Author Topic: PAW on a yoke mount  (Read 3652 times)

RobertPBham

PAW on a yoke mount
« on: September 30, 2018, 09:47:04 pm »
Hi all,

I'm looking at attempting to tidy the installation of the Rosetta as I fly in 'share' planes so have no fixed installation option. I usually try and mount the PAW Rosetta via a suction mount to the rear windows, but when you are 4 up, this is virtually impossible as the passengers have a poor view.

My thinking was to extend my RAM mount configuration to include a three ball connector - one would be used for the tablet for SkyDemon and the other could be used to mount the Rosetta on the yoke - this RAM mount would be positioned on the passenger yoke and I'd hopefully have the antenna's just above the 'dash' in this configuration. I'm guessing there are many downsides to this setup as I can imagine banking and climbing/descending would always be changing the antenna positions far more drastically than a window mount as such.

Any thoughts on the idea above or ideas of a better mount option?

Thanks
Rob

Paul_Sengupta

Re: PAW on a yoke mount
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2018, 11:54:17 pm »
If they are shares rather than rental, what about the group getting a PilotAware for each aircraft rather than per person? They could buy yours off you...  :D

exfirepro

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2018, 08:15:48 am »
Robert,

What aircraft?

I’m not keen on ‘vertical fits’ as they place the gps antenna in the wrong orientation. My first thought in your situation would normally be a simple placement on the aircraft coaming. This can usually be achieved fairly simply with the antennas towards the rear to allow for the rake of the windscreen, which also places the gps right at the front. Just make sure the unit is ‘right way up’.

For a ‘regular aircraft’ fit I would seek approval to fit a small Velcro pad to hold the unit steady, though you might need to be more inventive - e.g. with some sort of suction mount.

Let us know what you decide to go for.

Regards

Peter

AlanG

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2018, 03:23:13 pm »
Hi Robert
If velcro is not an option the rubber anti-slip matting you get for car dashboards is also quite effective at keeping it still providing you're not planning any aero's.  ;D
During some ground mobile testing yesterday I had mine sitting like this in the car dash  on a drive from Edinburgh around the Scottish boarders and back.  It it was positioned as Peter described and never moved whilst cornering or under acceleration or deceleration.

Alan

RobertPBham

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2018, 12:33:33 am »
Thanks for all of the replies - it’s a PA28 - I’ve always had the PAW sat on the coating but feel it does block some of the view - I love EC but worry I’ll miss something out in the open.

Anyway, I’ve taken the plunge (it’s only money....) and bought a three mount RAM extension (£47... horrified), RAM arm and mount for the Rosetta.

The plan is to have the tablet (iPad mini 2) and Rosetta mounted on the passenger yoke - this giving the passenger and I visibility of SkyDemon and traffic and full window visibility. I might find the £86 I spent on RAM bits is a waste, but it’s worth a try!

Just out of intersect, what is the concern with the GPS? If none of it works, I’ll be back to the coaming setup and proud owner of lots of expensive metal pieces! :-)

Thanks
Rob
« Last Edit: October 12, 2018, 12:35:19 am by RobertPBham »

exfirepro

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2018, 09:31:04 am »
Thanks for all of the replies - it’s a PA28 - I’ve always had the PAW sat on the coating but feel it does block some of the view - I love EC but worry I’ll miss something out in the open.

Anyway, I’ve taken the plunge (it’s only money....) and bought a three mount RAM extension (£47... horrified), RAM arm and mount for the Rosetta.

Just out of intersect, what is the concern with the GPS? If none of it works, I’ll be back to the coaming setup and proud owner of lots of expensive metal pieces! :-)

Thanks
Rob

Hi Rob,

Yes, the RAM stuff certainly isn’t cheap, but IMO it is certainly the best!

My only ‘concern’ is simply to ensure good visibility of satellites, establish a solid gps fix and thereby ensure no position dropouts (which of course also affect traffic reporting and own navigation). I know quite a few people who run their PAW Classics /Rosettas in vertical orientation in various aircraft without any issues, but every departure from the ‘ideal’ (i.e. with gps antenna horizontal, other antennas vertical and all ‘out in the open’ with the optimal view of the sky through 360 degrees around you) ‘could’ potentially reduce coverage and system effectiveness, that’s all.

I’m not ‘scaremongering’ by the way, and your setup may well work great - as with everything in flying, you just need to be aware of the potential limitations, and assess them.

Please let us know how you get on. It all adds to the communal information store.

Best Regards

Peter

RobertPBham

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2018, 01:50:11 pm »
Hi Peter,

That all makes perfect sense!

I'll definitely let you know how I get on and if I encounter any issues with the setup. My main concern is the amount of weight on one yoke - RAM mount extensions galore, iPad and PAW.

Being club aircraft, I was trying to achieve two things - easy installation with minimal cables and boxes affecting visibility and passenger comfort and for the 'co-pilot' along with myself to be able to monitor routing and potential traffic. We'll see how well it works!

Thanks
Rob

Keithvinning

« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2018, 02:00:17 pm »
Hi Rob
You are at Wellesbourne?
Drop me a PM I have a couple of different ones that you could try.
You will have to come and pick them up from SoA as I am confined to barracks after my spine op.

Cheers

Keith

RobertPBham

« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2018, 10:17:28 pm »
Hi Keith,

That's really kind - thank you! I hope you are recovering well from the operation!

The planes I fly are now located at Coventry, but I work in SoA from time to time, so really easy for me to organise. I'm going to the airfield either this weekend or next to try out the current configuration - if it doesn't work as expected, I will take you up on your kind offer!

Either way, I'll try and remember to get some pictures to post as it may be useful for some people in the future who want a similar setup.

Thanks once again.
Rob