Author Topic: Cannot Connect to WiFi  (Read 5553 times)

Jerry Palmer

Cannot Connect to WiFi
« on: August 27, 2018, 10:27:40 pm »
Hello ... firstly, a great product, thank you.

I have the latest software, renewed licence, the recommended Anker power supply with supplied USB cable, and read all associated posts, but am still unable to connect to WiFi.  The option to connect is available after boot up on iPad, but when selected fails to properly connect.  I have removed all dongles, re-fitted and powered up but the result is the same, no connection.
I would be grateful for any ideas.
Thank you.
Jerry

Admin

Re: Cannot Connect to WiFi
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2018, 07:38:10 am »
Hi Jerry
Can I confirm what you are seeing

Do you get a message
“Unable to connect to network”

Or an icon saying
“No internet connection”

A screenshot of the error would be helpful

Thx
Lee

Jerry Palmer

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2018, 09:42:28 am »
Hi Lee

Thank you very much for taking the trouble to reply.
Unfortunately, I cannot provide a screen shot, as I am away from the equipment.
The error message is 'No Internet Connection' in amber, and an exclamation mark thro' the wifi symbol to the far right of the field.

Jerry

Admin

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2018, 09:51:16 am »
Hi Lee

Thank you very much for taking the trouble to reply.
Unfortunately, I cannot provide a screen shot, as I am away from the equipment.
The error message is 'No Internet Connection' in amber, and an exclamation mark thro' the wifi symbol to the far right of the field.

Jerry

Hi Jerry
OK, this was my suspicion, and is in fact correct behavior.
PilotAware is a HotSpot, not an Internet Router, it has no connectivity to the internet, as I am sure you appreciate.

This does not stop it from providing the correct IP services required, ie connect to
- Navigation Packages (SkyDemon, EasyVFR, RunwayHD etc)
- Provide Web interface for configuration http://192.168.1.1

So please don't be concerned by the message 'No Internet Connection', this is absolutely normal and expected, but not an issue

Thx
Lee

Jerry Palmer

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2018, 09:18:12 pm »
Hi Lee

All makes sense of course, but the lack of SD connectivity (now resolved), suggested a dead hotspot.  Another snag is that traffic is not visible, probably due to ADB-B showing red on the home page. This is surprising, as connected USBs include ‘obda 2838’.  I have disconnected and re-connected the RTL-SDL dongle, but still see red ADS-B on the Home page.  A faulty dongle, perhaps?

BW
Jerry

exfirepro

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2018, 09:40:20 am »
Jerry,

Probably just no ADSB traffic around within your filtered (distance and altitude) range. The ADSB ‘light’ on the Home Screen goes red if no ADSB traffic has been received for (IIRCC) 5 seconds or so.

Your PAW ‘Traffic Screen’ (Tab on 192.168.1.1) will show all traffic being received and processed, but it will only appear ‘on screen’ in your Nav System if within your filter range. If you wan’t to check traffic on your Nav System, open your filters up wide both in PAW and your Nav System Settings.

Are you aware that detection of ‘Bearingless Targets’ (Mode C / S) is OFF by default in PilotAware and if you are using SkyDemon, you also need to enable display of Bearingless Targets in ‘Settings/Navigation’ - near the bottom of the list.

Regards

Peter

Jerry Palmer

« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2018, 01:20:03 pm »
Hi Peter ... thanks for your reply.

I’m not seeing any returns on the Traffic Screen (168.192.1.1}. Also, I’m under LHR/LGW arrivals so plenty of ADS-B traffic.

BW
Jerry

Admin

« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2018, 02:51:49 pm »
Hi Jerry

Please post a screenshot of the follwoing Pages
Home
Configure

can you visually inspect the ADSB antenna to ensure it is OK

Thx
Lee

Jerry Palmer

« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2018, 10:53:36 am »
Hi Jerry

Please post a screenshot of the follwoing Pages
Home
Configure

can you visually inspect the ADSB antenna to ensure it is OK

Thx
Lee

Hi Lee
I have tried to attach screen shots, but apparently the file sizes are too big.

Ian Melville

« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2018, 01:04:56 pm »
If you haven't got a graphics package that can do it, use one of the free on-line tools to resize the image.

Just one of many http://resizeimage.net

Paul_Sengupta

« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2018, 04:53:54 pm »
Make sure you're outside and have a good view of the sky to get a good GPS signal. Make sure the GPS has gone green. I assume you've now put your licence data in the unit?

Jerry Palmer

« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2018, 02:20:58 am »
Thank you for replies.  Classic retired, upgraded to Rosetta.