Author Topic: Traffic radar in SkyDemon  (Read 11569 times)

Mike Woodbridge

Traffic radar in SkyDemon
« on: July 28, 2018, 01:34:22 pm »
When I first set up my Pilotaware I could see the little radar showing traffic  in SkyDemon. This is no longer the case. The PAW connects vis the SD. I can see the radar working in the PAW page. Does anyone have any set up instructions or anything I can do in SD to get this working?
This a is on an IPAd with gsm and Wi-fi.
Thanks in advance.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2018, 01:38:05 pm by Mike Woodbridge »

grahambaker

Re: Traffic radar in SkyDemon
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2018, 06:33:47 am »
You have to be connected to your PAW and in ‘Go Flying’ mode for the traffic radar screen to appear.

I’ve also a feeling that it may not display until the first traffic message is passed to SD by PAW, but I may be wrong on that point.

Mike Woodbridge

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2018, 10:12:17 am »
Thanks, I have been connected to SD and in go flying mode. I have seen the radar on SD. It no longer comes up. 

Deker

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2018, 10:36:03 am »
Hi Mike,

You also have to have set up in Sky Demon a traffic receiver.
I think if this is set to NONE, then the radar display is not shown.

Go to Settings
3rd party devices
select Pilot Aware (or flarm etc)

Page 86 of the manual. http://www.skydemon.aero/help/manual.pdf

Deker

Mike Woodbridge

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2018, 10:42:27 am »
Thanks, I have been using the the third party connect system set to PAW.

Mike Woodbridge

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2018, 08:27:44 pm »
I have now tried sky demon at max range and cannot see the traffic  that s showing on the PAW radar page. It is connected, I have no mice’s why n traffic is showing in sd.

grahambaker

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2018, 10:12:54 pm »
I’m not sure how mice come into it unless they’ve nibbled a cable somewhere!

Are you seeing any traffic on the main SD Chart? If not, check your +- filter setting in SD.

Admin

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2018, 10:24:53 pm »
Please post screenshot of
Home page
Configure page
Thx
Lee

exfirepro

« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2018, 07:05:36 am »
@Mike Woodbridge,

Just catching up on Forum posts after returning from holiday and notice that this thread seems to have dropped off the Radar (no pun intended). Have you resolved your problem yet or do you still need assistance?

Regards

Peter

tlaundy

« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2019, 01:05:46 pm »
I would be grateful for assistance. I am a regular user of PAW and use it as the GPS source driving SkyDemon. I can only see the PAW radar screen by accessing 192.168.1.1

in SD I get traffic warnings (rings red  / green around my aircraft and voice alerts) but cannot see a radar screen on the SD display.

I am an experienced pilot but a computer numpty so any explanations will have to be very basic.

Thanks,
Trevor

Admin

« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2019, 10:25:10 am »
Hi Trevor

Is it the max height difference settings, in either pilotaware or skydemon
I think skydemon defaults to 6000ft, and PilotAware 50000ft

Thx
Lee

tlaundy

« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2019, 06:03:20 pm »
Thanks, Lee,
I will fiddle with those values when I next fly.
Trevor

grahambaker

« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2019, 09:09:35 pm »
On a tablet, the traffic radar won’t appear until it receives its first positional target, and it will appear in the bottom right hand corner of the screen. Touching it will provide some options.

On a phone, the radar is displayed as an alternate full screen, accessed by touching the SD logo bubble, and selecting the option from the pop up.

All of this in navigation mode, obviously, but you can test it by spawning traffic in simulation mode.

exfirepro

« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2019, 11:02:16 pm »
Hi Trevor,

Can you give us a few more details - in particular, what device are you using to display SkyDemon and what connectivity option you have selected?

I’m not sure I agree with Graham’s statement above that ‘...the traffic radar won’t appear until it receives it’s first positional target’ as I’ve certainly seen it with no traffic showing. The SkyDemon Radar Screen should certainly appear automatically at the bottom right of your screen (below the main display, to the right of the main horizontal ‘Virtual Radar’ display), but both of these lower displays only appear once you have started SD by selecting ‘Go Flying - Use PilotAware’ and have taken off, or at the very least moved ‘off blocks’.

The SkyDemon Radar Screen will NOT, however, be displayed if you are using a particularly small display screen (e.g. a small phone), but with the exception that you can set up an iPhone (but not an Android phone) to display solely the SD Radar Display - (which is why I asked what device you are using).

If you haven’t already done so, I suggest taking a look at the SkyDemon User Manual and Tutorial Videos here...

http://skydemon.aero/help/ (see page 89 of the Manual for info on the Traffic Radar).

You should also be aware that the circles you are seeing around your aircraft on SkyDemon are alerts for ‘Bearingless’ traffic - where we have decoded the aircraft’s altitude, and (where available) it’s Reg ID, from its transponder response to a Radar ‘ping’, but don’t have any info on the aircraft’s horizontal position (as this isn’t transmitted) by ‘raw’ transponders. These aircraft won’t appear in the SD Radar Display. You should, however, also be seeing moving known position aircraft on your SkyDemon display depending on what ‘Show within vertically’ settings you have set in both PilotAware/Configure and SkyDemon/Settings/Navigation Options and what traffic is within range.

If in doubt about connectivity options and configuration, please have a good read through the PilotAware User Instructions here...

https://pilotaware.com/Documents/Operating%20Instructions%2020190621.pdf?_t=1561197960

Then please feel free to come back with any specific queries if you are still unsure or can’t get things sorted.

Best Regards

Peter
« Last Edit: December 28, 2019, 11:14:23 pm by exfirepro »

grahambaker

« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2019, 06:40:40 am »
I’m not sure I agree with Graham’s statement above that ‘...the traffic radar won’t appear until it receives it’s first positional target’ as I’ve certainly seen it with no traffic showing.
Yes, the SD radar display is often present without itself displaying traffic, when any traffic is beyond its fairly limited range. However, I’m sure it was my experience in the early days when I was experimenting with settings that the radar panel wouldn’t pop up on a tablet until the first traffic message was passed to SD by PAW.

I was unaware that the full screen option wasn’t available on Android phones.