Author Topic: OGNRANGE offline at the moment  (Read 6234 times)

Winged_Jaguar

OGNRANGE offline at the moment
« on: August 04, 2018, 12:18:27 pm »
Sadly the very useful http://ognrange.onglide.com appears to have been taken offline with the following message to users.

"Sorry everybody but the new google maps pricing makes this service temporarily unavailable. I will keep collecting data and work on a solution when I get time."

Anyone any suggestions to help get this tool back online or helpful alternatives?

Chris

Ben Smith

• Engineering
  • Glider pilot, electronics engineer and Beekeeper.
    • View Profile
Re: OGNRANGE offline at the moment
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2018, 12:37:55 pm »
Live.glidernet.org switched from google to open street maps a few weeks ago for the same reason, (Google’s greed) and seems to be working very nicely (I actually prefer it to google maps) so hopefully OGNrange can do the same, it is a very useful service and would be much missed.

Ian Melville

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2018, 08:07:26 pm »
Google maps licence for small developers went silly several years ago and forced may apps to either disapear or be redeveloped. Open Street maps is the way to go.

PaulRuskin

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2018, 05:17:37 pm »
It's back up.

And very welcome.

Paul

Winged_Jaguar

Re: OGNRANGE Ported to Open Street Map API
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2019, 01:26:46 pm »
I'm pleased to see the new porting of the Onglide Web pages to the Open Street Map API.

The credits on their web page says "Thanks to Nick Bonniere for porting to Open Street Map API …..!".

Good work and thanks to him.

A Happy New Year to all
Chris

Deker

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2019, 05:19:56 pm »
Brilliant, much quicker too :-)

exfirepro

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2019, 05:42:44 pm »

Yes, it’s great to see this extremely useful website back up and running again. Nick Bonniere out in Canada 🇨🇦 did the original porting to Open Street Maps and the site was then hosted by Nick on his site withonestone.com/OGNRangeNew/OnglideRange.html and subsequently by a colleague of his on ognrange.newace.com until the original developer Melissa Jenkins managed to get the UK site back up and running a couple of days ago.

Grateful Thanks to all of them

Regards

Peter

Deker

« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2019, 08:21:41 pm »
Is it down again?

Seanhump

« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2019, 10:00:54 pm »
Seems to be online at the moment …
Pilotaware user ...

exfirepro

« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2019, 11:08:28 pm »
Hi guys,

Although it is operating - at least in part - Melissa Jenkins’ site....  http://ognrange.onglide.com  certainly isn’t working properly at the moment.

There seems to be a recurring problem which causes stations to show as ‘Down’ - (i.e. Red) if no Aircraft Data has been received for a relatively short period. The result is that recorded data is inaccurate and incomplete. My own station PWBalerno for example shows no PAW Traffic over the last 30 days, despite the fact that I have had a PAW unit running here regularly while testing Mode-S 3/D.

Melissa must be aware of this problem but runs the site on a voluntary basis and seems to have time availability issues which result in nothing happening to sort it. I have raised the issue yet again over on the OGN Forum, but there is obviously no guarantee that will produce any improvement in the short term.

In the meantime, the Canadian site https://ognrange.newacecorp.com is live and current, but unfortunately doesn’t have access to Mel’s historical data (i.e. prior to 1st January). It does however allow monitoring of recent traffic patterns and assessment following recent site changes.

Regards

Peter

Deker

« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2019, 08:22:29 am »
Hello Peter,

Thanks for the alternate link, this does work for me.

I also used Grafana as a quick check on station performance, but that has also been offline for sometime too.

Deker.