Author Topic: Traffic radar in SkyDemon  (Read 11359 times)

BobD

Re: Traffic radar in SkyDemon
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2019, 10:06:57 am »
Guys, I have some sympathy with Trevor here, I have never seen the Radar screen on my setup either, but just assumed it was only available on IOS, and I use Android exclusively, on both my HTC One phone, and Huawei 8" tablet.
Peter, until I get back to my aircraft (my PAW is behind the panel) I can't repeat your suggestions, but I use the options you say  and have never seen the small radar display on my main SD screen. Graham, I tried your Simulation exercise, and couldn't see the Radar display (however, I'm not sure how to "spawn" traffic).

exfirepro

« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2019, 10:18:05 am »
Hi Graham,

Sorry, I wasn’t trying to be controversial in any way or trying to ‘dis’ your post. You may well be correct in your assertion that the Virtual Radar Screen needs Traffic Info to trigger its appearance. For authoritative confirmation that question would need to be addressed to SkyDemon.

My point was intended solely to help Trevor determine why the Virtual Radar isn’t appearing on his setup. I was aware of the option to go ‘full screen’ on an iPhone (from an early conversation with Tim Dawson) but am pretty sure that this facility has never been extended to the android version due to the myriad of different android phones out there. The option certainly doesn’t appear on either of my android devices (or for that matter my mini iPads) and I don’t own an iPhone to check it.

Unfortunately, while the SkyDemon Manual does make reference to the option to display SD Virtual Radar in full screen on a separate smartphone to supplement your main tablet display, it makes no mention of any limitation to iPhones - it also BTW incorrectly refers to the Traffic Radar Screen appearing at the bottom left-hand corner of the SD screen.

I have submitted a post on the SD Forum to request clarification.

Best Regards

Peter
« Last Edit: December 29, 2019, 10:46:47 am by exfirepro »

exfirepro

« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2019, 10:36:40 am »
Hi Bob,

Although I normally use an iPad mini these days in the plane, (originally bought for it’s more useful 4x3 rather than widescreen format), I also run SD on various android devices - including a 2013 Nexus 7 tablet and my (now ageing) Samsung Galaxy S5 phone - both of which display the horizontal ‘Virtual Radar’ and the ‘Traffic Radar’ once I have selected ‘Go Flying’ with traffic device, but in both cases without the ability to go ‘Full Screen’ with the Traffic Radar on either device.

I have started a thread on the SkyDemon Forum, which you all might like to contribute to.

Regards

Peter

p.s. Just checked both android devices in case the problem was linked to screen orientation - it isn’t - the Traffic Radar Screen appears in both Landscape and Portrait Modes.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2019, 10:44:52 am by exfirepro »

Deker

« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2019, 11:02:04 am »
For info:-
I use android tablet which displays the small radar screen in the lower left corner while navigating.
Touching the small radar causes it to enlarge by about 2x. Another touch sends it back into the corner.

Occasionally I also use my android phone, which I can set to full screen "radar" as supplemental display to the tablet.
(When in nav mode it does not have the small radar screen as this would need a microscope to see).
Deker

grahambaker

« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2019, 11:16:38 am »
@ExfirePro - no offence taken, we’re all trying to help Trevor here!

For clarification, to get to the full screen traffic radar on an iPhone (and an Android one by the sound of it  :) ) you touch the SkyDemon ‘bubble’ top left when in Navigation mode, and select ‘Traffic’ from the pop up, but this option will not appear until a connection to PAW device is established (and possibly the first traffic message has been received).

exfirepro

« Reply #20 on: December 29, 2019, 11:35:00 am »
Curiouser and curiouser,

Derek,

What model of phone are you using? When you say you set it to ‘full screen Radar’ to supplement the display on your tablet, do you mean using PAW Radar or are you saying you get SD Traffic Radar Full Screen on your android phone?

Graham / Bob,

I certainly don’t get a ‘Traffic’ option on the ‘SD logo’ menu on either of my Android devices - even with traffic showing close by on the chart display.

What is going on here ?

I will await SD’s reply with interest.

Regards All

Peter
« Last Edit: December 30, 2019, 09:11:16 am by exfirepro »

PaulSS

« Reply #21 on: December 30, 2019, 01:16:43 pm »
What model of phone are you using? When you say you set it to ‘full screen Radar’ to supplement the display on your tablet, do you mean using PAW Radar

I was going to ask this very question: if you want the full radar screen on your iPhone and can't get it because the phone is too small for the Sky Demon radar display, why not just use the PAW radar display?

BobD

« Reply #22 on: December 30, 2019, 04:31:12 pm »
I'm the guy with the HTC One phone and 8" Huawei MediaPad  T3 tablet. The tablet is running Android 7.0
I can't recall ever seeing the Radar screen, and it certainly doesn't show in Simulation Mode. There is no Traffic option when tapping the SD bubble. GrahamB suggests it is possible to spawn traffic in Simulation mode, and have it show on the Radar screen, but I can't see how.
I hope to fly tomorrow with a Co-pilot, so I should have time to experiment on my tablet with PAW connected.

tlaundy

« Reply #23 on: December 30, 2019, 05:12:28 pm »
Hi Peter,
              Trevor is using an Ipad 6th Generation Model MR7G2B/A  running iPadOS 13.3.  no Sim card GPS chip. SD connects through 'PilotAware' on the Third-Part Devices Tab  in Setup.

