Author Topic: dipole for 1090 / ADS-B. SD doesn't receive GPS  (Read 11674 times)

neilmurg

Re: dipole for 1090 / ADS-B. SD doesn't receive GPS
« Reply #30 on: July 04, 2018, 11:41:23 pm »
'you are running quite an old Raspbian 'Kernel' (3.18.7-v7+)'
exfirepro:- reloaded from scratch now on kernel=4.9.35-v7+
I will be using the 2 aerials and the GPS extender to keep the PilotAware out of the sun
I'm trying to teach the rest of the group how to use PAw, some are good, some .. meh
I will be sending you the Bridge this week, with a bundle of used fivers. And sourcing a Pi 3+(?) (whichever is current for you) and getting 2 low voltage SDRs. 1 might be included in the Rosetta upgrade, I'll check.

I will upgrade the other 2 PAw (that I passed on at cost) when/if they want to. But they really need to take the lead on that. If I kill em' they won't learn nothin'.
Thanks for the help, let me know if you want any more diagnostics/feedback.
Regards

exfirepro

« Reply #31 on: July 05, 2018, 09:09:14 am »
Hi again Neil,

'you are running quite an old Raspbian 'Kernel' (3.18.7-v7+)'
exfirepro:- reloaded from scratch now on kernel=4.9.35-v7+
I will be using the 2 aerials and the GPS extender to keep the PilotAware out of the sun
I'm trying to teach the rest of the group how to use PAw, some are good, some .. meh
I will be sending you the Bridge this week, with a bundle of used fivers. And sourcing a Pi 3+(?) (whichever is current for you) and getting 2 low voltage SDRs. 1 might be included in the Rosetta upgrade, I'll check.

I will upgrade the other 2 PAw (that I passed on at cost) when/if they want to. But they really need to take the lead on that. If I kill em' they won't learn nothin'.
Thanks for the help, let me know if you want any more diagnostics/feedback.
Regards

All good on the Kernel update, it ensures that the new PAW software is running on the most up to date ‘base’, which should eliminate the likelihood of issues due to PAW asking the Pi to do something the older Kernel wasn’t designed to handle.

If you’re ordering a replacement RPi, go for an RPi3B NOT the RPi3B+ as that uses slightly different architecture which isn’t supported yet.

Yes, the Rosetta upgrade kit includes 1x low-power SDR. If ordering a second one be careful where you order from as not all ‘Stratux type’ SDRs advertised are the Version 2 type.

I think the intention is to make a ‘Weather Update Kit’ - which will include a second SDR - available at some point in the near future, but as I understand it Keith & Co. are still sourcing appropriate antennas and splitter cables, so not sure yet when this will be available.

Best Regards

Peter

Best Regards

Peter

Keithvinning

« Reply #32 on: July 15, 2018, 09:09:46 pm »
Hi Chaps
The answer is I now have sourced the bespoke Y cables so they fit Rosetta.
I'm still not sure how may people really want weather in the UK? there are only 5 stations in the South and its seems bit like a facility that no one wants .

Am I wrong is this the Game Changer that some are looking for.

Answers please to help me prioritise

Keith

Ancien

« Reply #33 on: July 15, 2018, 10:41:06 pm »
Keith
I really think this weather broadcast is a non starter in the UK.
For goodness sake you can listen to ATIS almost everywhere and it's not going to give you the weather at Bogfarm International.

The US is a vast country and people fly long distances where the weather can change dramatically.

In the UK you read the forecasts for a relatively short flight. If it is marginal you are very stupid to continue.

Of course all the pretend airline pilots will want it to go with their stupendously expensive flat screens and try to make us all have compulsory ADSB so they convince themselves they are flying in a fully known environment.

Can't recommend a purchase.

Cheers Bob

Paul_Sengupta

« Reply #34 on: July 16, 2018, 10:39:19 am »
I've flown up through France with a friend of mine who has the Golze in-flight satellite weather system. It proved very valuable when trying to see if we could avoid the thunderstorm fronts. We saw that we would be flying through the gaps and that gave us the confidence to continue. An in-flight weather radar picture is excellent. However it is, as stated, more for "getting somewhere" flights than for the local bacon butty run.

I was coming back from France once in my aeroplane, and the way of getting the weather for a few airfields (Shoreham, Oxford Kidlington, um, something else, can't remember, maybe Middle Wallop) while still over the channel was to call London Information and get them to relay them. It would have been a lot easier just to tap on my tablet. Yes, there are only a small number of broadcast stations at the moment, but hopefully these will increase in number, and hopefully there will be some on the south coast broadcasting out to sea!