Author Topic: Problem with Android connection  (Read 4284 times)

rogellis

• welcome to the PilotAware forum
    • View Profile
Problem with Android connection
« on: December 08, 2018, 02:57:23 pm »
We have just got all the club aircraft fitted with PAWs, but have noticed a problem with two Android devices not connecting.   But an iPad connected with no problem. 

All devices say ‘no internet connection’, but I know that is normal - it does not stop the iPad from working.   But when going to the browser (Chrome) the Android says ‘no internet connection’, while the iPad connects without a problem.

I note one other question like this, from June.  Was this problem ever resolved?

Roger

Admin

Re: Problem with Android connection
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2018, 03:44:31 pm »
Hi Roger
Can you give more info on the android devices ?
Make, os, 3g or wifi only ?

What addresses is being input

Thx
Lee

AlanG

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2018, 11:09:27 am »
Hi Roger

I've had this with one device and I googled it and got an answer to the effect that you need to start to create another user account and then when its gets to a certain point back out of it but for the life of me I cant remember the exact sequence.  Sorry i don't have time to search for it again just now but you could try it.  If all else fails I'll have look later.

Alan

FlorinM

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2018, 02:22:30 pm »
Hi

It is HTC one -11 and a Samsung Galaxy S2 tablet.
both were not able to see the internet .
connected , no internet .
we use the address 1192.168.1.1
we couldnt get to the connect page .

Florin

Ian Melville

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2018, 03:55:02 pm »
Florin, PAW cannot provide Internet through 192.168.1.1. It is not a router and does not have it's own internet access.

I suspect the iPad that worked also has a 3G or 4G SIM card. Lee has asked if the Android devices have 3G as this will be the only way they can access the Internet. IIRC there is an issue with Android devices that do have 3G but still cannot see the Internet. We need to confirm that this is the actual issue before we can offer advice.

FlorinM

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2018, 04:41:05 pm »
Tablet has no Sim Card but the HTC has 4G card.

AlanG

« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2018, 08:35:40 pm »
Hi all

I could be wrong but i think the problem Roger was having with the Android devises in question is that they will not log on to the PilotAware hotspot because the tablet detects that there is no internet connection. It often puts an exclamation mark at the end of the address in the wifi list of available networks.  This was the solution that I found and worked for me.

Solution 1 (does not require root):
1. Reboot phone and wait until Wifi is connected
2. Go to Settings and create a new user
3. Continue with user setup until you see "checking connection"
4. As soon as you see "checking connection", switch off your phone
5. Switch on your phone again
6. Toggle Wifi, and the exclamation mark should disappear quickly
7. You may optionally remove the new user you just created

This worked on my Nexus 2013 which refused to allow me to connect to the PAW hotspot because it detected that there was no internet associated with it.

Regards
Alan