I only flew two (very) short VFR sectors today but am certain that there was no PAW radar screen in the bottom right hand corner of the SD screen i.e at the end of the horizontal SD 'virtual radar' strip. Definitely airborne, in go flying mode and PAW providing the GPS signal to SD (Sorry for the pedantic terminology, I am trying to be precise).

I didn't have opportunity to fiddle with the vertical screening settings SD / PAW so that may still be a solution.

From other posters I am reassured that what I am seaching for does exist somehow  / somewhere.

Regards to all,
Thanks,
Trevor

Deker

« Reply #24 on: December 30, 2019, 05:35:57 pm »
What model of phone are you using? When you say you set it to ‘full screen Radar’ to supplement the display on your tablet, do you mean using PAW Radar

I was going to ask this very question: if you want the full radar screen on your iPhone and can't get it because the phone is too small for the Sky Demon radar display, why not just use the PAW radar display?

It (the full screen SD radar) worked on my old Samsung, don't think I've tried it on my newer Huawei p20. The SD radar is a bit more convenient to use instead of the web browser based access to get the PAW radar.
The PAW radar works on both tablet and phone.
I've been testing the Aircrew, so haven't used the PAW or SD (on phone) recently so can't be sure that the SD full screen radar hasn't been nobbled by one of the latest updates??

Deker

exfirepro

« Reply #25 on: December 30, 2019, 07:26:40 pm »
Hi Deker,

Thanks for the info. I have started a thread over on the SkyDemon Forum to ask the developers for clarification on the current status of their Traffic Radar for both iOS and android users. Nothing heard yet, but hopefully they’ll get back to me once the festive season has past.

Best Regards

Peter

exfirepro

« Reply #26 on: December 30, 2019, 07:44:52 pm »
Hi Bob / All,

Re the other part of your post, I have just run 3x simulations (without the tablet connected to PAW), one on my iPad and the others on my Android Nexus and Galaxy S5 phone. You can run the simulation after creating or opening a route, or if you just start simulation it runs a default flight near SD HQ.

To spawn aircraft, once you have started the simulation, just press and hold anywhere on the screen, which brings up the ‘What’s Here’ menu. Scroll to the bottom of this menu and you’ll find the ‘Spawn Aircraft’ option. You can then simply drag the aircraft into conflict with your own.

The SD Traffic Radar screen appears as soon as you spawn an aircraft. I then created a couple more aircraft and dragged them into conflict with my own. They appear on the Traffic Radar Screen as soon as they get inside its range (about 3 miles), together with SD on-screen visual and audio alerts in all 3 cases.

Hope this helps

Regards

Peter

tlaundy

« Reply #27 on: December 30, 2019, 11:23:45 pm »
Hi Peter,
             On my Ipad in simulation mode and selecting spawn from the what's here menu it works just as you describe -- with display of the PAW radar screen in the bottom right corner and, on the main SD screen,  ac in conflict images and female voice ID with height and bearing messages.

Now to get it to work in the real aeroplane.

Regards,
Trevor

BobD

« Reply #28 on: December 30, 2019, 11:36:53 pm »

Peter/Graham, thanks for the instructions on how to spawn aircraft. I have now tried this in Simulation Mode on both my phone & tablet.
On my phone, in normal Simulation Mode, the traffic option from the SD bubble doesn't appear, until I spawn another aircraft. When I do, tapping the traffic option takes me into a full screen radar display.
On my tablet, when I spawn an aircraft in Simulation Mode, the small radar screen appears on the bottom RIGHT of the display. Tapping this gives me the option of a one-shot increase in display size.
Trevor, whilst I was posting this response on the SD Forum, I see you have done something similar, and posted a response on here.
I'll see if both of my devices react the same way in a live environment if/when I fly tomorrow.

exfirepro

« Reply #29 on: December 31, 2019, 08:43:59 am »
Hi again Bob / All,

I just tried running the simulation again on my phone (Galaxy S5 with android 6.0.1 and SkyDemon 3.11.1.19238). After spawning aircraft, the Traffic Radar Screen appears as normal (as I would expect), with the one-tap enlargement option but no ‘Traffic’ option on the drop-down menu from the SkyDemon logo.

I then (reluctantly*) updated SkyDemon to the latest android version 3.13.1.18421 to check if this was a SkyDemon version issue. On re-running the simulation, however, the results are exactly the same - still no ‘Traffic’ option on the drop-down menu from the SkyDemon logo.

I am about to head off to the airfield so will have another go in flight and let you know how I get on.

Best Regards

Peter

* The reason for my ‘reluctance’ is that for PilotAware testing purposes I have been trying to keep one each of my android and iOS devices running on a version of SkyDemon which still displays ambiguity circles for Mode-S 3D (MLAT) Aircraft and after a recent iOS system update, the  App Store over-ruled my preference settings and updated SD on my second iPad, leaving my phone as the only device which would still display Ambiguity Circles on SkyDemon.  Fortunately, with the recent significant improvements in PAW OGN-R this is no longer significant..