Author Topic: Network settings  (Read 6960 times)

exfirepro

Re: Network settings
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2018, 07:17:52 pm »
Hi Trevor,

Nothing obvious from the Home Page shot, though the number of satellites (4) is ‘borderline’. It would only take one to drop out and GPS position could get shaky to say the least.

The ‘Power Throttling’ Lee was referring to is reported at the extreme RHSide of the ‘Uptime’ Row -In your case, Throttled=0 x 0 indicates ‘no power issues’ reported.

The other potential issue is running 20180520 on an old Raspbian Kernel - which can occur if Updates have been carried out to an ‘older’ unit via USB stick only - though your Kernel is pretty up to date.

I notice in an earlier post you say you are running EasyVFR with ‘Use FLARM GPS as EasyVFR GPS’ set to ‘OFF’. This means that EasyVFR has to use the internal Nexus GPS, which could be the issue. Have you tried ‘Use FLARM GPS as EasyVFR GPS’ set to ‘ON’, which then forces EasyVFR to take both positional and traffic data from PilotAware. Worth a try.

Regards

Peter

Smaragd

« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2018, 10:11:29 pm »
Thank you Peter. The screenshot was taken from a run this evening indoors, so not surprising that the number of satellites is low.

I'll try running EasyVFR GPS from the PAW. One thought though; if WiFi communication with the PAW is lost, does that mean EasyVFR is without GPS or does it default to the Nexus GPS?

exfirepro

« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2018, 08:52:42 am »
I think you would need to manually reselect the ‘Use FLARM GPS’ to ‘Off’ to get EasyVFR to revert to the tablet GPS, so you might be best testing over familiar territory just in case. Worth trying though!

Regards

Peter

p.s. just noticed the question hasn’t been asked - Is this a 2013 version Nexus 7? We did have a run of connectivity issues with older 2012 Nexus 7s, but these were sorted a while back. If you want to read about them search ‘Nexus 2012’ from the Forum Home Page and let us know if any of it seems relevant (though probably unlikely as yours was running well until recently).

p.p.s. What if anything changed?
« Last Edit: October 06, 2018, 09:00:25 am by exfirepro »

Smaragd

« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2018, 04:06:48 pm »
I think you would need to manually reselect the ‘Use FLARM GPS’ to ‘Off’ to get EasyVFR to revert to the tablet GPS, so you might be best testing over familiar territory just in case. Worth trying though!

Regards

Peter

p.s. just noticed the question hasn’t been asked - Is this a 2013 version Nexus 7? We did have a run of connectivity issues with older 2012 Nexus 7s, but these were sorted a while back. If you want to read about them search ‘Nexus 2012’ from the Forum Home Page and let us know if any of it seems relevant (though probably unlikely as yours was running well until recently).

p.p.s. What if anything changed?

Peter, thanks again. In response to your points/queries, in order:

Yes, tried it, it's necessary to manually reselect "Use FLARM GPS" to off.

Nexus purchased in 2014, and has communicated satisfactorily with PAW (until recently), so probably not a 2012 one. I did change WiFi mode from G to B at Lee's suggestion the other day (and because that's what the PAW Operating Instructions say, in spite of your  Jan 1 2018 message), but I've just changed it back to G.

What if anything changed? As explained in my original post, after many months of perfect operation I was getting dropouts of communication between PAW and Nexus, which were becoming more frequent and more difficult to reconnect. The PAW continued to give normal audio messages. At first i though it was working perfectly at home (and thought there might be some interference problem in the aircraft environment), but as dropouts grew worse I was getting them at home as well.  So I have replaced the wifi dongle. Over 3 hours today at home, I had 2 dropouts of about 15 sec, with automatic reconnection; I haven't had chance to try it in the aircraft yet.

Regards,

Trevor

Smaragd

« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2018, 09:24:52 pm »
Flew for 2 hours today, back to the normal perfect behaviour from PAW; assume it was a faulty wifi dongle.