Author Topic: Using Pilot Aware with Sky Demon on a Windows tablet while flying?  (Read 2221 times)

TLRippon

I was wondering if anyone is using a Windows PC setup while flying.

I have a convertible laptop which becomes a tablet. It runs Windows 10 and i'd like to use it with my Rosetta displaying traffic on Skydemon in the air. I have had a couple of very frustrating days trying to get it to work without much success.
Here's where I am:

First off, unless SkyDemon has an internet connection at the point it starts, it hangs while it's trying to download weather updates but it needs to be connected to the Pilot Aware so you can't put it in Offline until its started and connected to the internet (Via an Iphone with a Hotspot) to do it's startup downloads. Then you have to disconnect and Wifi to the Pilot Aware and put it into Offline Mode on SD at which point if for some reason it looses the connection and stops it needs to be online again. I can get into the Config though and see the radar screen on the pilot aware intranet.

I found that the SkyDemon "Connect to Pilot Aware" in the "Go Flying" menu does nothing.

I found an old post on this forum from someone else having similar issues in the days before PAW was supported in SD and the answer was to set it up as a Flarm with the appropriate IP and 6000 in the setup. I did this and indeed it does work and I can get into PAW and see the radar screen and when I connects to SD it works for about five minutes, gets a position and shows traffic. Then just stops, at which point SD hangs and you have to close SD and restart. PAW now won't reconnect but will connect to other devices such as my Iphone immediately.

Clearly this makes it impossible to use in the air. Does anyone have any thoughts or experience with a PC tablet?

With the increasing number of Microsoft Surface tablets being sold and the HP 360 ranges selling more, I expect I'm not the only one experiencing this.

Ian Melville

Re: Using Pilot Aware with Sky Demon on a Windows tablet while flying?
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2018, 07:57:34 pm »
Since you cannot connect to two WiFi hot spots at the same time, you are onto a loser here. Has your Win10 tablet got 4G LTE? The top end Microsoft Surface Go has.

Personally I would find even the Surface Go too big for a cockpit.

I found that the SkyDemon "Connect to Pilot Aware" in the "Go Flying" menu does nothing.
Wasn't even aware that you could do this with the desktop version. I thought it had to connect to a serial port for GPS

TLRippon

Re: Using Pilot Aware with Sky Demon on a Windows tablet while flying?
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2018, 09:14:28 pm »
I’ve got a fairly big cockpit. It seems to work for size it’s 13” in tablet mode. I don’t mind a cable connection but I managed to get it connected and working via wireless for a good five mins. I managed to taxy to the hold do power checks before it bugged out. So there must be a connection and a path to making this work?
It doesn’t have 4g LTE it may need a dongle although most of the mobile solutions use a wireless mobile hub these days.