Author Topic: Ghosting again?  (Read 4504 times)

a.alexeev.p

• welcome to the PilotAware forum
    • View Profile
Ghosting again?
« on: July 16, 2018, 05:50:57 pm »
Hello :) I flew yesterday and experienced something that seems like ghosting - aircraft was shown as red circle in skydemon so mode C/S and also read out to me by an audio alert. It was 2000 feet above and for about 1 minute kept descending to about 1300 feet above with red circle still showing, so I even asked if the aircraft was on frequency. I am not sure now, but I think it showed registration as GECOT. I was flying level at 1300 QNH.

If somebody could help please - the track is attached and the traffic was shown somewhere between 16:40 zulu and 16:50 zulu. The most concerning part for me is probably that I have just replayed the whole track over again using skydemon and that traffic was not shown, so something isn't right.

20180520 Software version, Anker power bank with originally supplied cable from PAW, PAW Classic, iPad Pro 10.5

Track : https://www.dropbox.com/s/7ervnscwf7zy6sn/2018-07-15_16-07.trk?dl=0
« Last Edit: July 16, 2018, 05:58:42 pm by a.alexeev.p »

a.alexeev.p

• View Profile
Re: Ghosting again?
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2018, 05:58:16 pm »
OK, I think I found him both in the track and flightradar (https://www.flightradar24.com/data/aircraft/g-ecot#1d2387f5) - it was Birmingham traffic whereas I was returning to Coventry... So, the question remains why it didn't show the time I played the track (and had audio on as well)

Paul_Sengupta

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2018, 06:58:40 pm »
I don't think the playback plays back bearingless targets.

This does highlight the fact that FlyBe don't have ADS-B!

a.alexeev.p

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2018, 07:12:39 pm »
Hmm could be an explanation, yet I don’t see a reason why it should be like that... i made playbacks in the past and cant remember if it did - need to check. I just wanted to amke sure there is no a bigger problem as couple months ago on the ground I had an aircraft taxying 10 meters in front of me with my PAW antennas on dashboard seeing it clealry, but it still showed up as a green ring when PAW first picked it up 200 meters away - just thought it might eb connected or something. Anyway, thanks for always being kind and helpful, Paul:)

Ian Melville

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2018, 07:41:47 pm »
I can confirm that Bearingless Targets are not played back. I mentioned this a long time ago as Lee gave me the impression they should playback, but the question was lost to other issues. I wanted to play them back to get the optimal filter settings while at home.

Admin

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2018, 09:37:23 pm »
Afraid they dont playback, its on the todo

Regarding aircraft on the ground showing as green, are you sure it was the aircraft you thought it was ?
It is unlikely to be interrogated whilst on the ground I think ?

Can we change the subject of the topic ?
This is confusing as there is no ghosting hete I am sure

Thx
Lee

a.alexeev.p

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2018, 09:40:38 pm »
Thank you very much for your replies everyone - the community is very kind as always.

Regarding aircraft on the ground it is indeed an interesting one. I am sure it is same aircraft because I have flown it before and SD showed registration. But it is indeed definitely not ADS-B hence shoukd not have showed up in the first place. Though I must say PAW is very handy on the ground at busy airfields :)

PeterG

« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2018, 09:50:25 pm »
Flying past Bristol yesterday I had a yellow circle appear with an Easyjet id and an indicated height that would have put it on the group.

a.alexeev.p

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2018, 09:53:23 pm »
Flying past Bristol yesterday I had a yellow circle appear with an Easyjet id and an indicated height that would have put it on the group.

On the group? Sorry, unknown jargon by me, but I bet it was meant to be a good joke :D :D :D

exfirepro

« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2018, 11:10:48 am »
Alex,

I think Peter meant to type ..'on the ground.'

CAT on the ground at an airport - being interrogated by ground radar will show as 'Mode S', so if you are in range (which at up to 500 Watts can be quite a long way away) they will show up on your screen via PilotAware. If this is a regular issue, you could try running in Ultra-short Range when in the vicinity of major airports. This was designed specifically to minimise this sort of 'interference'.

Regards

Peter R

PeterG

« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2018, 12:38:28 pm »
Thanks Peter - getting dyslexic in my dotage.   :-[

To be honest, I'll just live with this, as once I'm in the air, I won't be changing settings.

a.alexeev.p

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2018, 02:05:12 pm »
Alex,

I think Peter meant to type ..'on the ground.'

CAT on the ground at an airport - being interrogated by ground radar will show as 'Mode S', so if you are in range (which at up to 500 Watts can be quite a long way away) they will show up on your screen via PilotAware. If this is a regular issue, you could try running in Ultra-short Range when in the vicinity of major airports. This was designed specifically to minimise this sort of 'interference'.

Regards

Peter R

Oh hahah I see! Well, I’d rather see more, than less so I probably stay with the default settings for now or may be actually even try to put more sensitive to see what happnes. Thanks a gain!