isolator, and speaker.  I also put everything in an electronics box, a bit like the Rosetta, because things get banged around in gliders. 

Cheers,
R

rogellis

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2019, 06:39:21 pm »
Sort of like this?
https://aircrew.co.uk/

Just thinking aloud.....

Your single ADI-type instrument has all functions on it, so could be the only instrument required - much as on commercial aircraft.  Although, would it need to be bigger?  Not seen it in the flesh, and cannot imagine all those functions on an 80mm dial.  But I imagine a slightly larger display is an easy modification.

And below this (as in commercial tradition) would be all the navigation functions  - a small map display with a PAW aircraft overlay.

Or, we could have a standard-T, with three or four of your 80mm dials.  Wth a PAW overlay on the compass rose.    Just thinking.  (Many traditionalist around, that might appreciate the same old display, but in electronic fashion.).    ( n.b.  There are many 40-year old airspeed indicators and altimeters around, and your unit would be cheaper than buying a new mechanical instrument.)

But what would the power-draw be, of the 80mm multi-function attitude display?  At present, we only use single 12v 8 ah batteries.  And that has to drive the vario too.     (The other battery runs the PAW unit, which is quite power-hungry.)  We could go lithium to increase power, but the gliding world is not wholly convinced about lithium at present, unless you have a manufacturer and battery-unit you would highly recommend.

R

PaulSS

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2019, 03:32:39 am »
Again from the glider perspective, the PAW unit needs a speaker system.

With the advent of PAW Bluetooth audio from Rosetta/Pi3 you could have a BT speaker. Could make the setup a lot simpler  :)

stodge

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2019, 09:13:53 am »
This looks fantastic! Much better than using my iPhone velcroed to the panel to get PAW radar. Plus I like the idea of a second AI as a back up to our G5 for the just-in-case moment.

Any idea when this will be out, available and PAW compatible?

Stodge

James Rose

« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2019, 05:07:50 pm »
Any idea when this will be out, available and PAW compatible?

An official announcement will be made in next few weeks about release date so stay tuned and will have full PilotAware Classic/Rosetta support either over WiFi or wired right from the get go. Any new PilotAware features such as ModeS-3D will be added with software updates.

I presume this will have a lead direct from the PAW unit, with no wifi required. Just switch on, and use.

You can plug directly into the USB of the PAW unit to get both traffic and power if you don't want to use WiFi.

But what would the power-draw be, of the 80mm multi-function attitude display? 

When screen is on full brightness and using WiFi the device draws 300mA at 5V

Might I suggest (for glider purposes) that the PAW-display also has the compass-rose around the exterior,

There will be an option in the traffic screen settings to show the compass-rose and either to use the GPS track of the PAW or the magnetic heading of the Aircrew.

rogellis

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2019, 01:36:35 pm »

An official announcement will be made in next few weeks about release date so stay tuned and will have full PilotAware Classic/Rosetta support either over WiFi or wired right from the get go. Any new PilotAware features such as ModeS-3D will be added with software updates.

Nice.  Wish you all the best - it is what the doctor ordered.

One thing with your PAW presentation  -  you will need a fail flag, for when data is not received for a certain amount of time (5 seconds..?)

This is one failing with the present PAW set up.  The 'radar' screen can go blank with no contacts.  Now that may mean no aircraft in your vicinity  -  but it may also be due to a wifi disconnect, and there are still ten aircraft in your vicinity...

Cheers,
R

Admin

« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2019, 04:04:58 pm »
This is one failing with the present PAW set up.  The 'radar' screen can go blank with no contacts.  Now that may mean no aircraft in your vicinity  -  but it may also be due to a wifi disconnect, and there are still ten aircraft in your vicinity...

Roger, you should get the following when there is no data received.

Thx
Lee

rogellis

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2019, 12:22:56 pm »
>>Roger, you should get the following when there is no data received.

Thanks Lee,

But not if your iPhone can revert to another signal.
If your iPhone can grab another wifi signal (of any type), it does not appear to put up a message.
I just ended up with a blank screen.

R

rogellis

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2019, 07:55:56 pm »

Oh, and the 'radar' page also does not show missing GPS or ADS-B signals, which will again delete contacts.   
You will get a red warning on the Home page, but that is not repeated on the 'radar' page.
Every aircraft instrument should have a red 'error' flag if something is not working.

R

jcross

« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2019, 05:44:46 pm »
I kept forgetting to document my own project because it has been so slow progress.  I went and had two kids since I started the project.

https://www.jcross.co.uk/projects/?p=102

I basically made a custom screen for the Pilotaware unit and then built the Pilotaware unit into it. This involved a bit of hacking around to get a nice clear display.

« Last Edit: May 05, 2019, 05:55:40 pm by jcross »