Author Topic: Weak WiFi signal  (Read 5009 times)

Venno

Weak WiFi signal
« on: August 06, 2018, 07:31:24 pm »
Hi, I have a very weak WiFi signal that makes it impossible to use the pilot aware unit.
If I’m more than 30cm from the WiFi dongle, I loose connection. It doesn’t matter if I try with my IPhone 6 running 11.4.1 (latest) or my iPad Pro, or iPad mini, at the airport, at home or in the middle of a field. I must be within 30cm direct line of sight to be connected.
Here are my stats:
-using the recommmended Anker battery with supplied PA power cable
-no Password, Mode B, channel 9, power 100mW, static IP
PA version 20170721
Any idea how to fix this?
Thank you
Venno

GeoffreyC

Re: Weak WiFi signal
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2018, 04:13:44 pm »
Hi, I have a very weak WiFi signal that makes it impossible to use the pilot aware unit.
If I’m more than 30cm from the WiFi dongle, I loose connection. It doesn’t matter if I try with my IPhone 6 running 11.4.1 (latest) or my iPad Pro, or iPad mini, at the airport, at home or in the middle of a field. I must be within 30cm direct line of sight to be connected.
Here are my stats:
-using the recommmended Anker battery with supplied PA power cable
-no Password, Mode B, channel 9, power 100mW, static IP
PA version 20170721
Any idea how to fix this?
Thank you
Venno

On the network tab there is the ability to change the power level of the wifi transmission.  My PAW was set to 10mw but after I did a clean install and refreshed the latest firmware I noticed the network settings had changed to 50mw and mode G (was mode B).

Try increasing the wifi power output,  and if you don't have the many additional power options then doing a full clean install of the software to the latest firmware will give more options like it did for me

Geoffrey

brinzlee

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2018, 09:15:33 am »
If its set to 100mw already it could be a faulty WiFi dongle....try lowering the power to 50mw or less, maybe its getting too hot and shutting down.....the 10mw range should work in the average size cockpit anyway.....

exfirepro

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2018, 09:17:20 pm »
Hi Venno,

What type of aircraft are we talking about here (metal?).... and where is the PilotAware mounted in relation to your phone/tablet(s)? 100mW is pretty strong for a WiFi signal. I normally run 10 or 20mW. With WiFi connections, too strong a signal can be worse than too weak a one. As per Brinz’s post, I would try reducing the signal to 50mW or lower. Remember you need to ‘apply’ the settings each time you make changes, which will result in a reboot before the WiFi comes back on.

Let us know how you get on.

Regards

Peter

Venno

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2018, 04:59:53 pm »
First, thank you all for your help. Here's the feedback:

Peter,
I'm flying a Cirrus SR-20, but regardless of aircraft or location, I have a poor WiFi signal. Like I said, I even tried it in the middle of a field with no improvements. (I was thinking more about interference with other B, channel 9 WiFis, so short of stepping into a Faraday Cage, I've really tried many areas, where there should be no interference)

brinzlee,
I have tried other Wifi Strengths, but also no luck. If I drop it down to 10 mW, at 2cm, I'm at 50% strength. I hit apply after each time. I have noticed that the Dongle is Hot, but if it were too hot and were shutting down because of it, I would think the symptoms would be- Great Connection> No Connection, but I have a weak connection that is consistent from boot.

The hot aspect did make me wonder if it was a failing Dongle- I know in hydraulics, heat=leaks/failure. I have also tried to install a new dongle (edimax N150) but in that case, I can't even find PA WiFi at 0 distance (I guess I would need to install the driver for it, but I don't know how).

Geoffrey,
I did a clean install (reformatted the card, reinstalled, reset the settings per P.21 of 180520-Operating-Instructions-.pdf) and still same results. At 100mw I can't get further than apx 30 cm.

Moffrestorer

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2018, 06:50:01 pm »
Maybe a good idea to order a replacement WiFi dongle. They are as cheap as chips! It must be an RT5370 type (see PAW operations manual). Not sure whether the Edimax N150 that you tried conforms.

exfirepro

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2018, 10:03:11 pm »
Venno,

There is definitely something strange going on here. 100mW is normally good for connectivity up to at least 50m or more (unless blocked by metalwork or other obstruction - which is why I asked the questions about your installation). If you are getting significantly reduced range, this is probably indicative of a defective WiFi dongle. In this respect, I'm afraid your edimax N150 dongle probably won't work - as Chris has explained, the WiFi dongle MUST be based on an RT5370 chipset. Other dongles will NOT work with the PAW software.

In the meantime, try re-fitting the original WiFi dongle, removing the other dongles (RTLSDR and GPS) then reboot the unit. Does the PAW WiFi Hotspot appear and does this improve the connectivity? If so, can you take and post a screengrab of your Home Screen and Logging Screen please and we can take things from there.

Regards

Peter

GeoffreyC

« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2018, 09:03:39 pm »
Venno,

There is definitely something strange going on here. 100mW is normally good for connectivity up to at least 50m or more (unless blocked by metalwork or other obstruction - which is why I asked the questions about your installation). If you are getting significantly reduced range, this is probably indicative of a defective WiFi dongle. In this respect, I'm afraid your edimax N150 dongle probably won't work - as Chris has explained, the WiFi dongle MUST be based on an RT5370 chipset. Other dongles will NOT work with the PAW software.

In the meantime, try re-fitting the original WiFi dongle, removing the other dongles (RTLSDR and GPS) then reboot the unit. Does the PAW WiFi Hotspot appear and does this improve the connectivity? If so, can you take and post a screengrab of your Home Screen and Logging Screen please and we can take things from there.

Regards

Peter
I'd agree, sounds like a faulty wifi dongle if you've tried a fresh install and still get connection difficulties with multiple different devices.   Have you tried the wifi dongle in different USB sockets in case its a faulty socket or the wifi isn't seated in right,  or do you know anyone else with PAW local to you that you could borrow parts from to try to confirm this theory.

Geoffrey

Keithvinning

« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2018, 08:15:56 pm »
Venno

Send me a pm with your address and I'll send you a new dongle

Keith

Venno

« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2018, 09:25:16 pm »
Geoffrey, yes, I’ve tried different ports, but nothing. Unfortunately I dont know anyone else who has a unit.

Peter, I‘ve tried removing all dongles and I took some screenshots but theyre too big to post. I can email them to you or anyone else that PMs me their email. Unfortunately, it didnt help with improving signal strength.

Keith, thank you, I’ve sent you a PM

Thank you all of you for your response, and appologies for delayed response. Things at home have been busy with arrival of our second child, so finding time for propperly trouble shooting has been a bit more difficult.

exfirepro

« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2018, 10:06:03 pm »
Hi Venno,

Yes, I’m still interested in getting to the bottom of what is going on. I will PM you my e-mail.

Regards

Peter

Venno

« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2018, 02:24:35 pm »
Hi Keith, I just received the Dongle- Tried it out and everything works great! I went across the room and still connected. Looks like the problem was indeed the Dongle. Thank you!!  :) :)

Peter, Geoffrey, Brinzlee, Thank you for your help as well!

-Venno