Author Topic: Drop outs on bumpy runways  (Read 3828 times)

TLRippon

Drop outs on bumpy runways
« on: November 23, 2018, 08:35:36 am »
I have a Rosetta which works fine most of the time. Whenever I take the grass runway option it seems to drop out and takes an age to go through the restart process. I can see all the lights through the casing so it isn't a power issue. I assume the only difference is the amount of bumping the grass surface provides. The unit is mounted on a suction mount on the windscreen. It has a flexible springy support which absorbs most of the shocks.

Any thoughts on why this is happening and any solutions?

Ancien

Re: Drop outs on bumpy runways
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2018, 09:41:08 am »
Hi TL
I have had my PAW rigidly mounted for a couple of years ["Velcro" 10 AN bolts!]. I operate from far from smooth grass and I have never had a dropout.
I would suggest the most likely cause are the power connections being loose. A momentary loss will upset it. Could you try a different cable/socket/power supply?
The micro USB on the Raspberry Pi is probably the weakest link.
Good Luck.

Seanhump

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2018, 12:02:05 pm »
Ditto to the above …

Make sure both ends of the power cable (Micro and normal USB) are snug …

I have several mounts depending on the aircraft in use (all Helicopters) and they do move around (some of the egg beaters are not the smoothest on start up / shutdown..) Even the sucker mounts stay put, but I do check the power connections now and then to ensure that they're all tight...

Cheers
Pilotaware user ...

exfirepro

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2018, 05:40:59 am »
Hi TL,

I echo the above comments. Even a brief power interruption will cause the unit to shut down and restart.

I fly into / from a variety of strips and have never personally suffered from this type of dropout, but have come across this a couple of times and had to replace a board for another PAW user who was suffering a similar issue with a 2-year old ‘PAW Classic’. The most likely culprit is a loose connection at the microUSB socket at the Rosetta end of the power lead. Unfortunately it isn’t as easy to check the power light on Rosetta as it was in the ‘Classic’ as it is inside the case under the P3i antenna connection (the right hand one looking at the antenna end with the power socket next to it).

The red Power LED at this corner of the main board should be permanently on (solid red) when the unit is powered - as opposed to the other Bridge and status LEDs, most of which normally flash.

Although you can’t see the LED directly, you should be able to see the light from it through the case slots next to the power socket and can check for a poor connection by gently wiggling the cable. If it is a loose connection, the first option is to try another power lead *

If this doesn’t cure the problem, the socket can be gently tightened with a pair of needle-nosed pliers, but be very careful - if you damage the socket, replacing the board is the only realistic option for a permanent repair, though I have had success on another unit by gently tightening the socket then supporting the joint by carefully adding glue from a hot glue gun around the connection to hold the cable in position and prevent further movement once a reliable connection has been re-established.

* Remember any permanent replacement cable must meet the minimum 20awg spec of the original cable. A lower quality cable can be tried to test the connection, but may introduce voltage drop issues if used permanently.

Let us know how it goes.

Best Regards

Peter
« Last Edit: November 24, 2018, 05:50:33 am by exfirepro »

TLRippon

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2018, 04:01:22 am »
Thanks for the advice everyone, it’s a little disappointing to hear that this can happen in a new unit using the supplied power cable. However I’ll tighten the connection and see what happens. Thanks again.

JCurtis

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2018, 09:50:33 am »
I’ve often used some blue-tac around a connector as a quick check of an iffy joint. Doesn’t damage anything and is a quick test. Just need a decent blob around half the connector pushed well into the gaps for a firm fit.

Don’t use it for anything permanent as it will get very fluffy, and it’s useless for anything other than checking the joint.
Designer and maker of charge4.harkwood.co.uk, smart universal USB chargers designed for aviation.  USB Type-A and USB-C power without the RF interference. Approved for EASA installs under CS-STAN too.

exfirepro

« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2018, 10:01:50 am »
Hi TL,

It’s not normally a problem with ‘new’ units. If the cable fit is loose in yours, I suggest getting in touch with Support (e-mail support@pilotaware.com) and they can send you a replacement cable to see if that cures the problem. I wasn’t suggesting that everyone starts gluing their cables in - just that it did work for me as a fix in an older PAW Classic, which saved the owner the cost and hassle of replacing the main Raspberry Pi board.

The few units I have experienced personally where the microUSB socket has become distorted, have been older units where the power cable was fairly regularly removed and reinserted - especially where access to the socket was ‘difficult’ or where the cable was subject to a degree of sideways loading. The damage can of course be contributed to by ‘rough usage’ especially when trying to insert the connector in such a situation (I’m NOT accusing you of this), which is of concern in a unit designed by Raspberry Pi to be used by ‘amateurs’ - including children, and sold in their millions - though this in fact makes the failure rate in PAWs very low indeed, though it is still a pain when it occurs.

Hope this helps clarify the situation.

Best Regards

Peter

TLRippon

« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2018, 12:24:17 pm »
I see what you are saying, however it is about three months old and hasn't been removed from the socket since it was placed in the aircraft the other end is attached to the aircraft via an installed USB at 2.4 amps. Perhaps I have something faulty after all.

Mig29fuk

• G-MYUP. White Ox Mead Airstrip. Near Bath
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2018, 06:24:27 pm »
I adopted PAW a while back but always suffered with 'drop out'. A lot was fixed with Software, especially WiFi protocol.
I still couldn't rely on solid PAW connection so adopted a rebuild of Case and connections.
The Unit is Tie wrapped to my old Aircrafts basic frame and most connections are via screwed PL/SK and USB power is braced by tie wrap on frame.
It is 100% solid now. I operate an old vibrating Continental engine, aircraft with open taildragger cockpit and on grass.
Power is supplied via Charge2 USB Power Box from LifePO4 7 Amp Hour. Have no electrical system for recharging.
Anyway the lesson is good power and security of connections.
Regards
Gerry
G-MYUP
White Ox Mead Airstrip
Bath. England

A_Vinning33

« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2018, 10:34:31 pm »
Hello TLRippon,

I’m sorry to hear about the issues you’re experiencing. I’ve been following this thread since it started, and I’m fairly sure that this problem is due to the MicroUSB socket. Although they are rated for ~10,000 cycles, that doesn’t necessarily apply when in the extreme environment of an aircraft. 

If you are interested, send your unit back to me and I’ll run it though our testing process again. If the test comes out negative, we’ll soon find out and plan out a fix the Rosetta accordingly. PM if you’re interested, and I’ll send you the shipping address.

Best Regards,

Ash.