Author Topic: Rosetta Mount  (Read 6469 times)

BlackadderIA

Rosetta Mount
« on: July 01, 2018, 04:28:03 pm »
Just bought a Rosetta and am thinking about ways to mount it in the various club aircraft I fly. I’m looking at a suction cup mounting but was just wondering what fits the mount on the bottom? It’s the four holes with the brass threaded bit in between. I was told it’s a GoPro mount but the ones I’ve seen online look very different.
Thanks

exfirepro

Re: Rosetta Mount
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2018, 07:25:44 pm »
Blackadder,

There is a standard mount kit, designed to fit the case, with a ball and 'Go-Pro' type mount fitting. I think Keith may have them available for sale. Try an e-mail to 'support@pilotaware.com'.

Regards

Peter

robbydooo

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2018, 10:46:01 pm »
I have been using one of these suction mounts for about a month or so now and works really well.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0725H9JY4/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

BlackadderIA

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2018, 10:06:46 am »
That’s great, cheers. I’ve ordered the suction mount.

Used PAW for the first time on Tuesday - really impressed. Had it bodged onto my iPhone Ram mount with some Velcro. Not ideal as the antennas were canted about 45 degrees to fit - still seemed to work fine though.

Next project is a speaker (no ability to link into the intercom on share-o-planes).

Ian Melville

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2018, 10:28:17 am »
What headset do you use? Is it one with BlueTooth or an Aux input?

BlackadderIA

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2018, 07:51:55 pm »
Just an old pair of DCs for me so neither.
I bought a little speaker that plugs directly into the 3.5mm jack instead (there’s no cable, the little speaker is hard mounted onto the plug). At full volume I can hear it fine but I fly a fairly quiet aircraft (Tecnam).

Ian Melville

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2018, 06:46:40 am »
If you only fly the Tecnam, then I would investigate direct inputs to the radio or intercom Aux inputs. I make the assumption that due to the forced 8.33 upgrade you have a modern radion with such an input. However in your initial post you said it would be used in multiple aircraft belonging to the club. In the later case your options are limited to the speaker you already have or an earpiece under one side of your headset.

BlackadderIA

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2018, 10:40:49 am »
The club has two Tecnams, a 152 and a 172 but I’m mainly flying the Tecnams. Have the Rosetta on one of the suction mounts recommended above by Robbydooo stuck to the window behind the seat. Was a bit concerned about blanking as it’s well under the wing but seems fine, I guess flying a plastic plane helps!
The little speaker works really well but I’m investigating an Aux input connection.

Thanks for the help everyone

Seanhump

« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2018, 08:05:41 pm »
If you already have some RAM mounts, you can get a 1" ball with a the correct thread to suit the Rosetta brass socket …

https://www.amazon.co.uk/RAM-Mount-RAP-B-379U-252025-rap-b-379u-252025/dp/B00AHCUNG2/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1532199897&sr=8-6&keywords=ram+ball+camera
Pilotaware user ...

MikeD

« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2018, 05:47:13 pm »
Blackadder,

Why bother with a speaker? Search e-bay for these two items then add a lead from PAW to the headphone jacks...job done

E-bay items:

Mike
« Last Edit: July 23, 2018, 06:24:12 pm by MikeD »

Rogerpenney

« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2018, 08:24:46 pm »
I only heard about the Rossetta via word of mouth from another pilot, I already owned the old device. I upgraded to Rosetta and have the same problem as others.... how to mount it. Yes its got a screw hole in the base. Why the hell don’t  the instructions say what size the hole is and that Pilotaware sell a mount for it if that is the case?
Thanks to the link above I’ve bought the one from Amazon.
Communications are pretty bad with customers are they not??

rhine

« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2018, 10:53:07 pm »
I have my Rosetta mounted inside the nose of a Mainair Blade.

I put a broad sticky backed Velcro strip on the Rosetta and stuck the complimentary Velcro with Gorilla Glue as far forward in the nose as possible and allowed it to dry.

Provides for secure, tidy and removable mount at maybe 20 degrees off the vertical. Adjusted both aerials to point vertically down.

Powered through an Anker USB adapter as per recommendation switched through a fused relay supply off the ignition key.

Simple to set up and has proved reliable. Thanks

Lerk

« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2018, 09:30:23 am »
Why the hell don’t  the instructions say what size the hole is and that Pilotaware sell a mount for it if that is the case?

Assuming its the same as the stratux case, it'll be a standard tripod thread 1/4"UNC...

Giver

« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2018, 11:21:15 am »
Why the hell don’t  the instructions say what size the hole is and that Pilotaware sell a mount for it if that is the case?

Assuming its the same as the stratux case, it'll be a standard tripod thread 1/4"UNC...

exactly! the same mount that has been used on camera and video cameras for fifty years plus,