Author Topic: PAW track log understanding  (Read 9059 times)

RobertPBham

PAW track log understanding
« on: December 21, 2018, 07:21:13 pm »
Hi all,

Just a quick one - I know I've seen this somewhere before but cannot now find it!

What do all the messages in the track log file indicate - e.g. $PFLAA, $PAWRT, $PGRMZ, $GPGGA etc.

The reason I'm asking is I've been trying new RAM mounts for PAW and positions and don't think I saw any Mode C/S targets today - understandable as the weather was atrocious and I must have been one of the mad few flying.

Anyway, I'm just trying to ascertain is the positioning is good/correct but cannot work out, what is ADSB, Mode C/S etc.

Thanks
Rob

Ian Melville

Re: PAW track log understanding
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2018, 06:55:35 am »
Hi Rob
$PFLAA is a FLARM standard and can be found in a document called "FLARM Data Port Specification". we cannot link to this document, but a Google search will find it.
$GPGGA is an NMEA standard sentence http://aprs.gids.nl/nmea/
$PGRMZ  is a Garmin proprietary sentence. Not sure if this is published?
$PAWRT is PAW Diagnostics and provides tagged information to better understand the FLARM messages
for example
Code: [Select]
$PAWRT,4B19D1,1,1,1,1,0,0,*4BThis says the ICAO/Code 4B19D1 is transmitting 1,1,1,1,0,0
Mode-A, Mode-C, Mode-S, Mode-S/ES, PilotAware, Flarm

Admin

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2018, 08:23:36 am »
Hi Rob
Please take a look at the traffic page to see what is received
This is documented in the full operating instructions

Thx
Lee

RobertPBham

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2018, 01:08:14 pm »
Thanks Ian - I’ll have a look!

Hi Lee,

I understand the details are on the traffic page, however, checking that while running SkyDemon, in cloud on an RNAV approach in to Cranfield is easier said than done! :-) I heard a few radio calls for traffic around Cranfield and suspect they would have been Mode S, but didn’t receive any notification - they weren’t close, but ahead, from the calls and I just wanted to check that PAW had received the signal even though they may have been filtered by my settings (not close enough or at a concerning height).

As I’ve repositioned the PAW on a window RAM mount in the rear, I just wanted to be ‘more’ certain it is in a good place and hence checking the track log would show the planes detected even if not alerted!

Thanks
Rob
« Last Edit: December 22, 2018, 01:14:14 pm by RobertPBham »

Admin

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2018, 04:15:21 pm »
Hi Rob

for Mode-S and Mode-C, the trk file will ONLY contain those targets for which a notification is provided, visual or audio. So this is post filtering, the traffic screen is pre-filtering.

actually if you know the ICAO code, that will be recorded in the trk file irrespective of whether a warning is generated, the PAWRT sentences provide a registry of all aircraft seen.

thx
Lee

RobertPBham

« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2018, 04:56:42 pm »
Thanks Lee - I’ll have a proper look through the log!

Positiv

« Last Edit: December 24, 2018, 03:28:44 pm by Positiv »

neilmurg

« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2019, 10:00:51 pm »
Hi Rob
$PFLAA is a FLARM standard and can be found in a document called "FLARM Data Port Specification". we cannot link to this document, but a Google search will find it.
$GPGGA is an NMEA standard sentence http://aprs.gids.nl/nmea/
$PGRMZ  is a Garmin proprietary sentence. Not sure if this is published?
$PAWRT is PAW Diagnostics and provides tagged information to better understand the FLARM messages
for example
Code: [Select]
$PAWRT,4B19D1,1,1,1,1,0,0,*4BThis says the ICAO/Code 4B19D1 is transmitting 1,1,1,1,0,0
Mode-A, Mode-C, Mode-S, Mode-S/ES, PilotAware, Flarm
Is there an update for the $PAWRT message?
It now seems to be a $PALOG as per:
$PALOG,20190623,171428,PAWRT,A19155,1,A,1,C,1,S,0,ES,0,P,0,F,0,U,0,M,01,valid,02,vers,03,nacp,01,nica,00,sil,00,sils,*02
I take it that this reads: date, time, paw diag, a/c hex, yes, ModeA, yes, ModeC, yes, ModeS, no, ModeSES, no, PAw, no, FLARM, no, ?, no, (big dunno{NACp and uncertainty stuff})

[edit] update:
date, time, paw diag, a/c hex,{yes, ModeA}, {yes, ModeC}, {yes, ModeS}, {no, ADSB}, {no, PAw}, {no, FLARM}, {no, Uplink}, {no, MLAT}, {NACp and uncertainty stuff})
-- after reading the Lee's reply below VVVV
[/edit]
« Last Edit: July 09, 2019, 11:55:19 am by neilmurg »

Admin

« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2019, 07:22:24 am »
U indicates Uplink from an OGNR rather than direct
Thx
Ler

SGS66

« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2019, 11:07:59 am »

Using Aircrew analyser and PAW with the latest software.
I could ask a number of questions but here is the first one.

Considering my flight into Lee on Solent yesterday I note using Aircrew an aircraft well ahead of me to land with P U M codes, ie no C no S codes - how does U and M come about ??? (SkyDemon also displayed it whilst I was flying but I did not bother to look closely at the Ipad as the Pilot of the said aircraft was giving good and timely position reports). Presumably it's a problem with Aircrew ? It certainly looked like U data being used as the profile was not smooth like an aircraft with a P designation.

neilmurg

« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2019, 11:45:32 am »
It would be great if there was a tool to analyse .trk files to give totals of:
PAw, ADSB, Mode S MLAT, FLARM, Mode S, Mode C 'seen' on a flight.

Which we could then share
I had a look after downloading some .trk's to a spreadsheet. I got a bit lost and my macro / programming skills have atrophied. I may try again.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2019, 11:48:30 am by neilmurg »

Admin

« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2019, 12:15:04 pm »
It would be great if there was a tool to analyse .trk files to give totals of:
PAw, ADSB, Mode S MLAT, FLARM, Mode S, Mode C 'seen' on a flight.

Which we could then share
I had a look after downloading some .trk's to a spreadsheet. I got a bit lost and my macro / programming skills have atrophied. I may try again.

Hi Neil
The track file does not contain "Mode S, Mode C 'seen' on a flight.", it only contains those which generated a warning to the navigation device
The numbers for seen are pretty big for Mode-S, and non-sensical for Mode-C, because they cannot be attributed to an aircraft

Thx
Lee

neilmurg

« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2019, 12:39:37 pm »
That's what I'd be looking for Lee, ones inside my reporting envelope, 2000ft and 5km

Admin

« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2019, 01:46:23 pm »
That's what I'd be looking for Lee, ones inside my reporting envelope, 2000ft and 5km

Ah OK, I understood you were asking 'seen' as my notion of 'detected', whereas I think what you are seeing is - 'seen' is judged as a 'threat', is that correct ?

Thx
Lee

neilmurg

« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2019, 03:18:58 pm »
Ah OK, I understood you were asking 'seen' as my notion of 'detected', whereas I think what you are seeing is - 'seen' is judged as a 'threat', is that correct ?
Correct. Then I have an idea of the proportion of reportable/threat aircraft in each category. ADSB/FLARM/MLAT/ ModeC-S